Third Party Insurance
Third party insurance cover is the basic insurance that is compulsory for every car owner to hold while driving. It gives coverage to the third parties for their damages caused due to an accident with the insured car. Also, being a mandatory cover, it delivers legal compliance as well along with the coverage.
- Save upto 75%*Lowest Car Premiums
- 45 Lakh+Happy Customers
- Claim Support7 days a week
*TP price for less than 1000cc four wheeler. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers which are subject to modification. Terms and conditions apply
What is Third Party Insurance Cover?
Third party insurance policy provides coverage from all the third party liabilities which may arise during an accident or mishap such as involving your car. This insurance policy provides coverage for third party liabilities such as bodily injuries or demise of the third party or property damages for upto Rs. 7.5 lakhs. A third party insurance policy has been made mandatory for every car owner in India as per Motor Vehicles Act.
How Does Third Party Insurance Work?
Under a third party insurance policy financial assistance is provided in case any third party liabilities such as injuries, death and property damage that may happen due to an accident or mishap involving the insured vehicle.This insurance cover lessens the financial burden of the policyholder for any damage sustained by a third party with the insured car.
In case of an accident, the insured person should intimate the insurer immediately about the mishap before raising a claim. After the claim is raised, the insurance company appoints a surveyor to examine the extent of damages and verify the estimated repair cost. After the verification process, the insurance company pays off the amount of the claim.
Importance of Third Party Car Insurance Policy
As per Motos Tariff Act, third party insurance policy has been made compulsory for every vehicle owner in India. A 3rd party insurance policy is known for providing the most essential and basic type of coverage. This car insurance policy is very affordable as compared to other car insurance policies in India. Besides, helping you comply with the law, a third party insurance policy for your vehicle provides basic coverage which is very essential while driving a car.
Why Do You Need Third Party Insurance?
Apart from the legal clause, third party car insurance comes in handy when the insured car hits another vehicle. Nobody can gauge the level of damage caused by an accident as it can even lead to injury, disability and sometimes death as well. In such cases, the victim is allowed to register a case claiming compensation. Here third party insurance comes into the picture. A 3rd party insurance policy provides coverage to the insured vehicle in case of any liability claim that may arise for causing bodily injury, property damage or demise of the third party.
As per the guidelines of IRDAI, while there is no limit in case of death, the property damage coverage is limited up to Rs 7.5 lakh in the case of car insurance. It is better to stick to third party liability insurance if the insured vehicle is more than 5 years old.
Calculate Your Car Insurance
What All Is Covered Under A Third-Party Insurance Cover?
Although the third party car insurance cover holds a limited coverage, still it is crucial to cover for the below-mentioned coverage:
- Third Party Property Damage: All third-party property damage is covered under the third party only cover up to Rs.7.5 lakh.
- Third Party Death/Bodily Injury: Under a third-party plan, the insurer provides 100% compensation in case of death of a third party and 50% indemnification in case of partial blindness or loss of a limb. The compensation amount for third party liabilities is decided by a court of law.
What Is Not Covered Under Third Party Car Insurance?
Under a 3rd party car insurance policy, damage sustained by the insured vehicle or its driver/owner is covered. To get coverage for own damages to the insured vehicle, you can purchase a comprehensive car insurance policy which already includes third party liabilities or standalone own-damage car insurance along the third party insurance policy. Also, to insure yourself or the driver of your car you need to opt for a personal accident cover or paid driver cover, as the case may be.
Key Features of Third Party Car Insurance
The following are the features of a third party insurance policy:
|Key Feature||Availability with Third Party Cover|
|Property Damage||Available with a limit of Rs. 7.5 Lakh|
|Personal Accident Cover||Available|
|Purchasing Options||Online and Offline|
|Own Damage Costs||Not Covered|
Compare: Third-Party Insurance Vs Comprehensive Insurance
Here are some differences between a third party car insurance policy and a comprehensive car insurance policy:
|Basis||Third-Party Car Insurance||Comprehensive Car Insurance|
A 3rd party insurance policy provides compensation for bodily injuries or demise of a third party (as per the court of law) and property damages for upto Rs. 7.5 lakh.
Comprehensive car insurance policies offer compensation for damage caused to the insured vehicle as well as the injury/death of a third party. It also offers coverage up to a maximum cap of Rs 7.5 lakh in case of third party property damage.
|Add-ons||You cannot purchase an add-on cover along a third party insurance policy.||A number of add-on covers such as Zero Depreciation Cover, Consumables Cover, etc. are offered along with comprehensive car insurance policies against an extra premium.|
|Cost||Third party insurance is compared to cheaper to comprehensive policies due to its limited coverage.||Comprehensive plans are comparatively costlier due to extensive coverage.|
What are the Benefits of Buy/Renew Third Party Four Wheeler Insurance?
Apart from providing coverage from third party liability that may arise during an accident involving your car below mentioned are some other benefits of purchasing third party car insurance:
- Helps in Complying With the Laws: Third party car insurance policy is mandatory in India and if you are caught driving your car without or without a third party insurance policy, you can be penalized. Hence, having a third party insurance policy help you to comply with laws.With the help of this car insurance policy, you can drive your car legally without violating any traffic rule and save yourself from any type of fine or imprisonment.
- Peace of Mind: In case of a mishap there can be immense financial pressure on people. If a third party is involved it becomes even more cumbersome. With third party insurance, you can be assured these liabilities will be covered which ultimately boosts your morale and lets you drive more freely.
- Low Premium Amount: The third-party insurance is available at very low and affordable prices and proves to be extremely useful in times of crisis. Its reasonable rate is also an advantage of this car insurance policy which lets you find a good amount of coverage by investing a low amount.
- Cost-Effective Insurance Plan: The coverage provided to a policyholder under third-party liability insurance is cost-effective in regards to the cost and payable premium amount. Irrespective of the fact whether it has to be used as an important or as an add-on part of the basic insurance cover, it completely benefits the car owner. However, when calculating the compensation amount, the annual income of the car owner is considered.
- Simple, Seamless and Quick Insurance Buying Process: The buying procedure of third-party insurance is a very simple and swift process. Any person can easily purchase the third-party insurance cover online from the comfort of their home or any other place. Moreover, the policyholder can also choose to get their insurance plan renewed online easily by following the simple instructions laid by the insurance company or web insurance aggregator.
- Offers Financial Assistance against Legal Liabilities: Legal liabilities arising towards a third party property or person can be extremely financially draining and at times can even result in bankruptcy in case the vehicle owner is unable to pay for the damage or loss to the third party. This is when a third-party insurance plan comes to the aid as it offers the policyholder with much-needed financial assistance and helps them in paying off the third-party liability without robbing them of their savings.
How to Buy Third Party Car Insurance Online?
The following steps will guide you to purchase third party car insurance online:
Step 1: Visit our Website InsuranceDekho.
Step 2: In the ‘Get Your Quote’ section provide your car registration number. In case you do not have it you can also provide your car’s model, make and car’s registration year.
Step 3: Enter your personal details such as name and mobile number. All the quotes in your category will be visible on your screen.
Step 4: Select the policy that suits your needs and price point.
Step 5: Make the payment for the selected policy and the policy document will be sent to your email ID.
How to Claim Third Party Car Insurance?
To get compensation for the mishap from the insurance provider the policyholder must follow the following steps:
- The policyholder must inform the insurance company about the incident and before the stipulated time mentioned. If claims are made after this time the insurance company can reject them.
- An FIR must be filed by the insurance holder reporting the incident at the closest police station and a copy of the same must be submitted to the insurance company at the time of filing the claim or during the process.
- The insurance holder must follow the due process and submit the required documents for completing the claim process.
- The insurance company will send a surveyor to check and assess the damage. After this, a report will be filed.
- The claim will be completed based on this report.
Points to Keep In Mind While Raising A Third Party Car Insurance Claim
Here are a few things which you should consider while making a third party claim:
1. The FIR should be lodged in the case of an accident, after which the insurance company should also be intimated about the event.Without these actions, the claim process may not release the required compensation.
2. The third-party should present the relevant evidence in order to prove the mistake of the other party.
3. It is always recommended to settle the minor damage and loss cases out of court since the procedure of registering an FIR as well as the court proceedings are time-consuming.
4. No limit is set on coverage of personal damages sustained by the third party, while for the property damage, the maximum liability is limited up to Rs 7.5 lakhs.
Car Insurance for Popular Car Models
Car Insurance Add-ons
Third Party Car Insurance
- Bajaj Allianz
- Future Generali
- Hdfc Ergo
- Icici Lombard
- Iffco Tokio
- New India
- Raheja Qbe
- Royal Sundaram
- Tata Aig
- United India
- Universal Sompo
Disclaimer: InsuranceDekho does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurance company or insurance plan.
Find Right Car Insurance Quotes by Cars Body Type
- View Renault KWID Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Swift Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Baleno Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Tiago Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai i20 Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Alto K10 Insurance Quotes
- View Rolls-Royce Phantom Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City 4th Generation Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Dzire Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Verna Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Tigor Insurance Quotes
- View Renault Kiger Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Thar Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Fortuner Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Brezza Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra XUV700 Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Nexon Insurance Quotes
- View Renault Triber Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Innova Crysta Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Ertiga Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti XL6 Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Vellfire Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Marazzo Insurance Quotes
Learn about Third Party Insurance
- A third party insurance policy is mandatory to be held by every car owner while driving on the road,
- Read this post if you want to understand the difference between first-party and third-party in car insurance.
- Guide on what is third-party insurance and what is its importance in car insurance.
- Is third party or comprehensive car insurance better? Let us find out.
- Read this post to learn how to purchase a third part car insurance online.
- Check this post to learn how to change a third party car insurance into comprehensive car insurance.
Car Insurance Companies Reviews & Ratings
Good support for policy renewal by Loknath. He patiently explained all the queries and pros and cons of each p...
Very good experience
Very very good... easy and well explained. All conditions are clear and well explained. Very good experience...
Third Party Car Insurance FAQ
What is a third party car insurance?
A third party car insurance safeguards the policyholder against any damages or loss caused to the third party individual or third party property due to the insured car. As per the Indian Motor Tariff Act, it is mandatory for the car owners to at least get their car insured under a third party insurance plan.
What all is covered under a third party insurance?
All the car owners must get insured under third party insurance to get protection against third party property damage, third party loss of life, permanent and partial disability and bodily injuries.
Is a third party insurance plan mandatory for all the car owners?
Yes, as per Indian Motor Tariff Act, it is mandatory for all the car owners to at least get insured under a third party insurance plan in order to drive their vehicle on the public roads in India.
What is the process for getting third party insurance for my 10-year-old car?
To opt for a third party insurance for your old car, simply visit the InsuranceDekho website and choose the ‘car’ tab. Fill in all the required information like registration number of the car, model, variant, make and click on ‘submit’ thereafter. Select the insurance plan offered by different insurance companies. Then, after making the payment you will get your policy document at your registered email-ID.
Can I buy a zero depreciation add-on cover along with my third party car insurance plan?
No, you cannot purchase a zero depreciation add-on cover along with your third party car insurance plan. The add-on covers offered by various insurance companies can be purchased only with a comprehensive insurance plan or standalone own damage car insurance plan.
Is 3rd party insurance mandatory for cars?
Yes, third party insurance is a mandatory insurance plan for cars.
Which is a better choice; a third party car insurance or a comprehensive car insurance?
A third party car insurance offers coverage only against the third party liabilities be it property or person due to any mishap with the insured car. On the other hand, a comprehensive car insurance plan offers complete protection against both third party liability as well as own damage.
Car Insurance News
- IRDAI Fixes Latest Premiums For Third-party Bike A...
IRDAI has fixed latest premium for both car and bike insuran...21 November 2022
- Is Tree Falling On Car Covered By Insurance?
Will you be compensated by your car insurance provider if a ...21 November 2022
- Do Sports Cars Cost Higher Insurance Premium?
Know more about sports car insurance having high premiums.18 November 2022
- Key Car Insurance Terms You Should Know About
According to the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, it is mandatory...15 November 2022
- Is animal attack covered under car insurance?
Animals might be difficult to avoid since they can suddenly ...10 November 2022
- Is Third Party Insurance Enough For Car?
There is a lot of confusion about whether the third party in...03 October 2022
- How To Check Car Insurance Validity Online?
You can find information such as the accident vehicle's hist...17 October 2022
- Does The Colour Of Your Car Affect Your Insurance ...
Interestingly, the colour of your car will affect your insur...07 October 2022
- Is It Compulsory To Buy Insurance From Car Dealer...
When purchasing an insurance coverage, it's common to have s...18 October 2022
- How Much Does A Claim Affect Car Insurance?
How does making a car insurance claim affects the premium fo...03 November 2022