IDV Calculator - IDV Calculation in Car Insurance
Purchasing a car insurance policy is a long-term investment. There is an ample number of car insurance companies offering new policy as well as policy renewal plans at a competitive market rate. Investors prefer taking a comprehensive car insurance policy at an affordable premium rate. An important thing to keep in mind before choosing a policy is IDV (Insured Declared Value) along with premium rates. As an insurance policyholder, it becomes important to know the nitty-grittiest of IDV.
- Save upto 75%*Lowest Car Premiums
- 45 Lakh+Happy Customers
- Claim Support7 days a week
*TP price for less than 1000cc four wheeler. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers which are subject to modification. Terms and conditions apply
Calculate your Car IDV
What Is IDV Full Form?
All of us are aware there are many terms of motor insurance which can be tough to know but are acutely vital to be conversant with, one particular term is IDV. IDV full form describes Insured Declared Value.
What is Insured Declared Value (IDV) In Car Insurance?
IDV (Insured Declared Value) is the maximum sum assured by the insurer that a policyholder is supposed to receive in terms of compensation at the event of total damage or loss occurred to the insured vehicle. It is referred to as the current market value of the insured’s car. In other words, IDV is the amount that a policyholder can claim for reimbursement against the damage caused to the insured vehicle.
When a policyholder opts for a comprehensive car insurance policy, IDV is taken into account. The amount of premium payable by the policyholder is directly proportional to IDV. More the IDV more will be the amount of premium although a premium is usually 2% to 3% of the total value of IDV.
Popular Car Model Variants with Insured Declared Value (IDV)Here are some examples of calculated IDV of the most popular car model variants. You can use IDV calculator for calculating Insured Declared Value according to the different vehicle variants.
Car Model Variant
|IDV*||Zero Depreciation (Add on)*||Premium (Basic)*|
|Maruti Swift LXI||₹ 3,28,616||₹ 1,807||₹ 8,416|
|Hyundai Venue E Diesel||₹ 5,58,000||₹ 3,069||₹ 15,787|
|Tata Tiago NRG||₹ 3,96,000||₹ 2,178||₹ 10,052|
|Mahindra Scorpio S4 Plus 9S||₹ 8,13,998||₹ 4,477||₹ 22,384|
|Chevrolet Spark 1.0 LS||₹ 2,49,362||₹ 1,371||₹ 8,031|
|Toyota Platinum Etios||₹ 4,90,115||₹ 2,941||₹ 14,916|
|Honda City New||₹ 6,18,441||₹ 3,315||₹ 11,243|
|Ford Ikon 1.3 CLXi||₹ 3,94,839||₹ 2,172||₹ 10,646|
*The premium rates are calculated on the basis of the city (Delhi) and year of registration (2019).
IDV Calculator - Get Car Insurance with High IDV
IDV Calculation - The insurance company determines the current value of the insured’s car by taking a few factors into consideration such as brand, model, and age of the car. IDV is determined on the basis of the selling price fixed by the manufacturer and the percentage of depreciation charged on it.
The simple formula to calculate IDV is:
IDV = Manufacturer’s registered price – depreciation
The cost of accessories that were not fitted by the manufacturer at the time of delivery will be calculated as an additional. In formula will also include components of the accessories and then the IDV will be calculated as:
Insured Declared Value = (Company’s listed price – Depreciation value) + (Cost of vehicle accessories - Depreciation value of the accessories)
Car Depreciation Rate Table for IDV CalculationHere is the depreciation schedule to fix IDV of a car:
Age of Car
Depreciation Rate for Calculating IDV
Under 6 months
6 months - 1 year
1 year - 2 years
2 years - 3 years
3 years - 4 years
4 years - 5 years
5 years - 10 years
Above 10 years
The final value of the insured vehicle found after deducting depreciation is the maximum compensation that the policyholder can claim at the time of loss or theft. It is very important to know about the value of your IDV. Never reduce your IDV for paying less premium; otherwise, you will end up getting fewer claims and incur a loss.
Impact of IDV in Car Insurance Policy
Insured Declared Value plays a very crucial part when it comes to calculating the own damage components of the car insurance premium. Though own damage cover is optional and only be available if the policyholder is opting for a comprehensive car insurance policy. The policyholder may or may not opt for this cover, but the own damage premium will be estimated according to IDV. People who will opt for their own damage cover will get compensation in case of damage or theft of the insured vehicle. The premium for own damage cover will be 2% to 3% of the IDV of the insured vehicle. Though it may vary based on certain factors such as the age and cubic capacity of the vehicle. Hence, the higher will be the IDV, the higher will be your car insurance premium.
At the time of renewal of the car insurance policy, the premium charged to the policyholder must be justifiable. Therefore if the insurer has not declared the IDV you should immediately contact the insurer and get the necessary details. It is important to note that the premium of a comprehensive car insurance policy is has a severe impact on the IDV. The ignorance today might turn problematic at the time of claim settlement.
Therefore, one must not be in a hurry to lower down their IDV. It is true that initially, you might end up saving some money by cutting down on the value of the premium, but at the end, you might lose a big chunk of compensation borne by the insurer at the time of claim settlement. It is always recommended to get your insurance at the full amount of IDV because this is what you are going to get at the time of damage or loss. Make sure to check the policy document after they arrive to make sure the values are the same as discussed earlier.
Points to Keep in Mind While Calculating IDV of a Car
You should keep the below-mentioned tips into your consideration to compute the IDV of your car -
1. The Insured Declared Value (IDV) is the maximum amount of compensation which you will receive in case of the total loss or theft of your car.
2. Don’t just lower the IDV to reduce the premium of your policy as it may also lessen the amount of claims.
3. You should always do your research and check with the car manufacturer before agreeing with the IDV set by your insurer.
4. Examine the amount of car insurance premium and check if it has been evaluated correctly based on the IDV of your car.
5. You can negotiate with the insurance company to get your desired IDV as it is crucial to get sufficient coverage to insure your car.
The policyholders can also fix their car’s IDV online, however, the value may differ from one insurance company to another insurance company. Also, fixing the IDV allows you to alter your IDV during the renewal of your car insurance policy.
Factors that Help to Determine the IDV of a Car
The Insurance Declared Value (IDV) is based on various factors related to your car. Some of those factors are described below:
1. Type of Car – When it comes to IDV value, the type of car such as hatchback, sedan, and SUV affects it for sure. The value of a car is based on its type where the hatchback cars are generally cheaper in comparison to sedan cars or SUVs. Hence, the IDV can vary as per the type of your car.
2. Model of Car – Different types of car models are available in the market for different types of cars such as sedan cars can have different values of IDV. However, the model price is based on the brand and features it offers.
3. Location of Purchase - There is little difference in the price of a car based on the location of the car purchase. For instance, the ex-showroom price of the same car model can differ in different cities such as New Delhi and Mumbai.
4. Depreciation – Depreciation is known to be the loss of value or reduction in the monetary value of a car due to age. The older the car will get, the more the depreciation will be. With depreciation, two cars of the same car model can have different IDVs.
5. Accessories - Depreciation cost on the accessories of a car is also computed while determining the amount of IDV. Therefore, the value of depreciation of accessories can influence the IDV on the basis of age and working condition of car accessories.
Calculate Your Car Insurance Premium Online
Select your car brand
Which city is your car registered in?
When did you buy your car?
Car Insurance for Popular Car Models
- *Premium Starting from ₹8,416
- *Premium Starting from ₹12,824
- *Premium Starting from ₹10,425
- *Premium Starting from ₹7,685
- *Premium Starting from ₹10,283
- *Premium Starting from ₹17,242
- *Premium Starting from ₹11,243
- *Premium Starting from ₹13,827
- *Premium Starting from ₹18,931
- *Premium Starting from ₹11,878
- *Premium Starting from ₹92,146
- *Premium Starting from ₹27,981
- *Premium Starting from ₹37,097
- *Premium Starting from ₹12,339
- *Premium Starting from ₹17,429
- *Premium Starting from ₹109,953
- *Premium Starting from ₹52,679
- *Premium Starting from ₹62,782
- *Premium Starting from ₹119,126
- *Premium Starting from ₹128,979
- *Premium Starting from ₹105,087
Car Insurance Add-ons
Car Insurance By Popular Car Manufacturers
Learn about IDV Calculator - IDV Calculation in Car Insurance
Facts About Setting Correct IDV During Car Insurance RenewalIDV is short for the ‘Insured Declared Value’, is the current market value of your car. It is your responsibility to calculate IDV correctly
All About Insured Declared Value (IDV) in Car InsuranceDo you know what is IDV in car insurance? For detailed information, read along!
Fascinating Facts About IDV in Car InsuranceHere are some interesting facts about IDV in car insurance.
Things to Know About IDV in Car InsuranceThings you should be aware of IDV in car insurance.
Cutting Down IDV To Decrease Car Insurance Premium - Yay or Nay?Lowering a vehicle's actual IDV to save on car insurance premium could cost you a fortune in the long run. Learn how and when this could happen.
Reasons Why You Must Set Correct IDV For Comprehensive Car InsuranceRead this article to understand why it is important to set the correct IDV (Insured Declared Value) for your comprehensive car insurance.
Car Insurance Companies Reviews & Ratings
I desired to know about network garages and services available for the customer under the network garages as...Read More
I purchased the Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Policy for my MG Hector car from InsuranceDekho. InsuranceDekho’...Read More
I wanted to know some claim-related information for my HDFC Ergo Car Insurance Policy that I purchased for m...Read More
I wanted to renew my car insurance policy. I visited InsuranceDekho’s website. I renewed my Tata AIG Car Insur...Read More
Thanks to InsuranceDekho for allowing numerous payment options. This gave me the freedom to choose my credit...Read More
FAQs about Insured Declared Value in Car Insurance
Why does IDV differ for different insurance companies ?
The Insured declared value is decreased in order to keep the rate of premium low. Make sure that you opt for the right insurance company that offers correct IDV value for your car even if the amount of premium is higher.
How does Insured Declared Value affect the car insurance premium?
The insurance premium and Insured Declared Value of a car goes hand in hand. It simply means that the higher Insured Declared Value of a car, the higher would be the premium for your car insurance------ and with the increase in the age of your car, the Insured Declared Value or IDV depreciates, the premium also decreases. Therefore, whenever you are selecting the right car insurance plan, make sure to know about the Insured declared value being offered along with the premium.
Is it a better option to go for a higher IDV?
This totally depends upon the type of car you own and the condition of your car. A higher Insured Declared Value is appropriate for vehicles that are not very old and are in a good condition. Make a note that higher the Insured Declared Value, the higher would be the premium payable on an yearly basis.
What happens in case an individual declares a low Insured Declared Value?
At times, people declare a low Insured Declared Value in order to pay lower premiums. However, you must always remember that while the premium you pay may be cheaper, the compensations paid by the insurance provider at the time of claims too would be lesser and it may not be sufficient for your vehicle. Therefore, it is advisable to not opt for a low or high IDV but the right one.
What all aspects affect the calculation of IDV?
The calculation of Insured Declared Value is dependent upon the following aspects:
- Make, model and manufacturer of the car
- Registration date of the vehicle
- Vehicle registration details including registration city
- Engine CC and ex-showroom cost of the car
Car Insurance News
Which Car Insurance is Best in India: Comprehensiv...
Wondering which car insurance is better third-party or compr...09 May 2023
How to Buy Car Insurance Online?
Car insurance is a mandatory requirement in India. It is qui...08 May 2023
How to Search Vehicle Owner Details by Number Plat...
Read on to understand how to search vehicle owner details by...05 May 2023
Car driving tips for beginners
listed below are some of the car driving tips for beginners.03 May 2023
Traffic Rules and Fines in West Bengal
Read on to understand all about the traffic rules that you n...26 April 2023