What is your car's brand?
How to Buy Car Insurance Policy Online?
- Fill Your Car Details
Provide your car details such as the make, model, etc, and get insurance quotes instantly from top car insurance companies.
- Compare Car Insurance
From all the available insurance premium, select the one which suits your budget & requirements in the best manner to choose a right plan.
- Make Payment Online
Pay car insurance premium online and get your policy document instantly in your inbox.
Benefits of Buying Online Car Insurance Policy
- Car Insurance Policy in 5 minutes
Forget waiting for hours & days for getting a car insurance policy. Get your car insurance policy issued in just 5 minutes with our easy, quick and documentation-free policy issuance process.
- Over 3 Lakh Policies Sold
InsuranceDekho is a favourable choice among insurance buyers. Our transparent and quick process, availability of top-rated insurers and our dedicated customer support team has helped us serve and delight more than 3 lakh customers.
- Dedicated Support Team
Our dedicated car insurance customer support team is available at your service all the 7 days of the week. Feel free to reach out to us for any insurance related assistance, be it related policy purchase or claim settlement.
Find Right Car Insurance Quotes by Cars Body Type
- View Tata Altroz Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Swift Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Baleno Insurance Quotes
- View Renault KWID Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Grand i10 Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Tiago Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Dzire Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City 4th Generation Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Aura Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Verna Insurance Quotes
- View Honda Amaze Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Urban Cruiser Insurance Quotes
- View Kia Sonet Insurance Quotes
- View Kia Seltos Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Creta Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Thar Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Venue Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Ertiga Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Innova Crysta Insurance Quotes
- View Renault Triber Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti XL6 Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Marazzo Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Vellfire Insurance Quotes
- View Land Rover Range Rover Insurance Quotes
- View Audi A6 Insurance Quotes
- View BMW X5 Insurance Quotes
- View BMW 3 Series Insurance Quotes
- View Land Rover Range Rover Velar Insurance Quotes
- View Volvo XC90 Insurance Quotes
Customer's Speak3913 Reviews
- Informative websiteI wanted to buy a policy for my Volkswagen Beetle but didn’t know anything about insurance. InsuranceDekho’s team solved...EdelweissBy Nitin GoswamiOn:30th October, 2020
- No hidden chargesI recently purchased the ACKO policy and I have InsuranceDekho to thank for that. The website did not charge me any extr...AckoBy Ankita PaulOn:30th October, 2020
- Active chatboxInsuranceDekho has a very active chatbox. It provided me with all the minute details about Raheja QBE insurance. I got t...Raheja QbeBy Pritam LahiriOn:30th October, 2020
- Get your policy in three stepsWith InsuranceDekho I got the Universal Sompo policy in just three steps. The procedure is hassle-free. I just had to fi...Universal SompoBy Ramesh SinghOn:30th October, 2020
- Instant online paymentInsuranceDekho has online payment options. This is a real time-saver for insurance buyers. I could buy the Shriram polic...ShriramBy Virendra GargOn:30th October, 2020
- Easy claim settlementI am a holder of the IFFCO Tokio policy for my Skoda Fabia. I had to request a claim. I tried InsuranceDekho for it. I j...Iffco TokioBy Krishan JainOn:30th October, 2020
- Helpful online paymentI was looking for online payment options while buying the Royal Sundaram policy for my Hyundai I10. InsuranceDekho provi...Royal SundaramBy Chandrachur ChatterjeeOn:30th October, 2020
- Smooth claim settlementMy Volkswagen Beetle is insured under Reliance. Recently I had to make a claim. I faced no problem while claiming and al...RelianceBy Bijaya SahaOn:30th October, 2020
- Information on add-on coversI am a holder of the Tata AIG. While buying my Chevrolet Beat I was advised to purchase add-on covers. I used InsuranceD...Tata AigBy Arnita KunduOn:30th October, 2020
- Impressive websiteMy friend suggested me InsuranceDekho when I was trying to buy a policy for my Tata Safari. As soon as I checked out the...DigitBy Sirsho BanerjeeOn:30th October, 2020
Car insurance is a contract between a car owner and an insurance company wherein the insurance company promises to protect the car owner from financial losses relating to his/her car arising due to a misfortunate event like a road accident, theft, fire, natural calamities, man-made calamities, vandalism, etc. In return for this promise, the car owner pays an amount known as car insurance premium to the insurance company. There are three types of car insurance in India namely Third Party Car Insurance Policy, Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy, and Standalone Own-Damage Car Insurance Policy. As per the Indian Motor Tariff, it is mandatory for every car owner in India to own at least a third party car insurance policy. Driving a car without a valid third party car insurance policy is a legal offense in India which attracts a fine of Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months. An insurance cover for the own-damage of the car is not mandatory, but a recommended cover. This is because it protects the insured from financial losses in case of damage(s) caused to his/her vehicle due to an accident. A comprehensive car insurance policy offers the benefit of both third party car insurance policy as well as standalone own-damage car insurance policy. Which means, it provides the policyholder with complete coverage. The coverage of a car insurance policy can be extended with the help of add-on covers. A car insurance add-on is an extra cover that provides additional coverage to the insured’s car. One of the most popular car insurance add-ons is a zero depreciation cover. By default, the cost of depreciation incurred by a car is not covered under a car insurance plan. However, by opting for a nil depreciation cover, a policyholder can get his/her car covered against depreciation and save a lot of money. Similarly, there are other useful add-ons like car engine cover, tyre cover, roadside assistance, etc. Car insurance plans have a expiry day. Usually, they continue a year till you've bought a longterm policy. Driving car without a valid insurance policy is actually just a legal offence, so thus you should never let your policy lapse and drive.
Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy
Comprehensive car insurance policy is a cover under which the four wheeler insurance company is liable to pay for damages caused to the third party property and life (including death) by the insured’s car as well as for the own damages sustained by the insured’s car. A comprehensive car insurance policy offers the most extensive coverage to the policyholder. In addition to road accidents, the policy covers damages incurred during natural calamities, man-made disasters, fire, explosion, self-ignition or lightning, theft, terrorist activity, damage in transit by road, rail, inland waterway, lift, elevator as well as air. A policyholder can extend the coverage of a comprehensive car insurance plan with the help of add-on covers such as zero depreciation cover, engine cover, roadside assistance cover that one can purchase voluntarily by paying an extra premium. You are already paying for car insurance for third-party cover. It makes better sense in spending a little extra to cover a whole list of possible accident situations. It is true that a comprehensive car insurance policy offers a wider coverage than a third party car insurance policy or a standalone own-damage car insurance policy, but it is not necessary that a comprehensive health insurance policy will always be as expensive as it has benefits which make its premium worth it.
Third Party Car Insurance Policy
Third party car insurance policy is a mandatory requirement for driving a car in India. Under this cover, the four wheeler insurance company is liable to pay for the bodily injuries, permanent/temporary liability, total/partial liability, as well as death of the third party caused by an accident involving the insured’s car. Also known as third-party liability insurance, the third party car insurance policy provides coverage for property damage incurred by the third party up to Rs. 7.5 lakh. The policy does not provide coverage for damages incurred by the insured car. With a third party car insurance plan, a policyholder can also purchase a legal liability cover of up to Rs. 2 lakh for a hired driver of the insured's car against an extra premium. A personal accident cover of up to Rs. 2 lakh can also be purchased for the unnamed passengers of the insured's car with this plan. If caught without the mandatory third party cover, then the driver will be punished with a fine of Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment for up to 3 months. So, a third party car insurance policy not only saves the policyholder from losses in times of a misfortune event, but also enables him/her to drive legally on the Indian roads.
Standalone Own-Damage Car Insurance Policy
In September 2019, Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) introduced the standalone own-damage car insurance policy. Under this plan, the insured gets insurance coverage only for the own-damages sustained by his/her four wheeler in a road accident, natural/man-made calamity, fire, explosion, theft or any other mishap. A standalone own-damage car insurance policy aims at offering the insured the flexibility in terms of the insurer they want to choose. In order to stay compliant with the rules of the Indian Motor Tariff, one can purchase a third party car insurance policy either from the same insurance company or a different one. The insured can extend coverage by purchasing add-on cover(s) along with a standalone own-damage car insurance policy. These may include zero depreciation cover, No Claim Bonus (NCB), emergency assistance cover, return to invoice, engine and gearbox protector, key replacement cover, loss of use-downtime protection and cost of consumable items. Even with add-on cover(s), a standalone own-damage car insurance policy can be purchased at competitive premium.
Car Insurance Policy FAQs
What is Car Insurance Policy?
Car Insurance is a contract between a car owner and an insurance company wherein the latter promises to protect the former’s car from unforeseen financial losses arising from unexpected events such as a road accident, theft, fire, natural calamities, vandalism and other such scenarios. In return for this promise, the car owner pays an amount known as car insurance premium to the insurance company.
Why should I need a car insurance policy?
You should buy a car insurance as according to the Indian Motor Tariff, it is a mandatory requirement for every car owner for being able to drive the vehicle legally in the country. Besides legal compliance, a car insurance policy also provides you with financial stability if your car meets an accident in the future.
What are the different types of car insurance policy in India?
There are 3 types of car insurance policies in India namely third party car insurance policy, standalone own damage car insurance policy, and comprehensive car insurance policy. While a third party/liability only provides coverage for third party liabilities only, a standalone own damage cover takes care of the own-damages incurred by your car only. A comprehensive car insurance policy is a bundled cover which provides coverage for both own damages as well as for third party liabilities.
How much is car insurance policy premium?
Third party car insurance is fixed by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India as per the engine capacity of the car. However, the premium for standalone own damage and comprehensive car insurance vary from car owner to car owner. The own-damage premium depends on a number of factors such as RTO location, Make, Model, and Variant of the car, engine capacity, registration city, fuel type, etc.
What if my car insurance policy gets expired?
Every car insurance comes with a validity period, post which you need to renew it to continue to enjoy its benefits. However, even if you miss to get your car insurance plan renewed by the expiry date, you can still get it renewed till the next 90 days from the date of expiry. After the expiry of this 90-day period, a car insurance policy cannot be renewed. In such a case, you need to purchase a new car insurance policy.
How to find my car insurance policy number?
Car insurance policy number is a unique 8 to 10 digit number, given by your car insurance company for the identification of your insurance account. It is generally written on your insurance card or statements issued by the insurance company. The number remains the same as long as your policy is active with the respective insurance provider.
Which is best car insurance policy in India 2020?
Best insurance company varies from policyholder to policyholder depending on their requirements such as type of plan, add-on covers, customer support service, etc. However, one reliable parameter to compare different insurance companies for cars is the Claim Settlement Ratio (CSR). A Claim Settlement Ratio refers to the percentage of claims settled by a car insurance company out of the total number of claims received by it during a financial year. The higher the claim settlement ratio, the better it is.
Car Insurance News
- Standalone Own-Damage Vs Third Party Car Insurance
Purchasing a car insurance is a required as well as a wise d...29 October 2020
- Importance of A Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy
Know the importance of a comprehensive car insurance policy....29 October 2020
- Does Car Insurance Premium Go Up After Claiming fo...
Do car accidents affect insurance premium? Does car insuranc...28 October 2020
- Should You Buy Insurance For a Stored Car
Do I need insurance for a stored car? Let’s read about some ...27 October 2020
- How to Compare Car Insurance Policies To Choose Ri...
Not sure, which car insurance to buy? Let us help you choose...27 October 2020
- Know Which Are the Best Car Insurance Companies in...
Here is a list of the best car insurers in terms of claim se...20 September 2019
- Which Insurance Company Provides the Cheapest Car ...
Here is a list of car insurance plans available at reasonabl...24 September 2019
- How to Claim Car Insurance After Meeting an Accide...
Browse step by step experts guide on how to make a car insur...23 December 2019
- Is Personal Accident Cover for Owner-Driver Compul...
Every car owner in India is mandatorily required to have a p...09 December 2019
- Things to Know About Multi Year Car Insurance Poli...
There are multiple benefits of a multi year car insurance po...09 January 2020
*Standard T&C Apply. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers which are subject to modification. For more details on risk factors, terms and conditions, please read the sales brochure of respective insurers carefully before concluding a sale. Girnar Insurance Brokers Private Limited, 11th Floor, Tower B, Emaar Digital Greens, Golf Course Extension Road, Sector-61, Gurugram-122102, Haryana. IRDAI License no 588. Direct Broker (General Insurance) valid till 19th March 2023. Email - firstname.lastname@example.org.