About Star Health Insurance
Star Health and Allied Insurance Co. Ltd. is India’s first Standalone Health Insurance provider which commenced its business in 2006. Today, the company has become a market leader which offers multiple insurance products including Health, Personal Accident and Overseas Travel Insurance etc., thereby fulfilling varied needs of different sections of the society. It is also prominently into bancassurance with long standing relationships with several Indian banks. With more than 10,600 employees and 550 branches across the country, In the Indian insurance industry, Star Health Insurance has become a trusted brand. Health Insurance is one of the most promising segments in which the company operates.
Star Health Insurance offers a wide range of affordable health insurance products for individuals, families, and corporations. The plans cover the insured for medical check-ups, AYUSH systems of medicines, critical illnesses, and hospitalization expenses. Also, now you can find coronavirus coverage under health insurance plans offered by Star health Insurance. The company also offers health insurance plans for autistic children which makes its offerings unique. One of the key advantages of buying Star Health Insurance plans is that those under the age of 60 do not have to pay a copayment.
How to Buy Star Health Insurance Policy at InsuranceDekho?
You can buy Star Health Insurance plans in two modes at InsuranceDekho namely online and offline modes. Read the steps below:
Buy Star Health Insurance Plan Online at InsuranceDekho
Step 1: Visit insurancedekho.com and click on the ‘health’ tab.
Step 2: Select your gender. Fill in your Name and Mobile Number. You will receive a One Time Password on the entered number. Please enter that.
Step 3: Let us know ‘When do you want to buy the policy’ by selecting an option from the drop-down list. Click on ‘View Quotes’.
Step 4: Select the family members you want to include under the health insurance plan. Click on the ‘Continue’ button.
Step 5: Select the age of the chosen family members.
Step 6: Enter your Email ID and City. Click on the ‘Submit and View Quotes’ button. You will see the most suitable quotes for you on the screen. Click on the one you wish to buy.
Step 7: Select the policy period for the chosen health insurance plan. Enter the required details and make the payment.
Buy Star Health Insurance Plan Offline at InsuranceDekho
To buy Star Health Insurance policy offline, talk to our customer care experts on the toll-free number 7551-196-989 any day (we are available all 7 days!) between 9:30 AM to 6:30 PM.
Feel free to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org in case of any query or support required.
Top Star Health Insurance Plan Types
Star Health Insurance plans cover you against most of your medical expenses in case of any illness, sickness, disease or accident. Following are the top 5 plans offered by the Star Health Insurance:
1. Star Family Health Optima Policy: Family Health Optima by Star Health Insurance covers you and your entire family under a single sum insured. If you are between 18 years and 65 years and reside in India, you can buy this policy.The policy includes insurance for air ambulance, pre-hospitalization and post-hospitalization expenses, in-patient hospitalization expenses, and other benefits that you can get for sum insured options ranging from Rs. 1 lakh to Rs. 25 lakh.
2. Star Comprehensive Health Insurance Policy: Star Comprehensive Policy covers you if you are aged between 3 months and 65 years. The best part about this plan is that it comes without any sub-limit or capping. It also covers outpatient medical consultation and domiciliary hospitalization expenses, as well as day care treatments, pre-hospitalization and post-hospitalization expenses, and air ambulance expenses.You can choose sum insured options between
3. Star Medi Classic Insurance Policy: Medi Classic Insurance Policy is an individual health insurance policy that protects you from hospitalization costs incurred as a result of any illness, sickness, disease, or accident. You can be covered under this policy if you are aged between 5 months and 65 years. The plan offers several coverage features including cover for daycare treatments, health check-up, non-allopathic treatments, in-patient hospitalization cover, and ambulance charges. Under this plan, you can pick between hospital cash and patient care as add-on benefits. This policy is also available to HIV-positive individuals.
4. Star Senior Citizens Red Carpet Health Insurance Policy: Senior Citizens Red Carpet Insurance Policy is especially designed keeping in mind the requirements of senior citizens. The policy offers lifelong renewals and can be purchased by anyone who is aged between 60 years and 75 years. You can buy this policy on an individual or floater sum insured basis and choose from the sum insured options ranging between Rs. 1 lakh and Rs. 25 lakh. The policy, which is available for terms of 1, 2, and 3 years, includes many benefits such as lifelong renewals, hospitalization expense insurance, health check-up insurance, pre- and post-hospitalization expenses, and emergency hospitalization expenses.
5. Young Star Insurance Policy: The Star Health Insurance Young Star insurance, which is available on an individual and floater basis, covers individuals aged 18 to 40 years for a sum insured ranging from Rs. 3 lakh to Rs. 1 crore.The policy is available for a term of 1 and 2 years, and offers lifelong renewals along with other benefits including cover for in-patient hospitalization expenses, road ambulance, pre-hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation expenses among other coverages.
What Is A Health Insurance Top-up Plan and Why Should I Buy It?
A health insurance top-up plan is an additional coverage that you can get if you already have a plan. These plans pay for medical expenditures incurred as a result of a single illness that exceed sum insured in your existing policy. Thus, a top-up health insurance plan helps you increase the cover at reasonable premiums.
As a precautionary measure, it is wise to have a top-up plan added to your standard health insurance plan as they offer you the following benefits:
- Extended coverage
- Affordable premium
- Financial stability in times of rising healthcare costs
- Tax benefits under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961
Star Health Insurance offers Star Super Surplus Insurance Policy as a top-up plan which you can purchase on an individual or floater basis for extended coverage of your base health insurance policy. All daycare procedures, organ donation expenses, pre-hospitalization and post-hospitalization expenses, and air ambulance are all covered under this Star top-up policy.
Why Choose Star Health Insurance?
Star Health Insurance offers the following benefits to the policyholders:
- Wide Coverage: Star Health Insurance plans offer financial protection for you and your family against a range of health care expenses in the case of illness, sickness, medical emergencies, and accidents.
- 24*7 Assistance Services: Star Health Insurance’s friendly representatives are there to assist you 24*7.
- Cashless Treatment: Star Health Insurance has tie-ups with more than 9,900 network hospitals where you can avail hassle-free cashless treatment.
- Add-on Benefits: Health insurance plans include a range of add-on benefits such as hospital cash, patient care, and more to help you get full insurance by paying a little extra premium.
- Variety of Health Insurance Plans: Star Health Insurance offers a wide variety of health insurance plans especially designed for individuals, families, and corporates.
Benefits of Star Health Insurance Plans
You can choose Star Health Insurance plans to avail the following benefits:
- Wide Network of Cashless Hospitals: Star Health Insurance has a wide network of over 9,900 network hospitals where you can avail cashless treatment under your health insurance policy.
- In-House Claim Settlement: Star Health Insurance has an in-house claim settlement process that makes resolving your claim simple and fast.
- Timely Settlement Of Claims: Star Health Insurance claims to have settled 90% received health insurance claims in less than 2 hours.
- Wide Range Of Sum Insured Options: Health insurance plans offered by Star Health Insurance come with a wide range of sum insured options. You can choose the right sum insured for yourself and for your family on the basis of factors such as age, health history, current health, number of members covered under the plan, etc.
- Lifetime Renewability: There is no restriction such as maximum age for renewals under health insurance plans offered by Star Health. Thus, you can get your Star Health Insurance plan renewed anytime during your lifetime.
Star Health Insurance Claim Settlement Ratio
Claim Settlement Ratio (CSR) refers to the total number of claims settled by a health insurance company. CSR allows you to understand how well an insurer settled the claims requests received by it in a financial year.
Claim Settlement Ratio
(Source: IBAI’s General Insurance Claim Insights Handbook For Policyholders - 4th & 5th Edition)
Network Hospitals of Star Health Insurance
A network hospital is a hospital that has an agreement with the health insurance company to offer cashless treatment. Star Health Insurance has tie-ups with over 9,900 network hospitals across India where you may get cashless treatment and need not make any arrangements to raise funds for treatment because the insurer pays the hospital directly.The record of these hospitals can be found on the website of Star Health Insurance as well as at InsuranceDekho.
Star Health Insurance Policy Terms
Star Health Insurance policies are available with the terms tabulated below:
Minimum Entry Age
Maximum Entry Age
65 years/no limit
Lifetime renewability guaranteed
Co-payment of 20% is applicable on each and every claim for people aged over 60 years at entry level and subsequent renewals.
General Waiting Period
A waiting period of 30 days needs to be completed to seek benefits, except in case of injury, under the plans.
However, these terms of Star Health Insurance plans are subject to vary from plan to plan.
How to Make A Claim For Star Health Insurance?
To ensure timely processing of claims, Star Health Insurance offers a customer-friendly and hassle-free claim settlement process. Star Health Insurance provides a variety of health insurance plans.You can make cashless claims as well as reimbursement claims.
What Is the Cashless Claim Process of Star Health Insurance
Follow the steps given below to avail cashless treatment under Star Health Insurance plans:
Step 1: Reach A Network Hospital
Visit the insurance desk at a network hospital. Intimate Star Health Insurance by calling them at 1800 425 2255 / 1800 102 4477 or dropping an email at email@example.com.
Step 2: Show Your Star Health ID Card
Show your Star Health ID card at the reception of the network hospital for identification.
Step 3: Submit Required Documents
Submit the documents related to pre-admission investigations and consultation at the hospital.
Step 4: Verification of Documents
The doctors will verify all of the documents submitted before processing your claim according to the terms and conditions. If necessary, an assigned representative may pay you a visit at the hospital.
Step 5: Settlement of Claim
The network hospital will send claim documents to Star Health Insurance after you get discharged. The claim will then be settled directly by the insurer with the hospital.
How To Make A Star Health Reimbursement Claim?
Follow the steps given below to avail reimbursement facility under Star Health Insurance plans:
Step 1: Get Hospitalised
To avail the required medical treatment, you can get hospitalised at a hospital of your choice.
Step 2: Get Treatment and Pay The Bills
After receiving the necessary medical treatment, settle the bills with the hospital. After you have paid your bills, submit a reimbursement claim with Star Health Insurance for the medical expenses you have incurred medical expenses subject to the sum insured. Make sure you collect all the medical bills from the hospital.
Documents Required For Star Health Claim Reimbursement
Following documents are required during a Star Health Insurance Reimbursement Claim Settlement process:
• A copy of Star Health ID card
• Duly filled claim form
• Original discharge summary received from the hospital
• Papers related to pre-admission investigations and doctor’s consultation
• Medical reports (X-ray, blood tests, scans, etc.)
• Invoices and prescriptions from the pharmacy
• Receipts from the chemist as well as hospital
• FIR and/or Medico Legal Certificate in case of an accident
• A copy of the KYC documents
• NEFT details, Email ID and contact number
Step 3: Fill The Star Health Claim Form
After initiating a reimbursement claim process, you will be required to fill a Star Health reimbursement claim form. Submit the form along with all the required documents at the nearest Star Health Insurance office or at their online portal.
Step 4: Settlement of Claim
After all of the processes have been completed, Star Health Insurance will settle your claim as per the terms and conditions of your policy and the sum insured mentioned therein. You must pay for the non-payable charges out of your own pocket.
Star Health Insurance Renewal Process
Star Health Insurance policies can be renewed after every 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years, depending upon the policy term chosen. Star Health insurance provides a grace period of at least 15 days (varies by plan) during which you can pay your renewal premium and maintain your health insurance coverage.Follow the below-mentioned steps to renew your health insurance policy with Star Health Insurance:
Step 1: Visit the official website of Star Health Insurance and open the ‘Renewal’ page.
Step 2: Fill in the policy details (policy number and date of birth).
Step 3: Click on the ‘Renew Now’ tab.
Step 4: Check the policy details and premium to be paid for policy renewal.
Step 5: Make the payment online using the available payment options.
Your policy will be renewed, thereby enabling you to continue to enjoy the insurance coverage under your Star Health Insurance plan.
Star Health Insurance Tax Benefits
Apart from the many additional benefits given by Star Health Insurance, a health insurance plan also provides income tax benefits under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act of 1961.You can claim the following income tax deductions on the health insurance premium paid in a financial year:
Deduction under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act
Self, Family, Children
When Policyholder and Parents are below 60 years
When Policyholder and family members are below 60 years with parents above 60 years
When Policyholder, family members and parents are above 60 years
Members of HUF
Star Health Insurance Premium Calculation
The premium amount for different Star Health Insurance plans are calculated on the basis of several factors. Read these factors below in order to make an informed buying decision:
Health History: Your health history is one of the elements that affects the premium amount of your Star Health Insurance plan. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, you will have to pay a higher premium.This is because in such cases, the insurance company faces higher chances of obligating a claim in comparison to policyholders who are fit and fine.
Number of Members Added Under The Policy: The premium amount for Star Health Insurance plans would cost less if you buy an individual health insurance plan and cover only self. If you choose to add your other family members as floaters, however, you will have to pay higher rates because you will need more coverage.
- Age: As you age, you become more prone to diseases and hence have greater chances of making claims under health insurance plans offered by Star Health Insurance. Therefore, you will have to pay higher premiums if you buy plans during old age as compared to young age.
- Sum Insured: The higher the sum insured chosen, the larger the coverage and, as a result, the higher the health insurance premium you must pay for health insurance plans offered by Star Health Insurance and vice versa.
- Lifestyle: Unhealthy lifestyle habits like smoking, drinking, etc., put an individual at a great risk of getting diseases and hence a greater chance of making claims. Therefore, Star Health Insurance will charge you more premium in case you live an unhealthy lifestyle, and vice versa.
What All Is Covered Under Star Health Insurance Plans?
You can enjoy the following inclusions under health insurance plans offered by Star Health Insurance :
- In-patient Hospitalisation Expenses: Health insurance plans offered by Star Health Insurance cover you against in-patient hospitalisation expenses incurred due to hospitalisation because of any illness, sickness, disease, or accident.
- Pre-hospitalisation And Post-hospitalisation Expenses: Pre-hospitalization and post-hospitalization expenses are covered for up to 90 and 180 days, respectively, under Star Health insurance plans.
- AYUSH Treatments: Star Health insurance plans offer cover for expenses related to AYUSH systems of medicines. These include Ayurveda, Unaani, Siddha, and Homeopathy.
- Ambulance Cover: In the case that you require medical attention, Star Health Insurance policies cover you against emergency ambulance expenses.
- Daycare Procedures: Under health insurance plans offered by Star Health Insurance, you can seek treatment for daycare procedures. These are procedures that require hospitalisation of less than 24 hours. For instance, chemotherapy, radiation, dialysis, and cataract.
- Organ Donor Expenses: You get covered against organ donor expenses under health insurance plans offered by Star Health Insurance.
What Are The Exclusions of Star Health Insurance Plans?
Health insurance plans offered by Star Health Insurance come with the following exclusions:
- Cosmetic Surgery: Treatments related to cosmetic surgery are not covered under health insurance plans offered by Star Health Insurance.
- Self-Inflicted Injuries: Self-inflicted injuries, such as those suffered during a suicide attempt, are not covered by Star Health Insurance plans.
- Injuries Due To Participation In Adventure Sports: Expenses arising due to participation in adventure sports activities such as mountain climbing, paragliding etc. are not covered under Star Health Insurance plans.
- Illness Due To Use Of Intoxicating Substances: Star Health Insurance does not cover any treatment that may be required as a result of the use of intoxicating substances.These may include drugs, alcoholism, smoking, and tobacco chewing.
- Weight Control Treatments: Star Health Insurance plans do not cover you against expenses incurred on weight control procedures including surgical procedures like bariatric surgery or treatment of obesity.
The above inclusions and exclusions may vary from plan to plan offered by Star Health Insurance.
Health Insurance Calculator
Whom do you want the insurance for ?
Select the age of all members
Where do you live ?
Choose required Coverage for yourself?
*Tax benefits are subject to changes in Income Tax Act.
Star Health Insurance Plan List
|Name of Plan||Sum Insured|
|Star Novel Coronavirus (nCov) (COVID-19) InsuranceMin: 3 months; Max: 65 years||Get Quotes Now|
|Young Star Insurance PolicyMin: 91 days; Max: 40 years||3 Lakh-1 Crore||Get Quotes Now|
|Star Care Micro InsuranceMin: 2 Years; Max: 65 Years||1 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Family DeliteMin: 5 Months; Max: 65 Years||2 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Arogya Sanjeevani PolicyMin: 3 months; Max: 65 years||1 Lakh - 5 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Corona Kavach PolicyMin: 1 Day, Max: 65 Years||50,000 - 5 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Corona Rakshak PolicyMin: 18 years; Max: 65 years||50,000 - 2.5 lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Outpatient Care Insurance PolicyMin: 31 day; Max: 50 years||25 Thousand - 1 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Star Micro Rural And Farmers Care PolicyMin: 12 months; Max: 65 years||Get Quotes Now|
|Criticare PlusMin 18 Years; Max: 65 Years||2 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Star ComprehensiveMin: 3 Months; Max: 65 Years||5 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Red CarpetMini: 60 Years; Max 75 Years||1 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Diabetes SafeMin: 18 Years; Max: 65 Years||3 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Cardiac CareMin: 10 Years; Max 65 Years||3 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Medi Classic Insurance PolicyMin: 5 Months; Max: 65 Years||2 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Cancer Care Gold Min: 5 Months; Max: 65 Years||3 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Star Health GainMin: 91 Days; Max: 65 Years||1 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Special Care Min: 3 Years; Max: 25 Years||3 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
|Family Health OptimaMin: 16 Days; Max: 65 Years||3 Lakh||Get Quotes Now|
Health Insurance Coverage Calculator
Who do you want to insured ?
Age of eldest insured member ?
Where do you live ?
Claim Process at Star Health Insurance
- Network Hospital
- Non-Network Hospital
Claim AssistanceFor any assistance or query, call InsuranceDekho at the toll-free number 755 1196 989.
Claim IntimationEmergency hospitalisation needs intimation within 24 hours and for planned hospitalisation intimate within 48 hours prior to admission.
Claim ProcessingFill in the pre-authorisation form and hand it over to hospital's insurance/TPA desk to initiate claim request.
Claim SettlementOnce your request is approved, claim is settled. If not approved, claim for reimbursement after discharge.
Claim AssistanceFor any assistance or query, call InsuranceDekho at the toll-free number 755 1196 989.
Claim IntimationEmergency hospitalisation needs intimation within 24 hours and for planned hospitalisation intimate within 48 hours prior to admission.
Claim ProcessingSubmit claim form with original documents such as doctor’s reports, hospital bills, diagnostic tests, etc.
Claim SettlementOnce your request for reimbursement of expenses is approved, the claim will be settled.
1506 Star Cashless Network Hospitals in India
Latest News on Star Health Insurance
- The Star Health Insurance Plan is one of the most comprehensive and popular health insurance plans available. Find out how you can get benefits from it.
- Star Health and Allied Insurance is a simple but comprehensive health insurance plan. Take a look at how you can make a claim against this policy.
- Regular checkups are a necessary part of life. It is helpful in catching diseases early on. Find out which health insurance plans offer them for free.
- Star Health Insurance & Allied Insurance, through its health insurance plans, offer cover to the insured for several diseases. Read this article to know about those diseases.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Pradhan Mantri Digital Health Mission (PM-DHM), under which now every citizen will be required to have a separate health ID. Read full news here.
Star Health Insurance User Reviews
- Network Hospitals
- Top up
- Critical Illness
Why to Buy Health Insurance Policy Online from InsuranceDekho
- Tax benefit upto 75,000*
- Claim support everyday 10AM-7PM
- 45 Lacs+ happy customers
Explore Star Health Insurance
Health Insurance News
- Understanding the Claim Process for Star Health an...
Star Health and Allied Insurance is a simple but comprehensi...02 December 2021
- Health Insurance Plans Offering Free Health Check-...
Regular checkups are a necessary part of life. It is helpful...01 December 2021
- PM Modi Launches Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission, ...
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Pradhan Mantri...27 September 2021
- How to Download Star Health Insurance Plan?
The following article throws light on the easy ways to down...09 July 2021
- Covaxin vs Covishield: Difference Between Covaxin ...
Covaxin and Covishield are the two vaccines against coronavi...12 May 2021
- Health Insurance Companies Cannot Reject Claims Af...
As per the fresh set of guidelines issued by IRDAI, health i...16 June 2020
Must read guide before buying Star Health Insurance
- Family Delite Health Insurance Plan safeguards the whole family under a single sum insured at an affordable price. Read more here.
- Star Health Insurance Policies: Find why you should buy it online. Benefits of online services.
- Star Health Insurance Policies: Find lesser-known facts to buy health insurance policies offered by Star Health Insurance Company.
- This article mentions the 3 different ways of paying premiums online for the Star Health Insurance Company.
- Star Health & Allied Insurance Co. Ltd is One of India's most well-known health insurance firms. These health insurance plans provide everything from medical advice to a one-on-one appointment with a doctor. These plans provide comprehensive coverage at a
FAQ About Star Health Insurance
How to buy Star Health Insurance Plan?
InsuranceDekho provides you easy ways to buy Star Health Insurance Policy. These are:
- Online: On the online mode, the policy is generated instantly along with the card and kit. However, this feature is mostly applicable for the cases, where there is no requirement of medical checkup or underwriting.
- Telephone - You can also contact the customer care executives at InsuranceDekho on the toll-free number 7551196989 and get all the details of the plan.
Why should I buy a Star Health insurance plan?
The health insurance policy by Star Health safeguards you and your family for any financial crisis that may arise due to a medical emergency. Purchasing a proper health plan can assist you in saving your hard-earned money and other assets.
How many claims can I make in a year?
You can make any number of claims over the year. But, the number of claims should not exceed the limit of the sum insured.
How many network hospitals are covered under Star Health?
There are more than 9,800 top-quality network hospitals covered under Star Health.
Is medical check-up required to buy a Star Health Insurance Policy?
Yes, the medical check-up is required to buy a Star Health Insurance Policy. But it is applicable only for the people of above 50 years.
Latest Health Insurance Articles
- Importance of Getting Health Insurance That Cover...
With COVID-19 pandemic spread far and wide, and the scenario...02 January 2022
- Protect Yourself from Omicron
Omicron is delivering a loud and obvious message that this...01 January 2022
- Benefits of Senior Citizens Red Carpet Policy offe...
A health insurance policy is a must for all senior citizens ...04 December 2021
- Benefits of Arogya Premier Policy Offered by SBI G...
SBI General Insurance Company offers several health insuranc...27 November 2021
- Benefits of Health Companion Policy offered by Niv...
Health Companion Policy is a popular indemnity based health ...20 November 2021
- Best Health Insurance Companies In 2021 Based On C...
The claim settlement ratio is an important aspect of any ins...31 March 2021
- Best Dental Insurance Plans You can Buy Online in ...
Purchasing dental health cover brings along many benefits. R...29 January 2020
- How to Check Star Health Insurance Policy Status a...
Do you want to check Star Health Insurance policy status onl...21 September 2020
- 5 Health Insurance Plans With Low Waiting Period f...
Coverage for pre-existing conditions comes with a waiting pe...12 April 2019
- Deadliest Diseases in India
India is challenged by some deadliest diseases. Explore a l...27 April 2020
*Standard T&C Apply. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers, which are subject to modification .For more details on risk factors, terms and conditions, please read the sales brochure of respective insurers carefully before concluding a sale. Tax benefits are subject to changes in applicable tax laws. Girnar Insurance Brokers Private Limited, (CIN: U66010RJ2016PTC054811, Regd .Off: Girnar 21, Govind Marg, Moti Doongari Road, Dharam Singh Circle, Jaipur, Rajasthan- 302004; Corp. Off: Second and Third Floor, Plot no.301, Phase-2, Udyog Vihar, Gurugram-122022, Haryana, India. IRDAI License no 588. Direct Broker (Life & General) valid till 19th March 2023. Email - firstname.lastname@example.org ; Helpline number: 7551196989.
You authorise Girnar Insurance Brokers Pvt Ltd (insurancedekho) to contact you through call, SMS, email, WhatsApp or any other mode in future. You hereby override your NDNC registration.