Personal Accident Insurance Cover in Car Insurance
This insurance cover gives financial coverage to policyholders for their bodily injuries, total or partial disability, or death due to accidents. This add-on cover ensures assistance to a person and to his or her family in case if he or she gets badly injured or dies in an accident. This cover gives benefits of different types such as accidental death benefit, hospital daily cash, ambulance expenses, child education benefit, and so on.
- Save upto 75%*Lowest Car Premiums
- 45 Lakh+Happy Customers
- Claim Support7 days a week
*TP price for less than 1000cc four wheeler. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers which are subject to modification. Terms and conditions apply
Calculate Your Car Insurance
What is Personal Accident Insurance?
Personal Accident Insurance refers to a car insurance policy which provides financial compensation to the policyholder in the event of bodily injuries, total/partial disability, or death caused due to accidents. Personal Accident Insurance ensures financial assistance to an individual and to his/her family if he/she gets injured or unfortunately dies in an accident.
What is Covered Under Personal Accident Insurance?
Coverage for the following is offered under a Personal Accidental Insurance plan:
1. Accidental Death Benefit
Personal Accidental Insurance provides 100% sum insured to the nominee in case of accidental death of the insured. It is like the primary protection that comes with the policy and makes sure that the family is financially steady after the grievous passing of the policyholder. The nominee of the policy is a legitimate beneficiary of the individual.
2. Permanent Total Disability Benefits
Personal Accidental Insurance benefit provides coverage for injuries and permanent disabilities that hinder the individuals from engaging in the occupation after an accident. The total disability could be the loss of both the eyes or physical separation of limbs.
3. Hospital Daily Cash
Daily cash allowance is paid to the insurance company in case of an accidental hospitalization. Coverage is limited to a specific number of days (as specified in the policy terms and conditions).
4. Ambulance Expenses
Compensation is provided for ambulance expenses to carry the insured after an accident to the hospital.
5. Bodily Injuries
The cost incurred for medical treatment of bodily injuries sustained by the policyholder in an accident is covered under this plan.
Compensation is also provided for accidental burns.
7. Family Transportation Allowance
When the residence of the insured is far from the hospital, the expenditure incurred on transportation by the immediate family members, to reach the insured is compensated by the car insurance company.
8. Child Education Benefit
The education expenses of the dependent children of the insured are covered in case of accidental death or permanent total disability under a personal accident insurance plan.
Types of Personal Accident Insurance Plans
Followings are the types of Personal Accident Insurance Plans:
1. Individual Accident Insurance
This type of personal accident policy protects an individual in an event of any accidental damage. It covers accidental death, loss of limbs or sight, or other permanent disabilities of the policyholder which may occur due to an accident.
2. Group Accident Insurance
Group Accident Insurance is generally taken to get coverage of their employees by the employers. Depending on the size of the group, some of the insurance companies also provide a discount on the premium. It is a great move/ value-added advantage for small organizations as it is available at a low cost. However, this is a very primary plan and which can offer limited benefits in comparison with individual plans.
Personal Accident Insurance Cover for Owner Driver
PA or Personal Accident Insurance Cover is a facility extended by the insurance company to the insured car owner-driver that offers protection to them against any accidental injuries. It offers compensation to the car owner-driver in case they have undergone any kind of bodily injuries, permanent disability, or even death due to the car accident. An owner-driver is basically the owner of the insured vehicle, who has a valid driving license.
Although many car owners are generally aware of all the legal requirements of having a car insurance plan, most people are still confused regarding whether having a personal accident cover is compulsory or not. Let’s further know the answer to this question.
Is Owning a Personal Accident Cover Mandatory?
As per the Indian Motor Tariff Act, it is only compulsory to buy a third-party liability insurance plan for your vehicle. However, due to the high numbers of claims being reported for property damage or bodily injury, it was made mandatory for all the owners of car and two-wheelers to purchase a personal accident cover as well. The intent behind this was to benefit the vehicle owner for any damage or loss occurring because of an accident.
However, the feature of purchasing a Personal Accident cover under a motor insurance plan has changed slightly with effect from Jan 2019. Below mentioned conditions are implied in the changes:
It states that if the vehicle owner has a stand-alone accident plan with Rs. 15 Lakh sum insured, then he/she can be given a waiver for Personal accident cover.
Under this cover, the amendments also imply that in case the owner-driver of a vehicle has a personal accident plan for his current two-wheeler or car, then it is not mandatory for him to purchase it for a new vehicle.
The personal accident cover is clubbed along with a Third-party liability policy or a Comprehensive Car Insurance policy and is mandatory.
Why is it Important to Purchase a Personal Accident Cover?
When we humans sense any kind of danger, we are always inclined to prepare an action plan that will protect us in the time of adversity. Driving on the road with hurrying vehicles and bad traffic, for the majority of the day makes the whole driving experience quite stressful. Moreover, such incidents are quite common, wherein despite no fault of yours, your vehicle gets banged and in the process sustains various damages.
While you are on the road, accidents can happen anytime and anywhere. Just imagine the possibility of your car being hit by a speeding truck, resulting in the driver getting hurt, which could even result in loss of one’s life or any kind of permanent disability. And when we are aware that the probability of such incidents cannot be ever denied, purchasing a personal accident cover becomes an important thing.
Additionally, under a motor insurance plan, it is significant to purchase a personal accident cover as it offers the owner-driver with maximum financial assistance in all the events. Moreover, the PA cover seems vital especially when the earning capacity of an individual gets affected.
Who Should Buy Personal Accident Insurance?
Personal Accident Insurance should be bought by everyone, irrespective of their age, occupation, and health. Individuals should generally buy this plan as soon as they become independent and start earning. Also, as per law, every car owner is compulsorily required to have a personal accident cover of up to Rs. 15 lakh.
What Is Not Covered Under Personal Accident Insurance?
Following are the exclusions of a personal accident insurance plan:
- Self-Inflicted Injuries: Self-injures are not covered under personal accidental insurance.
- Injuries/death Occurred In War: Any injury caused during due wars is not covered under personal accidental insurance.
- Venereal Or Sexually Transmitted Diseases: Personal accidental insurance does not cover venereal or sexually transmitted diseases.
- Treatment of Obesity or Cosmetic Surgery: People prefer surgeries to stand out but any injury caused during such activities is not covered under personal accidental insurance.
- Participation In Defence Operations: Personal accidental insurance does not cover accidents while participating in defense (Army/Navy/Air Force) operations.
Advantages of Personal Accident Add-On Cover in Car Insurance
Accidents can happen with any individual at any point of time in life. Therefore, it is important to consider buying a personal accident cover along with a comprehensive health insurance plan to ensure complete protection. Some of the advantages offered by personal Accident cover in Car insurance include:
- Offers financial aid to the policyholder for any healthcare expenses including drugs, hospital bills and treatment.
- Offers financial assistance to the policyholder for any income loss in case an accident leads to a permanent disability of the patient.
- Apart from the policyholder, the personal accident cover is also beneficial for surviving members of the deceased’s family.
- It does not matter if the injury suffered is major or minor, in both cases, the policyholder is eligible to avail compensation by the insurance company.
- There are certain insurance companies that offer coverage for partial and temporary disability excluding total dismemberment or demise cover.
Documents Required For A Personal Accident Insurance Claim
Following documents are required at the time of making a personal accident insurance claim:
- Death certificate
- Medical certificate
- Medicine bills
- Post-mortem report
- FIR report
Car Insurance for Popular Car Models
Car Insurance Add on Covers
- Bajaj Allianz
- Bharti Axa
- Future Generali
- Hdfc Ergo
- Icici Lombard
- Iffco Tokio
- New India
- Raheja Qbe
- Royal Sundaram
- Tata Aig
- United India
- Universal Sompo
Disclaimer: InsuranceDekho does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurance company or insurance plan.
Find Right Car Insurance Quotes by Cars Body Type
- View Renault KWID Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Swift Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Baleno Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai i20 Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Tiago Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Altroz Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Dzire Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City 4th Generation Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Verna Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City Insurance Quotes
- View Volkswagen Virtus Insurance Quotes
- View Honda Amaze Insurance Quotes
- View Renault Kiger Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Scorpio Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Vitara Brezza Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Thar Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra XUV700 Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Venue Insurance Quotes
- View Renault Triber Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Ertiga Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Innova Crysta Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti XL6 Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Vellfire Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Marazzo Insurance Quotes
Car Insurance Add-ons
Car Insurance Companies Reviews & Ratings
Personal Accident Cover in Car Insurance FAQ
Does Personal Accident Insurance covers adventure sport injuries?
No, Personal Accident Insurance does not cover accidents encountered while participating in adventure sports.
Is it compulsory to get a personal accident cover?
Yes, every car owner is compulsorily required to have a personal accident cover of up to Rs. 15 lakh. However, the policyholder has the option to buy it either with the car insurance policy or separately.
Does Personal Accident Insurance cover sexually transmitted diseases?
No, Personal Accident Insurance does not cover sexually transmitted diseases.
Is a medical check-up necessary before buying a policy?
A medical check-up may be necessary when you sign up for a new health insurance policy. However, medical check-ups are not usually needed for the renewal of policies.
Can I include my parents in personal accident insurance policy?
Yes, you can include your dependent parents up to the age of 70 years. Personal Accident Insurance Policy provides add-on benefits for dependent parents with pocket friendly premium.
Car Insurance News
- What Effects Do Car Modifications Have on Insuranc...
Learn which modifications to your automobile have an impact ...01 July 2022
- Vehicle Insurance Renewal in 5 Simple Tips
Are you thinking of renewing your insurance policy? In 5 sim...01 July 2022
- Is it possible for your GST number to be included ...
Is it possible to include your GST number in your car insura...30 June 2022
- All You Need to Learn About Personal Accident Cove...
Here's all you need to know about the required personal acci...30 June 2022
- Can I Claim Insurance for Car Scratches in India?
Despite the fact that you are allowed to make a claim for Ca...29 June 2022
- How Do I Get an Online Car Pollution Certificate?
The Pollution Under Control Certificate, or PUC certificate,...16 May 2022
- 10 Ways To Save Money On Car Insurance
Let’s discuss some tricks on how to get the best deal on you...06 May 2022
- What Effects Can Modifications Have on Your Digit ...
Read this article to discover more about the factors that de...05 May 2022
- What is a Cashless Car Insurance Policy, And How D...
The cashless auto insurance function is quite helpful in the...14 May 2022
- What Is The Best Way To Check Your Car Insurance D...
Know how you can check your car insurance details using your...04 May 2022