Two Wheeler Insurance Claim Settlement
A two wheeler insurance claim is when a policyholder raises a request with their respective insurance provider to compensate them for the damage or loss incurred by the insured with respect to their insured vehicle as stated in the policy document.
- Save upto 75%*Lowest Bike Premiums
- 45 Lakh+Happy Customers
- Claim Support7 days a week
*TP price for less than 75cc two wheeler. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers which are subject to modification. Terms and conditions apply
What is a Two-wheeler Insurance Claim Settlement?
File Bike Insurance Claim: Two-wheeler insurance claim settlement is a process where the policyholder appeals to the insurer to provide compensation for the expenses/damage incurred to the insured’s vehicle during an unfortunate event. The amount provided by the insurer at the time of claim depends on the IDV of the insured’s two-wheeler and the type of policy opted by the insured - standalone own damage, third party bike insurance, or comprehensive.
Types of Two-wheeler Claim Settlement
There are two ways to settle a two-wheeler insurance claim settlement:
1. Cashless Claim
If you take your two-wheeler to any of the authorized garages of the insurer for repairs then a cashless claim is the best suited. As suggested by the name, in a cashless claim a policyholder need not pay anything for taking the repair service for their two-wheeler at the authorized garage of the insurer. The insurer will directly make the payment to the particular garage as per the policy terms. The policyholders are required to pay the voluntary and compulsory deductible if opted for the same when buying the bike insurance plan.
2. Reimbursement Claim
In case you take your two-wheeler for repairs in any garage other than the ones authorized by the insurer, then you will have to go for a reimbursement claim process. Under this process, you need to pay for the repairs at the garage, post which you can raise a claim with the insurer for the reimbursement of the claim settlement amount. The insurer then reimburses the entire claim amount after making certain deductions such as compulsory deductible and voluntary deductible (if they have opted for it at the time of purchase of policy).
Documents Required To Claim Two-wheeler Insurance
Bike Insurance Claim: The policyholders should submit the following documents at the time of claim bike insurance:
- Insurance Policy Document
- Properly filled and signed claim form
- Driving license (DL)
- Registration Certificate (RC) of the two-wheeler
- Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate
- FIR is required if there are fatal injuries/accidents or third party liabilities
- Original receipt/bills of repairs (for reimbursement claim)
- A copy of PAN Card in case the claim amount is greater than Rs. 1 Lakh
- Duly signed Satisfaction Voucher or Discharge Voucher
Best Two Wheeler Insurance Companies As Per Claim Settlement Ratio
The claim settlement ratio of different two-wheeler insurance companies for the FY 2019-2020 is as follows -
Two Wheeler Insurance Companies
Claim Settlement Ratio FY20
Personal Accidental Cover
No Claim Bonus
|IFFCO Tokio General Insurance||95.30%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||4,300+||Available|
|Royal Sundaram General Insurance||92.66%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||4,600+||Available|
|The Oriental Insurance Company||91.76%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||3,100+||Available|
|HDFC Ergo General Insurance||91.23%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||6,800+||Available|
|Universal Sompo General Insurance||90.78%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||3,500+||Available|
|TATA AIG General Insurance||90.49%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||5,000+||Available|
|The New India Insurance||89.60%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||3,000+||Available|
|SBI General Insurance||89.51%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||16,000+||Available|
|Bajaj Allianz General Insurance||88.83%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||4,000+||Available|
|Future Generali India Insurance||88.69%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||2,500+||Available|
|Bharti AXA General Insurance||87.99%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||5,200+||Available|
|ICICI Lombard General Insurance||87.71%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||5,600+||Available|
|Liberty General Insurance||87.48%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||4,300+||Available|
|Cholamandalam MS General Insurance||85.89%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||7,100+||Available|
|National Insurance Company||85.71%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||3,100+||Available|
|Edelweiss General Insurance||84.52%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||1,000+||Available|
|Reliance General Insurance||84.26%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||3,800+||Available|
|Acko General Insurance||83.91%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||2,000+||Available|
|United India Insurance Company||82.93%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||3,100+||Available|
|Kotak Mahindra General Insurance||82.81%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||1,300+||Available|
|Go Digit General Insurance||80.47%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||1,400+||Available|
|Magma HDI General Insurance||79.60%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||4,000+||Available|
|Shriram General Insurance||77.26%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||2,000+||Available|
|Navi General Insurance||76.20%||Upto Rs. 15 Lakh||Available||900+||Available|
(Source: IBAI’s General Insurance Claim Insights Handbook For Policyholders - 5th Edition)
Calculate Your Bike Insurance
How To File Cashless Bike Insurance Claim?
Two Wheeler claim settlement process of making a cashless claim settlement for a two-wheeler may vary from one insurer to another. However, the following is a step by step two-wheeler insurance cashless claim settlement process is generally followed by the maximum insurers:
Step 1: Intimate Claim With Insurer
The first step is to inform the insurance provider about the accident involving your two-wheeler. You can call the customer helpline number or visit the official website or use the mobile app (if any) to inform your insurer. The insurer will register your claim and give you a claim reference number.
Step 2: Assessment of Damage(s) Sustained
Once the claim is registered, the insurer will be required to assign an official inspector or surveyor who will examine the damage or loss sustained by your two-wheeler and may visit the location of the accident/mishap. However, the inspector or surveyor may send you a self-inspection link on the number registered with the insurer.
Step 3: Towing and Repair Service of the Two-Wheeler
Take your bike to the nearest garage authorised by your bike insurance provider for cashless repairs. You can request towing service from your insurer. Generally, insurers provide a free towing facility for up to Rs. 1,500. Note that the towing charges may vary from one insurer to another.
Step 4: Claim Settlement
The cost of repairs will be directly paid to the garage by your insurance provider. After paying the required deductibles due on your part, you can take your two-wheeler home.
How To Make A Reimbursement Two-Wheeler Insurance Claim Settlement?
There are some common steps required to make a reimbursement two-wheeler insurance claim:
Step 1: Initiate A Claim
The first step is to inform the insurer about the accident or mishap in which the insured’s two-wheeler was involved. You can do that by contacting the customer care executives via call or email. you will get a claim reference number from the insurer after registering the claim.
Step 2: Survey And Inspection
To assess the extent of damage caused to the two-wheeler during the accident, the insurer will assign a surveyor who will inspect it. The policyholders need to submit all the necessary documents to the surveyor so that they can process the claim quickly.
Step 3: Towing and Repairs
Once the inspection is done, the policyholders need to tow their damaged two-wheeler to the nearest garage and get the repairs done. Generally, insurers provide free towing facilities up to Rs.1,500. Towing charges may vary from one insurer to another.
Step 4: Reimbursement of Claim Amount
Pay the cost of repair the garage. Then initiate a reimbursement process of claim settlement with the insurer. You will be then reimbursed the amount entitled after considering all the deductibles.
Common Claim Rejection Reasons
Due to the lack of proper claim settlement procedure including documents, a considerable number of claims get rejected or delayed by the insurance company. An insurance company has all rights to reject or accept your claim, in case they find anything suspicious. Therefore, it is extremely important to pay due attention while filing bike insurance claims either online or offline.
Some of the common reasons that can lead to claim rejection are as follows:
- The occurrence of mishaps/accidents outside the geographical arena is stated in the insurance policy.
- Occurrence of mishap/accident when the driver was under the influence of intoxicants.
- Occurrence of mishap/accident when the insured’s two-wheeler was being used for illegal activities.
- Expired insurance policy.
- If a policyholder provides any false information and the insurance company finds it out, then this could lead to claim rejection.
- In case the accident occurs while driving under the influence of alcohol or any other intoxicating substance.
- In case the accident happens due to the policyholder’s carelessness, and the insurance company gets to know about it, then the claim will not be considered.
- In case the policyholder gets their vehicle repaired without giving any information to the insurance provider regarding the accident.
- In case, the driver was not carrying a valid driving license when the accident happened, then the claim would get rejected.
- In case you don’t follow the rules and regulations, and fail to inform regarding the accident within the decided time frame.
- If the insurance company finds repair cost to be higher than the depreciated value of the two-wheeler, then you are required to bear a significant sum equivalent to your bike’s depreciated value.
What is the Maximum Bike Accident Claim Amount in India?
There are four main types of accident covers in India for two-wheelers:
Type of Cover
Who Is Covered
Type of Cover
Limit for Compensation
There is no limit
Personal Accident Cover
2.Third Party Insurance
Rs. 1 lakh
Personal Accident Cover (pillion)
The person riding with the owner-driver
Available as an add-on in comprehensive insurance or third party insurance
As per the insured sum of the policy
Personal Accident Cover (paid rider)
Available as Add-on in Comprehensive Insurance and Third Party Insurance.
As per the Workmen Compensation Act
How to File for a Bike Accident Claim?
The following steps will help you file for insurance claims in case of an accident:
- Take note of the registration numbers of the vehicles involved in the accident.
- Depending on your situation file an FIR at the nearest police station. You will be required to submit a copy of this along with the other documents to the insurance company later. If possible note the time and location.
- Inform the insurance company about the situation as soon as possible and definitely before the stipulated period.
- Submit the documents as required to the insurance company.
- Next, a surveyor will be sent to check the damage and will file a report of his assessment.
- Based on this report the company will issue the claim amount.
How to File for Bike Accident Death Insurance Claim?
The personal accident cover is available for covering the death of the owner-driver and the third party insurance to cover the liabilities of the third party’s death in case of a mishap. The following steps will help you claim insurance under these two categories:
Under a personal accident cover in case of death, the immediate family or nominee gets 100% compensation from the insurer. This is how to apply for it:
- In case of a mishap that leads to death. First, you must complete the legal requirements such as the death certificate etc.
- At the time of the accident, depending on the situation an FIR will need to be filed. A copy of this will be required for the insurance claim.
- Inform the insurance company as soon as possible. They will tell you exactly what documents you require for the process, as it may differ from one situation to the other.
- Submit the required documents and forms. Once these are checked and assessed the insurance company will issue the reimbursement amount to the nominee.
How to Claim Insurance for Bike Theft?
The following steps will guide you to file an insurance claim for bike theft:
- As soon as you find your bike missing, make a trip to your nearest police station and file an FIR. You will need a copy of this for filing the claim.
- Next, inform your bike insurance company so they can tell you what documents you require for processing the claim.
- Once the police submit the no-trace report, submit the required documents and forms. All the documents of the bike and keys will need to be handed over to the insurance company.
- The claim amount you receive will be dependent on your IDV and the depreciation it takes into account.
Can you Claim Insurance for Scratches on the Bike?
Yes, it is possible to claim insurance for small damages that occur to the two-wheeler with an own damage cover. However, it is advisable to refrain from making a claim unless the repair amount is significant or necessary. This is because you lose your NCB by making these claims and secondly multiple claims lead to higher premiums when renewing the policy.
What is the Maximum Time in Which the Insurer Should Settle a Claim When All Documents are Submitted?
After you have submitted all the required documents the insurance claim should not take longer than 30 days. In rare cases, where there is further need for investigation or other complications it should be completed within six months.
Bike Insurance for Popular Bike Models
Two Wheeler Insurance Add-ons
Bike Insurance Claim Settlement
- Bajaj Allianz
- Bharti Axa
- Future Generali
- Hdfc Ergo
- Icici Lombard
- Iffco Tokio
- New India
- Raheja Qbe
- Royal Sundaram
- Tata Aig
- United India
- Universal Sompo
Disclaimer: InsuranceDekho does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurance company or insurance plan.
Find Right Bike Insurance Quotes by Bikes Body Type
- View TVS Apache RTR 160 Insurance Quotes
- View Hero Splendor Plus Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Star City Plus Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Radeon Insurance Quotes
- View Bajaj Pulsar 125 Neon Insurance Quotes
- View Bajaj Pulsar 150 Insurance Quotes
- View Hero HF Deluxe Insurance Quotes
- View Honda SP 125 Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Jupiter Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Jupiter 125 Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Scooty Pep Plus Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Scooty Zest Insurance Quotes
- View TVS XL100 Insurance Quotes
- View TVS NTORQ 125 Insurance Quotes
- View TVS iQube Electric Insurance Quotes
- View Honda Activa 6G Insurance Quotes
- View Yamaha MT-15 Version 2.0 Insurance Quotes
- View Yamaha YZF R15 V3 Insurance Quotes
- View Bajaj Pulsar N160 Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Apache RR 310 Insurance Quotes
- View Yamaha R15 V4 Insurance Quotes
- View Bajaj Pulsar NS200 Insurance Quotes
- View Bajaj Pulsar RS200 Insurance Quotes
- View Yamaha FZS-FI V3 Insurance Quotes
- View Honda H'ness CB350 Insurance Quotes
- View Yezdi Roadster Insurance Quotes
- View Jawa Perak Insurance Quotes
- View Jawa 42 Insurance Quotes
- View Bajaj Avenger Cruise 220 Insurance Quotes
- View Honda CB350RS Insurance Quotes
- View Yezdi Adventure Insurance Quotes
- View Bajaj Avenger Street 160 Insurance Quotes
Explore Two Wheeler Insurance
Learn about Two Wheeler Insurance Claim Settlement
- Understand the process of bike insurance claim settlement in this post.
- In this article, you will get to know about the steps to file for an insurance claim.
- This article will provide the most likely reasons for the rejection of your bike insurance claim and ways to avoid it.
- Read the article to know some common reasons that could result in your claim getting rejected.
- Read this article to understand how avoiding small claims will reduce the cost of your bike insurance premium.
Bike Insurance Companies Reviews & Ratings
Two-wheeler Insurance Claim Settlement FAQs
What is a bike insurance claim settlement?
A bike insurance claim wherein a policyholder raises a request with the insurance company to honour its promise to provide compensation for the damage incurred by the policyholder in relation to their bike. A bike insurance claim can be settled either in a cashless or reimbursement manner.
Is an FIR required for a bike insurance claim settlement?
A First Information Report (FIR) is required in cases wherein any person has incurred bodily damages or in cases of death.
How many times we can claim bike insurance in a year?
You can make any number of claims under your bike insurance plan subject to its sum assured i.e. the Insured Declared Value mentioned under it.
How is the claim settled if my two-wheeler gets stolen?
In case the insured’s two-wheeler gets stolen, an insurance claim can be made in the following steps:
- Step 1: First off, register an FIR (First Information Report) at the nearest police station and inform the insurance provider. The police will then try to trace your two-wheeler for the next 90 days. If the police is not able to trace your two-wheeler it will issue a report mentioning that the two-wheeler was not traceable.
- Step 2: Post issuance of the non-traceable report by the police, a Non Objection Certificate (NOC) will be issued by a court of law.
- Step 3: After the NOC is issued, your insurer will start an investigation for the two-wheeler from their side. In case the insurer fails to trace the vehicle, they will initiate the claim settlement process.
- Step 4: Since it’s a matter of theft, which is a total loss, the insurer will provide you with the IDV of the two-wheeler after factoring all the deductibles.
How can I locate the nearest garage authorised by my insurance provider?
You can locate the nearest authorized garage of the insurer either by calling the customer service helpline of your insurance provider or look for it on their official website. This option is present in the claims section on the official website in the name ‘list of network garages’. Alternatively you can locate the cashless garages of all insurance providers at www.insurancedekho.com
When and to whom should I submit all the documents?
The policyholders should submit their documents to the surveyor at the time of assessment of damages sustained by the two-wheeler.
What are the reasons behind the rejection of bike insurance claims?
Following are some of the common rejection reasons under bike insurance:
- Submission of an incomplete claim form
- Information mismatch between the claim form and submitted documents
- Accident of insured’s bike due to state of intoxication of the driver
- Accident of insured’s bike when the driver is driving without a valid driving licence and RC
- Accident of insured’s bike when it was used for illegal activities
- Accident of insured’s bike due to reckless and careless driving
- Submission of wrong information at the time of policy purchase
- Delay made in intimating the insurer after an accident.
How do I get claims on my bike insurance in India?
You can make a claim under your bike insurance policy in hassle-free manner by contacting the InsuranceDekho team by clicking here. Our claims team will take care of the entire claims process. You can read about the claim process in detail here.
Can I claim bike insurance without a license?
No, you need to submit a copy of your driving license at the time of a claim settlement.
Is a canceled cheque necessary to claim bike insurance?
No, a canceled cheque is not required to claim bike insurance.
Bike Insurance News
- 10 Things to Think About Before Buying a Used Bike
Due to the abundance of good-condition two-wheelers, many in...01 July 2022
- Are Add-On Covers in a Two-Wheeler Insurance Polic...
Insurance for two-wheelers Add-on covers are optional covera...01 July 2022
- Renewing Your Two-Wheeler Insurance in the Most Po...
When insurance was first introduced, the only method to obta...30 June 2022
- Is Multi-Year Motorcycle Insurance Beneficial?
Learn about the advantages of getting multi-year bike insura...30 June 2022
- A Buyer's Guide to Bicycle Insurance for First-Tim...
Read this post to learn all you need to know about purchasin...29 June 2022
- 10 Tips For Riding In Congested Areas
Here are some tips that will help you manage your bike ridin...04 May 2022
- Why Shouldn't You Use a Fancy Number Plate On Your...
Know why you shouldn't use a fancy number plate on you bike....04 May 2022
- Renewal Benefits for Two-Wheeler Insurance
Here are some of the benefits of renewing your bike insuranc...06 May 2022
- How Can You Check Your Bike Insurance Policy's Exp...
Perhaps you're looking for a step-by-step guide on how to ch...14 May 2022
- Learn Everything About Bike Registration Through R...
Read on to learn more about how to register your new bike an...19 May 2022