Loss of Personal Belongings Add-on in Car Insurance
Many times you just don’t lose a car in case of theft, but also lose some personal belongings as well, which are also costly. With the inclusion of personal belonging cover, the insurance coverage will pay for losses caused by the theft of your personal property from the insured car. You can purchase this add-on cover by paying an additional premium.
Calculate Your Car Insurance Premium Online
Select your car brand
Which city is your car registered in?
When did you buy your car?
While going out people carry required belongings with them and to keep them safe they generally keep them in the car if they step out however there are chances of theft of the car and personal belongings in it as well. A standalone own-damage and a comprehensive car insurance policy such a plan does not cover the loss of the personal belongings of the policyholder which were there in the car. To include the loss of the personal belongings in the insurance coverage one can opt for loss of belonging cover as an add on to the base policy.
What is a Personal Belonging Cover?
A standalone own-damage and a comprehensive car insurance policy offers financial protection only for the car being stolen and does not offer protection for the personal belongings in the car which means that the theft of any belongings that were there in the car is a loss to the policyholder and he/she will have to pay for them out of their pocket. The policyholder can get the belongings covered through an add-on cover at an additional premium.
What is Not Covered Under Personal Belongings Add-on?
The following are the exclusions that are not covered under personal belonging add-on:
- If the car was stolen as a result of the policyholder’s negligence
- Belongings that the policyholder does not carry around
- Belongings that are to be locked in a safety deposit box
- Loss due to theft which was not reported to the police within 24 hours of finding out
- Loss due to wear and tear of the climate, electrical or mechanical failure, etc.
- Borrowed property
- Belongings of the owner of the car that he/she has given to a third party
- Important documents
- List of the items that aren’t mentioned in the police report
- Damage to the belongings that were kept in the car overnight
What is the Claim Settlement Process of a policy having Personal Belongings Add-on?
Claim settlement process for a policy having personal belongings add-on involves the following:
- Inform the car insurance company within 24 hours of the car being stolen.
- At the time of claim intimation, the policyholder needs to provide his/her personal details like name, contact details, policy number, time and date of the theft, area of the incident etc.
- A police file report and a copy of the same is a must.
Documentation Required for the Claim Settlement Process
The policyholder is required to submit the following documents to the insurance provider during the claim settlement process:
- Filled and signed Claim Form
- Copy of the FIR filed by him/her
- The final investigation report drafted by the police
- Original invoice and receipts that support the claim
- Property irregularity report
Benefits of Purchasing Personal Belonging Add-On Cover
By paying only a small additional premium amount you can buy personal belonging add-on cover. Some of the common benefits of personal belonging add-on cover is listed below:
1. Protection for Personal Belongings
There are a lot of individuals, who while travelling in cars carry expensive things with them such as laptop, smartphone, jewellery, tablet, etc. Due to an unfortunate event like an accident or natural calamity, the belongings can get damaged pretty badly and beyond repair. Generally, these damages are not included under the basic car insurance plan. However, by purchasing personal belongings add-on cover by paying an extra amount can help you in safeguarding your personal belongings from any kind of theft or damage.
2. Peace of Mind
Life is uncertain and unfortunate incidents can happen at any time with anybody. In case, if any such incident happens with you in future, then having a personal belonging insurance cover will let you have some peace of mind after experiencing an unpleasant incident and losing all your expensive belongings in the accident.
3. Eases off your Financial Burden
In case, in any worst case scenario you end up losing all your expensive personal belongings such as laptop, phone, tablet etc, then this could financially drain you off. However, by purchasing personal belongings add on cover along with the car insurance plan can save you from the horror. As your insurance company would compensate you for the loss if you have personal belonging add-on cover with you.
Car Insurance for Popular Car Models
Car Insurance Add on Covers
- Bajaj Allianz
- Future Generali
- Hdfc Ergo
- Icici Lombard
- Iffco Tokio
- New India
- Raheja Qbe
- Royal Sundaram
- Tata Aig
- United India
- Universal Sompo
Disclaimer: InsuranceDekho does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurance company or insurance plan.
Car Insurance By Popular Car Manufacturers
Find Right Car Insurance Quotes by Cars Body Type
- View Tata Nexon Insurance Price
- View Mahindra Thar Insurance Price
- View Hyundai Exter Insurance Price
- View Tata Punch Insurance Price
- View Hyundai Creta Insurance Price
- View Toyota Fortuner Insurance Price
- View Maruti Swift Insurance Price
- View Maruti Baleno Insurance Price
- View Hyundai i20 Insurance Price
- View Maruti Wagon R Insurance Price
- View Tata Altroz Insurance Price
- View Tata Tiago Insurance Price
- View Maruti Dzire Insurance Price
- View Hyundai Verna Insurance Price
- View Volkswagen Virtus Insurance Price
- View Honda City Insurance Price
- View Hyundai Aura Insurance Price
- View Skoda Slavia Insurance Price
- View Toyota Innova Crysta Insurance Price
- View Maruti Ertiga Insurance Price
- View Toyota Rumion Insurance Price
- View Renault Triber Insurance Price
- View Maruti XL6 Insurance Price
- View Maruti Invicto Insurance Price
Car Insurance Add-ons
Car Insurance Companies Reviews & Ratings
Loss of Personal Belongings Add-on in Car Insurance FAQ
What if I forget to inform the police about the theft of the car?
It is important to file an FIR because, without this, your car theft claim process will not be initiated.
I do not have the policy documents carrying details of Personal Belongings Add-on, can I claim for it?
No, you need to submit the policy documents for the claim.
Does this policy provide coverage for the items that were not mentioned in the police report?
No, Personal Belongings Add-on does not provide coverage for the items that were not mentioned in the police report.
Is it necessary to buy a Personal Belongings Add-on with a car insurance policy?
It is not mandatory to buy a Personal Belongings Add-on with a car insurance policy however it is advised to buy it as it provides financial protection against the theft of personal belongings that were there in the car and the policyholder need not to pay for them out of their pocket.
Can I buy Personal Belongings Add-on and Roadside Assistance Add-on along with a car insurance policy?
Yes, you can definitely buy Personal Belongings Add-on and Roadside Assistance Add-on along with a car insurance policy add-ons by paying an extra amount for that.
Car Insurance News
Uncover 11 essential strategies for Indian car enthusiasts t...22 September 2023
Discover the comprehensive guide on claiming Own Damage Car ...22 September 2023
Discover the key to preserving your car's pristine appearanc...22 September 2023
Explore the significance of Tyre Speed Ratings.22 September 2023
Learn about different types of electric vehicles (EVs)21 September 2023