Health Insurance Plans for Family
Health Insurance Plans for Family is a kind of medical insurance that covers the entire family under a fixed sum insured. Under family health insurance, you can cover two or more family members for several healthcare expenses including in-patient hospitalization expenses, pre-hospitalization & post-hospitalization expenses, daycare expenses, etc.
- Tax BenefitUp to 75000**
- Claim SupportEveryday 10AM-7PM
- 45 Lacs+Happy Customers
*Standard Terms and Conditions Apply.
**Tax benefits are subject to changes in Income Tax Act.
What Is Family Health Insurance Plan?
Opting for a family health insurance policy entails having your family's medical bills covered by the insurance provider. In exchange, you commit to an annual fee known as the 'premium,' which can be conveniently paid in smaller monthly amounts. The scope of coverage varies based on your chosen policy and provider. It shields your finances by encompassing medical treatments, hospital stays, ambulance services, lab expenditures, and associated costs. Certain plans may even extend to compensating for income loss.
5 Best Health Insurance Plans for Family in India for November 2023
The best Health Insurance Plans for family in India are mentioned below:
Health Insurance Plans
Rs. 5,00,000 - 1,00,00,000
2 adults (spouse and policyholder) + 3 children
Rs. 5,00,000 to Rs.
2 adults (spouse and policyholder) + 4 children
Rs. 5,00,000 - Rs. 15,00,000
2 adults (spouse and policyholder) + 3 children
Rs. 2,00,000 to Rs.
2 adults (spouse and policyholder) + 3 children
Rs. 2,00,000 - Rs. 50,00,000
2 adults (spouse and policyholder) + 3 children
Health Insurance Calculator
Whom do you want the insurance for ?
Select the age of all members
Where do you live ?
Choose required Coverage for yourself?
Benefits of Family Health Insurance Plan
Buying a mediclaim policy for the family can benefit you in multiple ways. Following are the benefits which are available health insurance for your family:
Stress-Free Hospitalization: Mediclaim policy for family keep you at ease as they do not involve the tedious task of purchasing separate health insurance plans for every family member on an individual basis. Likewise, it manages the hassle of paying separate health care coverage charges to cover each relative. At the time of hospitalization, the insured individual can avail cashless treatment at a network hospital as in the case of individual insurance policies. This way, you can appreciate health cover for every one of your friends and family without compromising with the treatment.
Easy to Add New Family Members: Under the family health insurance policy, you can easily add a new family member, which is not the case in an individual health insurance policy. - In case of adding new family members to the current medical care coverage strategy, you should consistently consider expanding the sum assured to get adequate inclusion for all. Also, in the case when the eldest family member is no more, then the other insured family members can avail the coverage benefits. This can be considered as one of the most amazing benefits of family health insurance plans.
Health Insurance Cover for Parents Under the Same Policy: One of the significant advantages of having a family medical coverage strategy is that you can add your just as your companion's folks under a solitary arrangement. Otherwise, you can even get individual health insurance plans for dependent parents or in-laws by paying an extra premium.
Cover For Coronavirus Disease For Family: You can purchase a mediclaim policy for family that covers you and your family against the healthcare expenses related to COVID-19. There are different medical coverage organizations in the market that offer Covid health care coverage like Corona Rakshak Policy and Corona Kavach Policy. These transient strategies come at reasonable charges and cover insurance to your whole family. Crown Kavach Policy covers you against hospitalization costs brought about because of positive determination of COVID-19, ICU costs, PPE units, specialist's charge, and so forth. In case you wish to purchase a separate health insurance policy for every family member, then you can go for Corona Rakshak Policy. You can also ask your existing health insurance company to offer cover against the expenses related to COVID-19 treatment.
Tax Benefits Under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act 1961: Apart from the several coverage benefits, you can also avail tax benefits on the premium paid under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Lower Dependency on Group Plans: Many organizations offer health insurance plans to their employees as perks of joining their companies. Be that as it may, few out of every odd time the inclusion presented under these plans is adequate for yourself as well as your family. Henceforth, purchasing a different health care coverage strategy, for this situation, can be productive as it offers exhaustive inclusion and keeps you secured consistently. Also, health insurance coverage provided by an employer is valid until you leave that organization, after which, you will not be offered any coverage. Hence, it is a wise option to go for a family health insurance policy.
Keeps You Prepared For All Emergencies: Family health insurance plans offer you much-needed protection at all times, thereby keeping you prepared for emergencies.
Comprehensive Coverage: There are several comprehensive family health insurance plans in the market that keep you covered at all times. These mediclaim policies for family offer adequate inclusion to you and your relatives according to their requirements.
COVID-19 Health Insurance for Family Members: You can purchase health insurance cover for COVID-19 to protect yourself and your family members financially against Coronavirus. Although the majority of the insurance providers are providing COVID-19 treatment under a standard health insurance policy, a COVID-19 specific plan named ‘Corona Kavach’ has been launched that provides hospitalization expenses incurred on the Coronavirus treatment on a family floater basis.
Tax Benefits Offered: Under the Income Tax Act section 80D, there is a tax deduction offered towards the health insurance premium. In case you are paying the health insurance premium for your parents and family members including you, spouse, and dependent children, then you are eligible to receive tax benefits.
Save Tax With Family Health Insurance Plan
A policyholder can receive tax deductions on the premiums paid towards family health insurance plans as per section 80D of the Income Tax Act. The maximum derivation permitted is Rs. 25,000 for wellbeing expenses.This cutoff is pertinent for the expense paid towards medical coverage plans purchased for you, life partner and ward kids. However in case, either you or your partner is a senior citizen, aged 60 years and above, then the tax deduction available under section 80D goes up to Rs. 50,000. Similarly, deductions for Hindu Undivided Families(HUF) members are Rs, 25,000 and Rs. 50,000 in case you are aged less than 60 years and more than 60 years respectively.
How Many Members Can Be Covered Under Family Medical Insurance Plans?
The total number of members covered under a family health insurance policy varies from insurance company to insurance company.
In general, family floater plans permit inclusion for people, spouses and dependent children. A few plans additionally permit the consideration of ward guardians.In addition, there are certain family health insurance plans that offer a provision to cover individual, spouse, dependent children, dependent parents along with relationships like siblings, parents-in-law, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, nephew, and niece.
Key Factors To Consider While Purchasing Mediclaim Policy for Family
Following are the factors which you should consider while purchasing a family health insurance plan:
1.Coverage benefits: One of the most important factors to consider when buying family health insurance plans is to check the coverage benefits. Usually, family health insurance plans cover you for in-patient hospitalization expenses, pre-hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation expenses, daycare expenses, domiciliary hospitalization expenses, organ donor expenses, and road ambulance expenses.You can search for other inclusion benefits likewise, for example, rebuilding benefit, lifetime sustainability benefit, tax benefits, etc.
2.Flexibility to increase sum insured option under your policy: The cost of medical treatments do not remain the same.Subsequently, you should search for a family health care coverage strategy that offers you the adaptability to expand your total protection at the hour of restoration. Some health insurance companies offer you an increment in sum insured as a reward if you have not made any claim in the previous year.
3.Cashless hospitalization: Cashless hospitalization benefit keeps you stress-free as you do not have to manage funds at the last minute, in order to get the required treatment.Thus, while picking a family health care insurance policy, ensure that the insurance company has tie-ups with sufficient organization medical clinics and offers credit only therapy in them. Also, it is recommended to shortlist a few nearby your residence so that you do not waste time in case an emergency arises.
4.Maximum renewability age: Generally, family health insurance plans come with lifetime renewability benefits. But some health insurance companies restrict the renewability age to 60-65 years. It is important to make a decision after considering this factor as it will help you stay protected in times when you need it the most, i.e. old age.
5.Hassle-free claim settlement process: Although the claim settlement process of every health insurance company is the same, it is still important to check if the insurance company that you are about to choose offers a smooth claim settlement ratio or not. To guarantee this, you can check the surveys of individuals previously safeguarded under the strategy, at InsuranceDekho. Likewise, you can really look at the Claim Settlement Ratio of the safety net provider for earlier years.
6. Exclusions under the policy: As important it is to check the inclusions under a health insurance policy, equally important it is to check the exclusions under it. Ensure you choose a strategy with least rejections so you can appreciate wide inclusion.
Health Insurance Coverage Calculator
Who do you want to insured ?
Age of eldest insured member ?
Where do you live ?
Inclusions Under Family Floater Health Insurance Plans
Generally, family floater health insurance plans cover you for the following healthcare expenses:
In-patient hospitalization expenses: These are the costs that emerge because of hospitalization for no less than 24 constant hours.
Pre-hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation expenses: These are the expenses that incur before and after hospitalization, such as x-ray, doctor’s consultation, etc.
Daycare expenses: Daycare procedures are those which do not require hospitalization of at least 24 hours. For instance, balloon sinuplasty, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, etc.
Road ambulance expenses: These are the costs caused on-road ambulances in shipping the patient to the nearest hospital.
Organ donor expenses: Many health insurance plans for families also cover you for expenses incurred on organ harvesting.
Exclusions Under Family Floater Health Insurance Plans
Generally, family floater health insurance plans do not cover you for the following healthcare expenses:
Waiting period: Every medical service protection strategy for families goes with a fundamental holding up period, during which no cases will be supported. Other waiting periods are for pre-existing illnesses, specific illnesses, etc., for which the insured is not covered, for a specific period of time.
Expenses incurred due to participation in adventure sports: Health insurance plans for families do not cover you for expenses incurred due to participation in adventure sports such as rock climbing, parasailing, etc.
HIV/AIDS: Mostly, expenses incurred due to HIV/AIDS or related treatments are not covered under family health insurance plans.
Intake or abuse of tobacco: Any ailment or injury emerging because of utilization of tobacco,intoxicating drugs or hallucinogens are not covered under these plans.
Self-inflicted injury: Any expenses arising due to an act of self-harm like suicide is not covered under these plans.
Things You Must Consider Before Purchasing a Family Health Insurance Plan
Here are a few points that you must consider before purchasing a health insurance policy for your family members:
Check the Plan Coverage: It is important to check the coverage presented under the family medical coverage plans prior to buying it. Most of the health insurance plans provide coverage towards daycare expenses, ambulance costs, in-hospitalization expenses, pre-hospitalisation expenses, post-hospitalisation expenses, etc. Choose an insurance plan that offers sufficient coverage within the budget for your family’s health needs.
Check Cashless Hospitalization Availability: In India, all the health insurance providers give credit only to hospitalization offices at the recorded emergency clinics. It makes the entire hospitalization procedure hassle-free and seamless. However, it is important to check the list of network hospitals before purchasing the policy to make sure that the good hospitals nearby your house are included under the list.
Choose a Plan with Sum Insured Enhancement Feature: The expenses associated with healthcare facilities keep on increasing because of inflation. Therefore, you must choose a plan that comes with the feature to increase your sum insured at the time of plan renewals. Various insurance companies give a total reward advantage that builds how much aggregate is guaranteed for up to 100%, on the off chance that no cases have been raised by you during the past arrangement residency.
Receive Hassle-Free Claim Settlement: Before you decide to purchase any health insurance policy for your family ensure to check and understand the claim settlement procedure of the insurance company. Choose an insurance policy that has a fast claim settlement procedure. Most of the insurance providers offer cashless hospitalization facilities that are hassle-free and swift.
Check the Maximum Age for Renewal: In India, a few health insurance providers offer renewal options for family health insurance plans till the time the eldest family member turns 60 or 65 years old. However, you should pick a family health care coverage strategy that accompanies a choice of long-lasting arrangement recharging.
Who All Are Eligible to Purchase Family Health Insurance Plans?
A family health insurance policy can be purchased by any individual who wants to receive a financial backup for healthcare emergencies for themselves as well as their family members.The larger part of the protection suppliers has fixed the passage age at 18 years for buying the policy. However, the dependents for the insurance plan can be between 91 days to 65-75 years according to the terms stated by the insurance provider.
Documents Required While Purchasing Family Health Insurance Plans
Some of the documents required while purchasing family health insurance plans are as follows:
1. Proof of Age: It is an important document required at the time of purchasing health insurance as most of the insurance plans have a set entry age. A copy of the followings documents can be submitted:
- PAN Card
- Voter ID Card
- Aadhaar Card
- Driving License
- Birth Certificate
2. Proof of Address: The health insurance provider would need to send several communications on the postal address of the policyholder. The following documents can be submitted by the policyholder:
- Driving License
- Ration Card
- PAN Card
- Aadhar Card
- Utility Bills such as telephone bill, electricity bills, etc.
- Rental Agreement in case applicable
3. Proof of Identity: Identity proofs are needed for record purposes. These records help the insurance company in distinguishing the sort of inclusion proposed to the policyholder. The following documents can be submitted by the policyholder:
- Voter ID Card
- Driving License
- Aadhar Card
- Medical Reports (in case asked by the insurance company)
- Passport Size Photo
- Duly filled and signed proposal form
How to Buy a Family Health Insurance Plan Online At InsuranceDekho?
InsuranceDekho offers you a wide range of family health insurance plans. You can buy the plans either online or offline. To buy these plans online, you are required to follow the easy steps given below:
1. Visit insurancedekho.com and click on the ‘health’ tab.
2. Enter personal details like gender, name, and mobile number. You will receive a One Time Password (OTP) on that number. Kindly enter that.
3. Answer the question ‘When do you want to buy the policy’ from the options in the drop-down menu. Click on ‘View Quotes’.
4. Select the family member(s) you want to include in your family health insurance policy. Then click on the ‘Continue’ button.
5. Enter the age of the selected family member(s).
6. Enter your Email ID and then your City. Click on ‘Submit and View Quotes’. Top family health insurance plans as per your requirement will be displayed on your screen. Select the most suitable one from them according to your budget and other requirements.
7. Select the policy term for the shortlisted plan and make the payment via secured payment gateway.
8. To buy family health insurance plans offline, you can contact the customer care executives at InsuranceDekho n the toll-free number 7551196989 and share your requirements. They will help you buy the most affordable plan within a few minutes.
9. You may also mail us at customer support [at] insurancedekho.com in case further support is required.
Top Reasons to Buy Family Health Insurance Plans Online
Buying a reliable family health insurance policy online offers you several other advantages apart from the coverage benefits, as compared to buying the policy in an offline mode. Read below the reasons that make buying a health insurance policy online a great deal:
Utmost Convenience: Buying a family health insurance policy online is very convenient. The online process allows you to compare or buy the most suitable policy anytime, anywhere, without any help. Apart from this, you are not even required to fill out different forms or stand in long queues to own a policy. Assuming you purchase a family medical coverage strategy online at InsuranceDekho, it will take you only 5 minutes, which implies you can save adequate time for this situation when contrasted with the disconnected mode.
Instant Quotes: To be able to buy a family health insurance policy online, all you need to do is fill out a quote at InsuranceDekho. After that, you will see the most suitable policies on your screen. From them, you can pick the best one according to your necessities and pay the premium to possess the arrangement. The process takes just a few minutes.
Flexible-Premium Payment Modes: For instance, at InsuranceDekho, you can pay the premium via Debit card, Credit card, or e-wallets as per your choice. Rest assured, you will be provided with a secured payment gateway.
Instant Policy Issuance: When buying family health insurance policies online, the policies are issued instantly to the policy buyers. Unlike now, previously the policy buyers had to wait for weeks to get the policy documents. Likewise, presently the approach records are shared by means of email which makes the interaction significantly more helpful and bother-free.
Easy Access to Services: Keeping a track of the policy benefits is easier when done online. It helps you keep your policy documents handy as well as help you avail of the after sales-services online. You can likewise raise a case online by downloading a mobile application.
Absolute Transparency: Online health insurance buying process offers you absolute transparency. It allows you to book an online consultation, calculate BMI, or monitor calorie intake, all via a mobile application.
How to Raise a Claim Under Family Health Insurance Policy?
You can register for a health insurance claim in 2 ways i.e. Reimbursement claim and Cashless claim. Filling for both types of claims is mentioned below:
Reimbursement Claim Process
- Firstly, call and inform your insurance provider about your health emergency.
- You can go to any non-network hospital for the purpose of treatment.
- Make payment against your hospital bills and collect all the necessary documents during the discharge.
- From that point, you are needed to present the case structure close by different reports to your insurance company.
- Then, the claim team would review the claim made by you. And, after the review, you would get a letter of rejection or approval from them once it has been verified.
Cashless Claim Process
- You are required to first inform your insurance provider regarding any medical emergency.
- Thereafter, fill in the pre-authorization form, which can be found either at the network hospital or Third Party Administrator (TPA).
- You need to submit a pre-authorization form alongside other documents to the network hospital that would forward it further to your insurance company.
- The case supervisory crew of the insurance company would send you the endorsement letter once the case demand gets supported.
- In case, there is any doubt about your claim, then your respective insurance provider would connect with the hospital for the same purpose.
- In case, it does not get approved, then you need to request a reimbursement claim.
- Once the claim gets approved, you can get your treatment at the hospital and complete all the documentation processes before getting discharged.
- Your insurance company would settle the bills straightforwardly with the recorded medical clinic.
*Tax benefits are subject to changes in Income Tax Act.
Choose Family Health Insurance Plan With
- Care Health Insurance
- Star Health Insurance
- Royal Sundaram Health Insurance
- Universal Sompo Health Insurance
- Aditya Birla Health Insurance
- Zuno Health Insurance
- New India Assurance Health Insurance
- Reliance Health Insurance
- Tata AIG Health Insurance
- Bajaj Allianz Health Insurance
- Liberty Health Insurance
- Kotak Mahindra Health Insurance
- IFFCO Tokio Health Insurance
- ManipalCigna Health Insurance
- ICICI Lombard Health Insurance
- Future Generali Health Insurance
- Bharti AXA (now ICICI Lombard) Health Insurance
- HDFC ERGO Health Insurance
- SBI Health Insurance
- National Health Insurance
- Cholamandalam Health Insurance
- Raheja QBE Health Insurance
- Oriental Health Insurance
- United India Health Insurance
- Magma HDI Health Insurance
- Digit Health Insurance
Disclaimer: InsuranceDekho does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurance company or insurance plan.
Variety Of Health Insurance Plans
Health Insurance Terminologies
Buy Critical Illness Health Insurance
Learn more about family Health Insurance
- Choosing best health insurance policy may save your money during critical medical treatment. From a variety of health insurance plans in the market, choosing the most suitable one for you can be a tiresome task. This article contains details of best healt
- Want to know how to spend time at home during coronavirus lockdown? Here are a few things you can indulge in and utilize your free time in a perfect manner.
- Understand the importance of health insurance claim settlement ratio. View list of 10 best health insurance companies with fast claim settlement process.
- Looking for health insurance with pre-existing disease coverage? You are at the right place! To uncover your options, continue reading.
- Purchasing dental health cover brings along many benefits. Read here to know best plans that offer dental insurance cover in India.
- Buying cashless health insurance policy is the need of the hour. The article explains 5 best cashless health insurance policies in India. Read here.
- Want to save yourself from out-of-pocket medical expenses? Buy health insurance with OPD cover to make the most of your medical investment. To know why and how, read along.
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions comes with a waiting period. When buying health insurance with PED cover, every individual should look for waiting period to make the ideal choice. To know more, read along.
- OPD Expense Coverage in Health Insurance Policy: Get to know the key benefits OPD Expense Coverage in health insurance.
- Health insurance plans for senior citizens are designed to help seniors during their golden period of life. Read about the 5 best senior citizen health insurance plans here.
Best Insurance Advisors in Your City.
FAQ About Family Health Insurance
What is health insurance for family?
Family health insurance plans are those which provide medical insurance coverage to the entire family in case of an emergency. These policies cover the entire family under single sum insured. Family health insurance plans work out more effectively in terms of cost as compared to buying individual health insurance plans separately for all family members.
What are the benefits of health insurance plans for family?
Health insurance plans for family offer you the following benefits:
- These plans come at affordable premiums
- Cover the entire family under single policy
- Tax benefits under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961
- Can enjoy comprehensive cover
- Maternity cover
- High coverage for every family member
- Easy addition of new family members
Which is the best family health insurance in India?
There are several family health insurance plans in the market that offer wide coverage to the insured. Some popular ones include Star Family Health Optima plan, Royal Sundaram Family Plus policy, Universal Sompo Complete Healthcare Insurance policy, and Digit Health Plus policy.
How much does health insurance cost for a family?
Premiums for family health insurance plans differ from insurer to insurer. At InsuranceDekho, you can buy health insurance plans for families at affordable premiums.
Is the cashless facility provided under a family health insurance plan?
Yes. You can avail cashless as well as reimbursement treatment under family health insurance plans.
Health Insurance Companies User Reviews
Health Insurance News
Explore the world of Religare Health Insurance with our guid...23 November 2023
Health insurance premium is the amount you pay to get covera...22 November 2023
Health insurance plans, like other goods and services, incur...21 November 2023
Find out all about ICICI Lombard health plans and their bene...07 November 2023
Find out all about the different ways in which you can retai...24 October 2023