Karunya Health Insurance Scheme by Kerala Government
Karunya health insurance scheme provides healthcare assistance to underprivileged people. Basically, treatment coverage is given to people suffering from critical illnesses.
- Tax BenefitUp to 1,50,000**
- Claim SupportEveryday 10AM-7PM
- 45 Lacs+Happy Customers
*Standard Terms and Conditions Apply.
**Tax benefits are subject to changes in Income Tax Act.
Karunya Health Insurance Scheme by Kerala Government
With the medical advancement, the cost of treatment will rise in India which may comprise infrastructure, facilities, hospitalisation, medications, and so on. On this note, the Indian government has introduced various health insurance schemes to provide healthcare assistance to underprivileged people.
Karunya Health Insurance Scheme is a part of such initiatives that was launched by the Kerala Government with the aim to offer quality healthcare to the poverty-stricken segment of the society at a nominal charge of premium. This ambitious health insurance project was launched by the UDF government in 2012 to provide the required benefits to the underprivileged or poor people of society. The Kerala Lottery funds this insurance scheme and the amount is transferred directly to offer a settlement for the network hospitals.
Karunya Health Insurance Scheme in Kerala: Coverage, Eligibility and Features
The sole purpose of this scheme is to provide treatment coverage to people suffering from critical illnesses. Under this scheme, every family must receive a health cover of Rs. 5 lakhs each year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalisation.
Eligibility for Karunya Health Insurance Scheme
The eligibility criteria to enrol in the Karunya health insurance scheme is listed below:
- The beneficiary should be a resident of Kerala.
- Applicants below the line of poverty can only apply for this scheme. All the BPL and APL families with annual income less than Rs. 3 lakhs are eligible for this insurance scheme.
- People applying for this scheme should own their Aadhaar card and income certificate to get enrolled along with some other required documents.
Benefits of Karunya Health Insurance Scheme
The Karunya Health Scheme by the Government of Kerala works in a similar way to that of a critical illness insurance cover. This cover allows people who are suffering from critical chronic illnesses to get treatment benefits. Some of the acute illnesses covered under this insurance cover comprise:
- Palliative Care
- Heart diseases
- Kidney diseases
One gets the treatment for the aforementioned illnesses under this scheme easily as it provides treatment benefits up to Rs. 2 lakh. For specific events of major ailments, the treatment benefit provided under this scheme can be increased maximum to Rs. 3 lakh. The best aspect of this health insurance scheme is that if your medical treatment costs exceed the estimated treatment cost, you will get a reimbursement for that amount.
Features of Karunya Health Insurance Scheme
Listed below are some of the key features of the Karunya Health Insurance Scheme:
- The government has disbursed around Rs.250 crore for this health insurance
- Initially, the treatment benefits under this health scheme were provided only through government healthcare facilities or hospitals, but later on, different private hospitals also got empanelled to give treatment under this cover.
- All the information and details about this health insurance scheme can be checked on its official website, i.e. https://www.karunya.kerala.gov.in. Here you can get all the details about the application and declaration form, claim process, list of network hospitals, and so on.
- You can easily find the details of the list of nominees or beneficiaries on the website. In the menu, you can just click on the ‘list of beneficiaries’ and select your district, hospital, and dates.
- For application tracking, you will have to click on the ‘application tracking’ tab and enter the file number. The current status of your application shall appear after that.
Documents Required To Apply For Karunya Health Insurance Scheme
You can apply for the registration process of the Karunya Health Insurance Scheme by submitting the list of documents given below:
1. Identity Proof: Basic ID proof such as Aadhaar Card, Voter ID, etc, is needed to prove that you are a resident of Kerala.
2. Residential Details: The residential proof should be submitted in its original form.
3. BPL Card: Since this health insurance scheme is aimed to provide treatment for underprivileged people of the society, therefore, applicants have to present enough evidence to validate that. For BPL cardholders, it is compulsory to present the document while the online registration process to avail the benefits of this scheme.
4. Income Certificate: On the basis of your annual income, the Government of Kerala will decide your eligibility for the health insurance scheme. Hence, you need to make sure to keep all the required documents handy that contains your income details while applying for this health insurance scheme.
5. Additional Requirements: In addition to these, a copy of the ration card, passport-size photo, and estimate of the total amount which was spent at the hospital must also be submitted along with your health insurance scheme application form.
Health Insurance Calculator
Whom do you want the insurance for ?
Select the age of all members
Where do you live ?
Choose required Coverage for yourself?
Health Insurance Companies User Reviews
Why to Buy Health Insurance Policy Online from InsuranceDekho
- Tax benefit upto 75,000*
- Claim support everyday 10AM-7PM
- 45 Lacs+ happy customers
Buy Critical Illness Health Insurance
Choose a Health Insurance Plan For
Explore Health Insurance
Health Insurance Articles
- Latest Articles
- Popular Articles
- Importance of Getting Health Insurance That Cover...
With COVID-19 pandemic spread far and wide, and the scenario...02 January 2022
- Protect Yourself from Omicron
Omicron is delivering a loud and obvious message that this...01 January 2022
- Benefits of Senior Citizens Red Carpet Policy offe...
A health insurance policy is a must for all senior citizens ...04 December 2021
- Benefits of Arogya Premier Policy Offered by SBI G...
SBI General Insurance Company offers several health insuranc...27 November 2021
- Benefits of Health Companion Policy offered by Niv...
Health Companion Policy is a popular indemnity based health ...20 November 2021
- Best Health Insurance Companies In 2021 Based On C...
The claim settlement ratio is an important aspect of any ins...31 March 2021
- Best Dental Insurance Plans You can Buy Online in ...
Purchasing dental health cover brings along many benefits. R...29 January 2020
- How to Check Star Health Insurance Policy Status a...
Do you want to check Star Health Insurance policy status onl...21 September 2020
- 5 Health Insurance Plans With Low Waiting Period f...
Coverage for pre-existing conditions comes with a waiting pe...12 April 2019
- Deadliest Diseases in India
India is challenged by some deadliest diseases. Explore a l...27 April 2020
FAQ About Karunya Health Insurance Scheme by Kerala Government
Can I apply for the Karunya Health Insurance Scheme through any offline process to get its application form?
No, there exists no offline process to get the application form. The application form is only available at the portal of the Government of Kerala, i.e., https://karunya.kerala.gov.in, where you can simply download it in PDF format from there to use it further.
Will I get a card after getting registered to this health insurance scheme?
After examining your income details and some eligibility requirements, the Government of Kerala will issue a Karunya health insurance scheme card that you will have to submit at the hospital to avail of medical facilities.
Can I get medical treatment for any pre-existing health condition under this scheme?
Yes, the policy of this health insurance scheme allows the applicants to avail of its benefits if they are suffering from any type of pre-existing disease before applying for the insurance cover.
What kind of diseases are covered under the Karunya Health Insurance Scheme?
There are different types of ailments covered under this scheme such as cancer, haemophilia, kidney disease, heart disease, and so on.
Where can I avail the benefits of this health insurance scheme?
You can avail of the benefits of this health insurance scheme in any government hospital as well as empanelled private hospitals.