Karunya Health Insurance Scheme by Kerala Government
Karunya health insurance scheme provides healthcare assistance to underprivileged people. Basically, treatment coverage is given to people suffering from critical illnesses.
- Tax BenefitUp to 1,50,000**
- Claim SupportEveryday 10AM-7PM
- 45 Lacs+Happy Customers
*Standard Terms and Conditions Apply.
**Tax benefits are subject to changes in Income Tax Act.
Karunya Health Insurance Scheme by Kerala Government
With the medical advancement, the cost of treatment will rise in India which may comprise infrastructure, facilities, hospitalisation, medications, and so on. On this note, the Indian government has introduced various health insurance schemes to provide healthcare assistance to underprivileged people.
Karunya Health Insurance Scheme is a part of such initiatives that was launched by the Kerala Government with the aim to offer quality healthcare to the poverty-stricken segment of the society at a nominal charge of premium. This ambitious health insurance project was launched by the UDF government in 2012 to provide the required benefits to the underprivileged or poor people of society. The Kerala Lottery funds this insurance scheme and the amount is transferred directly to offer a settlement for the network hospitals.
Karunya Health Insurance Scheme in Kerala: Coverage, Eligibility and Features
The sole purpose of this scheme is to provide treatment coverage to people suffering from critical illnesses. Under this scheme, every family must receive a health cover of Rs. 5 lakhs each year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalisation.
Eligibility for Karunya Health Insurance Scheme
The eligibility criteria to enrol in the Karunya health insurance scheme is listed below:
- The beneficiary should be a resident of Kerala.
- Applicants below the line of poverty can only apply for this scheme. All the BPL and APL families with annual income less than Rs. 3 lakhs are eligible for this insurance scheme.
- People applying for this scheme should own their Aadhaar card and income certificate to get enrolled along with some other required documents.
Benefits of Karunya Health Insurance Scheme
The Karunya Health Scheme by the Government of Kerala works in a similar way to that of a critical illness insurance cover. This cover allows people who are suffering from critical chronic illnesses to get treatment benefits. Some of the acute illnesses covered under this insurance cover comprise:
- Palliative Care
- Heart diseases
- Kidney diseases
One gets the treatment for the aforementioned illnesses under this scheme easily as it provides treatment benefits up to Rs. 2 lakh. For specific events of major ailments, the treatment benefit provided under this scheme can be increased maximum to Rs. 3 lakh. The best aspect of this health insurance scheme is that if your medical treatment costs exceed the estimated treatment cost, you will get a reimbursement for that amount.
Features of Karunya Health Insurance Scheme
Listed below are some of the key features of the Karunya Health Insurance Scheme:
- The government has disbursed around Rs.250 crore for this health insurance
- Initially, the treatment benefits under this health scheme were provided only through government healthcare facilities or hospitals, but later on, different private hospitals also got empanelled to give treatment under this cover.
- All the information and details about this health insurance scheme can be checked on its official website, i.e. https://www.karunya.kerala.gov.in. Here you can get all the details about the application and declaration form, claim process, list of network hospitals, and so on.
- You can easily find the details of the list of nominees or beneficiaries on the website. In the menu, you can just click on the ‘list of beneficiaries’ and select your district, hospital, and dates.
- For application tracking, you will have to click on the ‘application tracking’ tab and enter the file number. The current status of your application shall appear after that.
Documents Required To Apply For Karunya Health Insurance Scheme
You can apply for the registration process of the Karunya Health Insurance Scheme by submitting the list of documents given below:
1. Identity Proof: Basic ID proof such as Aadhaar Card, Voter ID, etc, is needed to prove that you are a resident of Kerala.
2. Residential Details: The residential proof should be submitted in its original form.
3. BPL Card: Since this health insurance scheme is aimed to provide treatment for underprivileged people of the society, therefore, applicants have to present enough evidence to validate that. For BPL cardholders, it is compulsory to present the document while the online registration process to avail the benefits of this scheme.
4. Income Certificate: On the basis of your annual income, the Government of Kerala will decide your eligibility for the health insurance scheme. Hence, you need to make sure to keep all the required documents handy that contains your income details while applying for this health insurance scheme.
5. Additional Requirements: In addition to these, a copy of the ration card, passport-size photo, and estimate of the total amount which was spent at the hospital must also be submitted along with your health insurance scheme application form.
Health Insurance Calculator
Whom do you want the insurance for ?
Select the age of all members
Where do you live ?
Choose required Coverage for yourself?
Insurance Dekho Contact Details
Insurance Dekho755 1196 989Mon to Sun 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Health Insurance Companies User Reviews
I recently switched to InsuarnceDekho, and the transition process was incredibly smooth. Their team guided me ...Read More
Whenever I have had questions or needed assistance with my Royal Sundaram Health Insurance Policy, the custome...Read More
One of the best features of the National Health Insurance Policy is its efficient claims processing system. I ...Read More
The Niva Bupa Health Insurance Plan emphasizes preventive care, and its coverage for preventive services is ex...Read More
My purchase of Star Health Insurance Policy from InsuranceDekho was amazing. I bought the plan from their offi...Read More
Why to Buy Health Insurance Policy Online from InsuranceDekho
- Tax benefit upto 75,000*
- Claim support everyday 10AM-7PM
- 50 Lacs+ happy customers
Buy Critical Illness Health Insurance
Variety Of Health Insurance Plans
Health Insurance Terminologies
Learn more about karunya Health Insurance
5 Best Health Insurance Plans in India You Can Buy in 2020Choosing best health insurance policy may save your money during critical medical treatment. From a variety of health insurance plans in the market, choosing the most suitable one for you can be a tiresome task. This article contains details of best healt
Simple Ways To Spend Your Free Time During Corona Virus (COVID-19) LockdownWant to know how to spend time at home during coronavirus lockdown? Here are a few things you can indulge in and utilize your free time in a perfect manner.
Best Health Insurance Companies in Claim SettlementUnderstand the importance of health insurance claim settlement ratio. View list of 10 best health insurance companies with fast claim settlement process.
4 Health Insurance Plans for Pre-existing Disease Coverage in IndiaLooking for health insurance with pre-existing disease coverage? You are at the right place! To uncover your options, continue reading.
Best Dental Insurance Plans You can Buy Online in IndiaPurchasing dental health cover brings along many benefits. Read here to know best plans that offer dental insurance cover in India.
Best Cashless Health Insurance Policies in IndiaBuying cashless health insurance policy is the need of the hour. The article explains 5 best cashless health insurance policies in India. Read here.
Choose Best Health Insurance with OPD Cover TodayWant to save yourself from out-of-pocket medical expenses? Buy health insurance with OPD cover to make the most of your medical investment. To know why and how, read along.
5 Health Insurance Plans With Low Waiting Period for Pre-existing ConditionsCoverage for pre-existing conditions comes with a waiting period. When buying health insurance with PED cover, every individual should look for waiting period to make the ideal choice. To know more, read along.
OPD Expense Coverage: 5 Health Insurance Policies That Cover OPD ExpensesOPD Expense Coverage in Health Insurance Policy: Get to know the key benefits OPD Expense Coverage in health insurance.
Best Senior Citizen Health Insurance Plans in IndiaHealth insurance plans for senior citizens are designed to help seniors during their golden period of life. Read about the 5 best senior citizen health insurance plans here.
Latest Health Insurance Articles
Things You Should Know About World Thyroid Day 202...
Know all details related to World Thyroid Day 202319 May 2023
Importance of Getting Health Insurance That Cover...
With COVID-19 pandemic spread far and wide, and the scenario...02 January 2022
Protect Yourself from Omicron
Omicron is delivering a loud and obvious message that this...01 January 2022
Benefits of Senior Citizens Red Carpet Policy offe...
A health insurance policy is a must for all senior citizens ...04 December 2021
Benefits of Arogya Premier Policy Offered by SBI G...
SBI General Insurance Company offers several health insuranc...27 November 2021
FAQ About Karunya Health Insurance Scheme by Kerala Government
Can I apply for the Karunya Health Insurance Scheme through any offline process to get its application form?
No, there exists no offline process to get the application form. The application form is only available at the portal of the Government of Kerala, i.e., https://karunya.kerala.gov.in, where you can simply download it in PDF format from there to use it further.
Will I get a card after getting registered to this health insurance scheme?
After examining your income details and some eligibility requirements, the Government of Kerala will issue a Karunya health insurance scheme card that you will have to submit at the hospital to avail of medical facilities.
Can I get medical treatment for any pre-existing health condition under this scheme?
Yes, the policy of this health insurance scheme allows the applicants to avail of its benefits if they are suffering from any type of pre-existing disease before applying for the insurance cover.
What kind of diseases are covered under the Karunya Health Insurance Scheme?
There are different types of ailments covered under this scheme such as cancer, haemophilia, kidney disease, heart disease, and so on.
Where can I avail the benefits of this health insurance scheme?
You can avail of the benefits of this health insurance scheme in any government hospital as well as empanelled private hospitals.