Fine for Driving Car Without Car Insurance
- Save upto 75%*Lowest Car Premiums
- 11.5 Lakh+Happy Customers
- Claim Support7 days a week
*TP price for less than 1000cc four-wheeler. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers which are subject to modification. Terms and conditions apply
When it comes to driving a car on the road in India, you must hold a car insurance plan. Although, the third-party insurance plan, which is the basic insurance cover, is compulsory for all the riders to own, according to the Indian Motor Tariff. This insurance plan is designed to safeguard you against the financial liabilities which you may have to pay to a third party for their bodily injuries or property damage in case of an accident with your car.
However, a comprehensive car insurance plan is preferred in comparison to a third-party insurance cover for its extended coverage. The former compensates for the damages or losses either suffered by the third party or by your own vehicle. Despite this fact, due to the increase in accident cases, the government made a third-party insurance policy compulsory to own so that no other person could suffer severe financial losses or damages in case of a collision as a result of the mistake of another driver.
The benefits of car insurance plans make it a crucial element for everyone, which is much more than a legal compulsion. Therefore, adherence to the traffic rules is a basic responsibility of every car rider for which they can opt for a car insurance plan among numerous options available in the market.
Is Driving a Car Without Insurance Illegal?
Yes, it is an illegal as well as punishable offence to drive a car without carrying at least a third-party insurance plan. To own an insurance cover while driving is mandatory for private as well as commercial cars.
What Is the Punishment to Drive Without Insurance?
As per the Indian Motor Tariff, the punishment specified for the first offence of driving a car without an insurance plan is Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months. Whereas, if you get caught for the second time while driving a vehicle without an insurance policy, in such a case, you can be imposed with a charge of Rs. 4,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months.
Is the Same Fine Applicable for Different Vehicles?
Yes, the fine for driving without an insurance plan is the same for different types of vehicles ranging from two-wheelers, four-wheelers as well as commercial vehicles.
Calculate Your Car Insurance Premium Online
Select your car brand
Which city is your car registered in?
When did you buy your car?
How Can I Make the Payment for the Fine?
The first thing you should do after violating a traffic rule is to cooperate with the traffic police. If you get caught driving a car without carrying a car insurance plan, you should pull up your car wherever the officer indicates to stop. If the officer asks you to show the registration certificate of your car as well as your driving license, just show him and you will be allowed to go without any punishment. But, if you do not hold these documents, then the police officer can issue a challan immediately for driving a car without carrying an insurance cover. You can pay the penalty amount of the challan online as well as offline mode.
Online Method to Pay the Fine
- Visit the official website of the State Transport Department
- Look for the section of e-challan payment or payment for a traffic violation. On finding the tab, click it to move further.
- Enter the vehicle number and challan number with other details related to the traffic violation. In addition to this, you will have to enter the captcha code.
- Make payment for the challan amount using a debit or credit card. In addition to this, you can also pay using digital wallets through the payment system.
- You will get a confirmation message of getting a receipt after making the payment.
Offline Method to Pay the Fine
In case you want to make the payment for the challan through an offline payment system, rather than using an online or digital mode of payment, then you must visit the nearest traffic police station. You should contact the concerned officer there to know the pending amount of penalty that you have to make the payment for. Pay the amount and clear all the dues and make yourself free from the charges.
The complete payment of the penalty will allow you to drive your car, either private or commercial, without any kind of restriction in the future. On the other hand, if you fail to make the payment for the challan, then it may result in the increase of the fine that will be imposed on you on getting caught for the next time.
Tips to Drive Your Car Responsibly on the Road
The following are some tips that can help you avoid getting penalised while driving a car:
- Hold hard copies of important documents like the Driving License, Registration Certificate, and Pollution Certificate of your vehicle.
- Store soft copies of all these relevant documents on your mobile phone as well.
- Never miss the timely renewal of your car insurance policy to avoid a penalty.
- Buy an insurance plan for every car you have. A third-party insurance cover is mandatory for every car owner, hence, do acquire a minimum of this insurance policy to avoid any fine.
Car Insurance for Popular Car Models
- *Premium Starting from ₹8,416
- *Premium Starting from ₹12,824
- *Premium Starting from ₹10,425
- *Premium Starting from ₹7,685
- *Premium Starting from ₹10,283
- *Premium Starting from ₹17,242
- *Premium Starting from ₹11,243
- *Premium Starting from ₹13,827
- *Premium Starting from ₹18,931
- *Premium Starting from ₹11,878
- *Premium Starting from ₹92,146
- *Premium Starting from ₹27,981
- *Premium Starting from ₹37,097
- *Premium Starting from ₹12,339
- *Premium Starting from ₹17,429
- *Premium Starting from ₹109,953
- *Premium Starting from ₹52,679
- *Premium Starting from ₹62,782
- *Premium Starting from ₹119,126
- *Premium Starting from ₹128,979
- *Premium Starting from ₹105,087
Car Insurance Add-ons
Car Insurance By Popular Car Manufacturers
Car Insurance Companies Reviews & Ratings
I desired to know about network garages and services available for the customer under the network garages as...Read More
I purchased the Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Policy for my MG Hector car from InsuranceDekho. InsuranceDekho’...Read More
I wanted to know some claim-related information for my HDFC Ergo Car Insurance Policy that I purchased for m...Read More
I wanted to renew my car insurance policy. I visited InsuranceDekho’s website. I renewed my Tata AIG Car Insur...Read More
Thanks to InsuranceDekho for allowing numerous payment options. This gave me the freedom to choose my credit...Read More
Car Insurance News
Which Car Insurance is Best in India: Comprehensiv...
Wondering which car insurance is better third-party or compr...09 May 2023
How to Buy Car Insurance Online?
Car insurance is a mandatory requirement in India. It is qui...08 May 2023
How to Search Vehicle Owner Details by Number Plat...
Read on to understand how to search vehicle owner details by...05 May 2023
Car driving tips for beginners
listed below are some of the car driving tips for beginners.03 May 2023
Traffic Rules and Fines in West Bengal
Read on to understand all about the traffic rules that you n...26 April 2023