Renew Expired Car Insurance Online
- Save upto 75%*Lowest Car Premiums
- 11.5 Lakh+Happy Customers
- Claim Support7 days a week
*TP price for less than 1000cc four-wheeler. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers which are subject to modification. Terms and conditions apply
Renewing car insurance timely is of utmost importance to ensure that things go smooth even amidst any sudden challenges thrown towards you, and the ability to tackle things while avoiding financial crises. Car insurance has a policy period of one year or more, post that the policyholder needs to renew it before the expiry date.
What Happens When Car Insurance Gets Expired?
When your car insurance expires, you will have to face the following consequences:
- Driving a car without at least third party car insurance in India is a criminal offence punishable with a fine of Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months
- The burden to meet financial obligations arising out of any mishap involving your car
- Loss of ‘No claim Bonus’ which can go up to 50% of the own-damage premium.
Renewal of Car Insurance After Expiry Date
It is possible to renew an expired car insurance policy during the break-in period. Break-in period refers to a 90-day grace period starting from the expiry date of the car insurance policy. Break-in car insurance renewal mandatorily requires an inspection of the car by the insurance company. The inspection can be either performed by the policyholder or by a third-party agency hired by the company. The best thing to note is that the NCB remains intact even if you renew your car insurance policy during the break-in period.
How To Renew An Expired Car Insurance Policy?
You can renew your expired car insurance by following the below-given steps:
Step 1: Select and pay for an insurance policy and ideal plan for you based upon the factors like car model, age, and other relevant details.
Step 2: Car inspection is mandatory to get your car insurance renewed during the break-in period. It is of two types i.e self inspection or third party inspection.
Step 3: In case of self inspection, the insurance company provides you with the instructions, whereas in case of a third party inspection, an insurance company representative will inspect, ascertain and review any existing damage to your car, based upon that insurance can be provided or denied.
Step 4: Once the inspection is done, the policy will be issued to you.
Calculate Your Car Insurance
What To Do If You Fail To Renew Your Car Insurance During The Break-in Period?
If the policyholder fails to get their car insurance policy renewed even within the 90-day window, then in such a case, they will lose out on all the accumulated benefits, and their car insurance policy would lapse.
Then in such a case, they are required to start everything from scratch and the Insured declared value will be certain only post the re-inspection of the car. The policy that is bought after the 90 days grace period is treated as an entirely new policy and all the discount and NCB that is collected is bound to expire.
Advantages of Renewing Car Insurance Policy Timely
There are numerous advantages of getting your car insurance renewed on time including the below-highlighted points:
- Your car is insured all the time, with no gaps or break-in period.
- The policyholder gets NCB for every claim-free year.
- An order has been issued mandatory by the law, for a car owner to have a car insurance policy, an expired policy makes the policyholder liable against other legal consequences.
Car Insurance for Popular Car Models
Find Right Car Insurance Quotes by Cars Body Type
- View Maruti Swift Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai i20 Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Altroz Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Baleno Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Tiago Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Wagon R Insurance Quotes
- View Skoda Rapid Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City 4th Generation Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Dzire Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Verna Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Aura Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Punch Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra XUV700 Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Thar Insurance Quotes
- View MG Astor Insurance Quotes
- View Renault Kiger Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Nexon Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Ertiga Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Innova Crysta Insurance Quotes
- View Renault Triber Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti XL6 Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Eeco Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Vellfire Insurance Quotes
Car Insurance Companies Reviews & Ratings
Renew Expired Car Insurance FAQs
How do I check my car insurance policy expiry date?
You can check the expiry date of your car insurance policy via the following ways:
- You can confirm the expiry date of insurance policy through IIB( Insurance Information Bureau).
- You can confirm the expiry date of insurance policy through VAHAN website by Roads and Transport Ministry.
- You can confirm the expiry date of the insurance policy with your insurance provider as they have a record of all the insurance policies.
How do I renew my car insurance after it expires?
If your car insurance lapses, immediately inform your insurance company. You can renew the expired policy during the grace period i.e. 90 days from the expiry date. However, post the expiry of the grace period, you would be required to purchase a new policy.
What happens when my car insurance expires?
In case your car insurance expires, you may need to purchase a new insurance plan. Also, the accumulated benefits of the expired plan like NCB may get lost. Moreover, buying a new policy would lead to a car inspection and a higher premium amount due to loss of NCB.
What happens if I don't renew car insurance after it expires?
If you don’t renew your car insurance after it expires, you may have to face the following consequences:
- You may have to face strict legal action and pay hefty fines if caught driving an uninsured car.
- You will have to bear all the costs at the time of an injury, accident, theft, damage etc.
- Also, other liabilities and consequences due to driving an uninsured car-like financial crisis, a risk to life, damage or loss to your own car or others.
What is the fine if I get caught with an expired car insurance policy in India?
Driving without an active car insurance policy could result in paying a fine of Rs 2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months.
Car Insurance News
- What Happens to Car Insurance Cost as Cars Get Old...
Read this article to take a note of what happens to car insu...27 October 2021
- Ways to Reduce Your Car Insurance Renewal Cost
Car insurance is required to safeguard you financially while...27 October 2021
- Understanding The Anti-Lock Braking System In Cars
Anti-Lock Braking System is a type of braking system that pr...26 October 2021
- Guide to Check Your Car Insurance Policy’s Due Dat...
Read this article to know how to check your car insurance po...26 October 2021
- Documents Required for Raheja QBE Insurance Policy...
Read this article to take note of the documents that are req...25 October 2021
- How To Check HDFC ERGO General Insurance Claim Sta...
Checking HDFC ERGO General Insurance is not that difficult. ...24 September 2021
- Reasons Why You Should Renew Your Car Insurance Po...
Read more to know why you should renew your car insurance po...30 August 2021
- A Guide To Different Types Of Car Insurance Polici...
This article covers the types of policies that are offered i...03 September 2021
- Know The Benefits Of Electric Cars Over Convention...
This article talks about why electric cars are a better alte...14 September 2021
- Myths About Car Insurance Busted
Let’s bust different types of misconceptions people have abo...28 August 2021