Health Insurance Plans for Asthma Patients
Published On Nov 07, 2020
Asthma is a diagnosis in which a person’s airways become narrow, swell up, and may also produce extra mucus, which makes breathing difficult. It also induces coughing and a whistling sound (wheezing) in some cases. In long-term, asthma medications are taken almost daily, which keep asthma under control for the most part.
Health insurance is a must for people suffering from asthma. There are several health insurance plans in the market that reimburse the medical expenses of the insured individual. It reimburses expenses to either the insured individual directly or to their care provider.
Also read here: Necessity of Health Insurance for Asthma Patients
Why Should Asthma Patients Take Health Insurance Plans?
The following are a few reasons why health insurance is a necessity for Asthma patients are listed below:
- Expensive Treatment: The treatment given is asthma is usually cost intensive and the normal inhalers can cost considerably.
- Sedentary Lifestyle and Pollution: The sedentary Life that is very much prevalent these days along with the increasing pollution is having drastic effects on the majority of asthma patients which is deteriorating their condition.
- Urgent Hospitalization: An asthma patient never knows, what allergy or what incident may lead to an asthmatic attack. In such a case, the patient will need sudden hospitalisation to recover.
- Expenses Relating to Tests Required: The tests related to asthma are expensive and every hospitalisation will definitely lead to diagnostic tests.
Factors To Check in Asthma Health Cover
The following list contains the factors to be aware of before the purchase of an insurance policy:
1. The Extent of Coverage: The plan which has the best health coverage for asthma patients should be chosen. The treatment of asthma involves three main expenses- doctor consultation fees, medicines and hospitalization costs. There are condition-specific health insurance policies which offer comprehensive coverage. So, these requirements should be taken into account before selecting an insurance plan, and the chosen one should contain all of these.
2. Renewal Period: The insurance plan for Asthma is usually done for a year and hence have to be renewed every year. Few of the plans are available with lifelong renewability, for which the availability is dependent on the specific patients as different patients have different severity levels of asthma.
3. Check for Exclusions: When purchasing the plan, carefully check the exclusions with extra care so as to ensure all of the patient procedures are to be covered by the insurance plan and that the patient does not incur the costs.
4. Claim Settlement Ratio: One of the essential aspects to be ensured while purchasing an insurance policy is the CSR which gives the percentage of insurance claims settled by an insurer compared to the total number of claims received. The CSR of various insurance providers should be verified and compared, and the best one should then be decided based on the results.
5. Premium Amount: The amount to be paid as premium is directly proportional to your age which means that the sooner the patient buys the policy, the lesser will be the premium amount one would be required to pay. So, this makes it an essential factor to be noted before the purchase of the policy in question.
Health Insurance policies are a must for people suffering from Asthma. Prior to the purchase of the policy, all the aforementioned factors should be duly noted, and then a policy could be purchased. The policy so purchased would be effective and efficient and would meet all the requirements of the patient and would allow them to seek proper treatment and medical opinions from doctors.
You may also like to read: 4 Health Insurance Plans for Pre-existing Disease Coverage in India
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.