Necessity of Health Insurance for Asthma Patients
Published On Apr 15, 2019 5:30 AM By Chinansuka Agarwal
Going through clinical statistics, asthma is the most common lifestyle disease prevalent in India. India has 10% of the world’s asthma patients. Though asthma is thought to be a genetic disease, a recent surge in asthma patients is a matter of concern. This increase is blamed on several factors ranging from allergies to environmental pollution. If you are suffering from asthma or allergies, it is essential that you opt for health insurance. Nowadays health insurance companies are providing plans for this chronic disease. However, is it wise to buy health insurance for asthma patients?
First, let’s understand what asthma is?
Asthma is a chronic disease of the air passages leading to and from the lungs. A person who has asthma has recurrent wheezing and attacks of breathlessness. During an asthma attack, the airways of the patient narrow up and reduce the flow of air into and out of the lungs.
Asthma is either caused due to genetic predisposition or exposure to allergens. There are two types of allergens, indoor allergens and outdoor allergens. Indoor allergens include house mites in bedding, stuffed furniture and carpets; pollution; and pet dander and outdoor allergens are like pollens and molds. Other triggers precipitating asthma attacks include particle pollution, tobacco smoke, chemical irritants, cold air, emotional triggers such as anger or fear, and exercise. Even certain medications like asthma, NSAIDs, and beta blockers are found to trigger asthma.
Asthma is more common among adult women than adult men. It is also commonly diagnosed among children. The patients who have a medical history of asthma are well aware of the expenses involved in the treatment of asthma.
Reasons to buy a health plan for asthma patients:
- Exuberant cost of treatment: Regular visits to doctors, medicine, and inhalers add up to the cost of the asthma treatment. Investing in a health insurance plan does help in reducing these out-of-pocket expenses.
- Change in lifestyle and climatic condition: Ever increasing pollution level and lack of healthy habits hampers one’s health. These are a few of the significant factors instigating asthma.
- Hospitalisation expenses: Asthma attacks can be severe and may even require hospitalisation. Investment in a health insurance plan will help you meet your financial liabilities in such contingencies.
- Diagnostic test expenses: There are various diagnostic tests and imaging studies that need to be performed to measure lung functions and severity of asthma. Investing in an asthma plan enables an individual to focus on recovery rather than worrying about hospital bills.
Things to consider while buying health insurance for asthma patients:
- Extent of coverage: While purchasing health insurance, consider the plan that provides the best health coverage for asthma patients. There are three significant expenses involved in treating asthma, doctor’s charges, medicines, and hospital costs. Consider these expenses and choose the plan that best suits your needs and provides comprehensive coverage.
- Renewal period: Asthma insurance plans are generally renewed on a yearly basis. Depending on the insurer, few plans also come with lifelong renewability.
- Check for exclusions: While you buy a health plan for asthma patient check the exclusions carefully, so you don’t end up paying for the procedures you thought were covered under your policy.
- Claim settlement ratio: Compare the claim settlement ratio (CSR) of various insurance providers and also ask the insurer to provide you with its CSR over the years, so you get an estimate of successful claim settlement.
- Premium amount: The premium amount is directly proportional to your age. Sooner you buy the plan; lesser will be the premium amount you need to pay.
The insurance companies can be very picky about providing coverage to asthma patients. The more accurate information you provide to the insurer, the more likely you are to get a policy. Consider the pointers mentioned above, do thorough research, speak to your medical practitioner and select the plan that is best suited in terms of your need and budget. Some of the plans available in the market that cover asthma are Apollo Munich Easy Health and Aditya Birla Diamond plan. Apart from it, there are various other options available. Feel free to contact us at email@example.com for all your health insurance needs.