Add-ons in Health Insurance
What Are Add-ons in Health Insurance?
Add-on in health insurance is the additional coverage or optional coverage that a policyholder can take over a base policy. Offering benefits over and above the basic health insurance policy, add-on covers play a significant role in providing extra protection at a low additional premium price. A better alternative than buying another health insurance policy for complete coverage, add-on covers help the policyholder customize health insurance according to their own specific needs. A policyholder can strengthen their existing health insurance policy by adding add-on covers to the basic policy at the time of purchasing health insurance. Moreover, add-on covers can also be purchased at the time of renewal by paying an extra premium amount.
Types of Add-on Covers in Health Insurance
The great thing about health insurance add-on covers is that there are many options one can choose from. Specifically designed to meet the varied medical requirements of policyholders, all add-on cover types are beneficial in their own way.
Below mentioned is the list of most common add-on covers in health insurance:
- Critical Illness Cover - Under this add-on cover, the health insurance company provides the policyholder with a lump-sum amount in case of diagnosis of any covered critical illness like cancer, stroke, kidney failure or any other, no matter what the cumulative treatment cost is.
- Personal Accident Cover - Under this add-on, the policyholder gets coverage against accidental damages suffered. This add-on provides compensation in permanent total disablement, permanent partial disablement, temporary total disablement or death due to an accident.
- Room Rent Waiver - Add-on cover of room rent waiver helps in increasing that limit of the hospital room rent or ensuring that no-limit is imposed. By using room rent waiver add-on, policyholders can choose to stay in a better hospital room without losing your savings.
- Hospital Cash Cover - Under this add-on cover, the insured is provided with a daily cash allowance for the time period during which they are hospitalised. The hospitalization time should be more than 24 hours or 1 day to receive the allowance.
- Maternity Cover - Under this add-on cover, the expenses related to pregnancy and childbirth are provided for.
- Global Coverage - Under this add-on cover, treatments taken outside India are covered, even on a cashless basis, if treatment is taken at a network hospital.
- International Second Opinion - This add-on cover benefit provides coverage for expenses incurred on consultation from international medical experts.
- Air Ambulance - The add-on cover of an air ambulance provides for treatment for which the insured may require air ambulance. This add-on cover works well if the treatment is not in the city of the insured.
- OPD Care - The add-on cover of OPD care provides cover for expenses related to OPD consultations, diagnostics and medications. Remember, the policyholder has to apply for a reimbursement claim on availing this add-on benefit.
- Zone Upgrade - This add-on allows the insured to avail additional financial help on the basis of which zone they are seeking treatment in.
- AYUSH Treatment - Under this add-on cover, the insured is provided coverage for expenses incurred on alternative treatment methods (Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy).
- Unlimited Sum Recharge - Under this add-on cover, the entire sum insured is restored and available for future medical expenses. Take note that this automatic recharge feature is applicable once in a policy year.
- Reduction in PED Waiting Period - This add-on cover is beneficial in reducing the waiting period for pre-existing diseases.
Benefits of Buying Add-on Covers in Health Insurance
On buying health insurance add-on covers, you will get:
- The freedom of designing or customizing your policy as per your specific medical requirements.
- Saved from buying another standalone health insurance policy to get the additional benefits that your existing health insurance policy does not provide for.
- Get more health insurance benefits and features covered at a lesser premium price, as compared to a new policy.
- Tax benefits in adherence to Income Tax Act’s Section 80D.
Things to Remember Before Buying Health Insurance Add-on Covers
Before you go ahead with the purchase of health insurance add-on covers, keep in mind that:
- You will have to purchase add-on covers separately.
- Your add-on covers will come with an additional premium price.
- The collective premium for all add-ons that you buy under a single health insurance policy cannot exceed 30% of the original premium amount.
Health Insurance CalculatorHealth insurance premium calculator is an online tool Health insurance premium calculator Health insurance premium calculator is an online tool Health insurance premium calculator Health insurance premium calculator is an online tool Health insurance premium calculator is an online tool Health insurance premium calculator is an online tool that helps a potential heal...Read More
Whom do you want the insurance for ?
Select the age of all members
Where do you live ?
Choose required Coverage for yourself?
Buy Critical Illness Health Insurance
Health Insurance Add On Covers FAQs
It is necessary for every health insurance policy buyer to purchase add-on covers?
No! Purchasing health insurance add-ons is optional and not a compulsion. If your medical needs demand you to purchase add-ons and gain additional benefits, go ahead with the best add-on covers that suit your needs well.
Can I opt for cashless settlement for add-on covers?
Yes, you can avail cashless settlement for add-on covers.
Are top-up plans also add-on covers?
Yes, top-up and super top-up plans are considered as add-on covers as they help you enhance the coverage amount of an existing policy.
What are the factors that one should consider while choosing add-on covers?
If willing to buy add-on covers to enjoy additional benefits over your base plan, make sure you keep your requirements, age, and income in mind.
Is there any add-on cover available for Covid?
Yes, you can buy Covid Care by Care Health Insurance Policy. This add-on cover provides cover for medical expenses incurred on treatment and/or quarantine for Covid-19 provided that the diagnosis is done at a government authorized center.
Health Companies User Reviews
Health Insurance Articles
- Latest Articles
- Popular Articles
- Benefits of Individual Health Insurance Policy
An individual health insurance policy is a policy that cover...27 February 2021
- Importance of Individual Health Insurance Plans
With the rising medical expenses, the access to better medi...27 February 2021
- How To Buy Senior Citizen Health Insurance Plans O...
It is true that health insurance buying a Senior Citizen He...27 February 2021
- Who Should Purchase Senior Citizen Health Insuranc...
Nowadays, companies offer separate health insurance policies...27 February 2021
- Useful Add On Covers To Opt with Senior Citizen He...
The medical situation's uncertainty has pushed many people t...27 February 2021
- Simple Ways To Spend Your Free Time During Corona...
Want to know how to spend time at home during coronavirus lo...26 March 2020
- How to Check Star Health Insurance Policy Status a...
Do you want to check Star Health Insurance policy status onl...21 September 2020
- Best Dental Insurance Plans You can Buy Online in ...
Purchasing dental health cover brings along many benefits. R...29 January 2020
- OPD Expense Coverage: 5 Health Insurance Policies ...
OPD Expense Coverage in Health Insurance Policy: Get to know...29 January 2020
- Government Schemes for the Benefits with Senior Ci...
The government has many schemes to aid the senior citizens o...09 November 2020
*Standard T&C Apply. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers, which are subject to modification .For more details on risk factors, terms and conditions, please read the sales brochure of respective insurers carefully before concluding a sale. Tax benefits are subject to changes in applicable tax laws. Girnar Insurance Brokers Private Limited, (CIN: U66010RJ2016PTC054811, Regd .Off: Girnar 21, Govind Marg, Moti Doongari Road, Dharam Singh Circle, Jaipur, Rajasthan- 302004; Corp. Off: 11th Floor, Tower B, Emaar Digital Greens, Golf Course Extension Road, Sector-61, Gurugram-122102, Haryana. IRDAI License no 588. Direct Broker (Life & General) valid till 19th March 2023. Email - firstname.lastname@example.org ; Helpline number: 7551196989.
You authorise Girnar Insurance Brokers Pvt Ltd (insurancedekho) to contact you through call, SMS, email, WhatsApp or any other mode in future. You hereby override your NDNC registration.