Public Sector Health Insurance Schemes for Senior Citizens
Updated On Nov 25, 2020
For senior citizens, health insurance is a form of long-term savings beyond any shadow of doubts. This brings financial stability and helps in times of need. A senior citizen mediclaim plan enables seniors to pay for health checkups, long-term hospitalisation and emergency medical costs. It is the most reliable and helpful approach during declining years.
In general, when a person (irrespective of gender) turns 60, he or she tends to be more and more dependent on their family. The chances of suffering from diseases and ailments become higher. Medical expenses rise as well. Without an adequate medical cover, the medical expenses for senior citizens become a real burden on the family. That’s why getting a cover for your old age is necessary.
A lot of health insurance options for elderly people with private and government health insurance schemes are available in the market. However, these options turn limited when it comes to a suitable senior citizen health insurance plan. A number of restrictive features are put in the policy for a senior citizen such as:
- The age limit of the plan
- Waiting period
- Pre-existing conditions
- Plan renewal age
- Pre-policy medical check-up
Irrespective of these restrictive features, health insurance plans are beneficial for old aged people if plans are chosen rightly. Let’s explore how the government is helping senior citizens get affordable health insurance and reduce problems of medical expenses.
Government Health Insurance Schemes for Senior Citizens
Being very protective for the elderly, the Government of India has launched several health schemes for the senior citizens. These schemes are people-oriented, providing enough financial help to the elderly during the time of sickness or hospitalisation. There are four public sector general insurance companies that offer health policies for senior people.
- Oriental Insurance Company Ltd.
- The New India Assurance Co Ltd.
- United India Insurance Company
- National Insurance Company Ltd
Health insurance plans provided by Government entities:
1. Varistha Mediclaim Policy
A health insurance plan for senior citizens in India, the Varistha Mediclaim Policy by National Insurance Company makes the life easier and safeguards senior people on the advanced stage of their life. Apart from covering several diseases, pre and post-hospitalisation, inpatient treatment expenses, the policy pays a lump sum amount to insured in case of 8 critical illnesses under its add-on benefits. Any person between 60-80 years old can buy the Varistha Mediclaim Policy.
- Ambulance charges as per the policy document
- Cover for the costs of drugs, medicines, blood, oxygen, medical tests, etc.
- A cumulative bonus of 5% at the time of renewal
- 1 Lakh sum insured for hospitalisation and domiciliary treatment
- 2 Lakh sum insured to cover 8 major critical illnesses
- Coverage for cancer, kidney failure, multiple sclerosis, major organ transplant, stroke etc. even without hospitalization
- A pre-existing cover like Diabetes and Hypertension on an extra premium
HOPE (Health of Privileged Elders)
The Health of Privileged Elders (HOPE) scheme by Oriental Insurance is a comprehensive health insurance plan for elderly people. Specifically framed for Indian citizens above the age of 60, this health insurance plan takes care of medical expenses incurred on room rent, nursing, boarding, ambulance service, blood, OT, etc. It comes with coverage ranging from 1 Lakh to 5 Lakh. Also, an ideal option for super senior citizens above 80 years of age, HOPE policy comes with the lifetime renewal option.
- Cover for 30-60 days pre and post-hospitalisation
- Premium discounts if you choose Voluntary Co-payment
- Coverage for expenses incurred on Ayurveda / Homeopathic / Unani treatment, hospitalisation
- I.C.U. expenses coverage
- Expenses for domiciliary hospitalisation
- Coverage for the expenses incurred on accidental injuries
Senior Citizen Mediclaim Policy
Senior Citizen Mediclaim Policy is provided by New India Assurance Co. Ltd. The policy comes with extensive coverage benefits for senior citizens (60-80 years) such as hospitalisation expenses for any surgery, treatment, or accidental injury. If the policy is renewed without any break, it can extend to cover from 80 years to 90 years. Further, the policy offers Ayurvedic or Homeopathic and Unani treatment; cover for pre-existing diseases after a waiting period.
- Pre and post-hospitalisation for 30-60 days respectively
- Ambulance service charges up to Rs. 1,000
- Expenses incurred on daycare treatment, domiciliary treatment and organ donor
- A family discount of 10% if the cover is chosen for spouse also
- Lifelong renewability of the policy
- Ayurvedic/Homeopathic/Unani Treatment up to 25% of SI
This health insurance plan of United India Insurance is an ideal option for an individual between 61 to 80. Reducing financial burden due to a medical emergency, this policy covers medical expenses incurred during hospitalisation and treatment owing to an injury, accident or sickness. Key coverage benefits include expenses for domiciliary hospitalization, ICU expenses and several specialized treatments such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and dialysis.
- 30-60 days pre and post-hospitalisation expenses
- Coverage for specified day care procedures
- Ayurvedic treatment expenses when if taken in defined hospitals
- ICU charges subject to 2% of the Sum Insured
- Treatment for Hernia, Cataract, Hysterectomy up to 25% of SI
- A quick and easy claim settlement process
Even though many private insurance agencies offer health insurance packages for senior citizens, the government is also dealing with some of the best health insurance schemes for seniors. Besides the above benefits of Government senior citizen plans, a bunch of other benefits such as tax saving are also available under these policies.
For more details, call InsuranceDekho at 1800-120-5698.