Must Know Tips for Protecting Children Against Coronavirus As a Parent
Published On Mar 13, 2020 5:30 AM By Sakshi Aggarwal
Coronavirus continues to spread across the globe. But the good news is that its cases in children are rare.
Even so, most cases have been identified with adults yet it does not specify that children are immune to the disease. This is why parents must be extra cautious of the safety of their children.
So, first things first.
What Is A Novel Coronavirus?
The novel coronavirus is a new strain of coronavirus. Firstly identified in Wuhan, China, the virus has been named COVID-19, a short term for Coronavirus Disease where CO stands for Corona, VI stands for Virus and D stands for Disease.
You May Also Like To Read: Covid-19 Health Insurance Policies
COVID-19 is a new virus that spreads when an infected person transmits the saliva droplets on another person via a cough or sneeze or getting in touch with the contaminated surfaces. The virus particles may stay on an object for several hours but can be killed by simple disinfectants.
What Are The Symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Symptoms of coronavirus can range from mild to severe and may include-
- Shortness of breath
Is coronavirus treatment available? How Can I Protect My Kids From Coronaviruses?
While vaccines and cure are under urgent development for coronavirus treatment, precautions are necessary to follow. In order to save yourself and family against infection, you must follow the below tips for protecting children against the coronavirus.
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Teach your children not to touch their eyes, nose, or mouth, especially without washing hands.
- Keep your kids away from people who have cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Avoid taking children to highly infected areas.
- Teach them to use a tissue when coughing or sneezing and dispose of it in a closed bin.
Clean and disinfect your home with usual cleaning sprays or wipes.
Click to know Health Insurance Policy Cover Coronavirus (COVID-19) Disease
What To Do If My Child Shows Flu-Like Symptoms?
Don’t forget that it is flu season in the northern hemisphere, the symptoms of which are similar to the coronavirus disease. So, seek medical attention in case you face similar symptoms like cough and fever, but do not mix the two.
Keep following good hand hygiene practices like washing hands regularly at frequent intervals and keep a track of vaccinations for your child so that he/she does not develop any other disease.
Seek care early if your child is showing flu-like symptoms. Avoid visiting public places so that others don’t catch the disease.
As far as sending the child to school is concerned, consider calling your medical practitioner for advice and follow the same.
What Else Can Be Done To Prevent COVID-19 Spreading?
After the outbreak, there is a lot of news coverage related to the disease. It is your responsibility to rely on and further circulate only the news which comes from a valid source.
So, instead of panicking during such times where you might be overwhelmed and your children frightened, here are a few steps that you can follow to keep everyone calm.
- Stay Informed and Reassure Your Kids: Parents must note that viruses are not treated with antibiotics so they won’t help in coronavirus. It is important to stay informed and follow the guidance only from authentic sources. Also, assure your children that doctors and researchers are working to find more about the virus in order to keep all safe.
- Remind Them They Are Helpful in Fighting Back: It is a good time to give your children control to give them a sense of responsibility. Teach them how they can help in this situation with their actions like-washing hands regularly, getting enough sleep and using a tissue while coughing or sneezing.
- Keep A Check On Them For Anxiety Related Issues: Children may not be able to express their concerns but you must identify them in order to make the child comfortable. They may get distracted easily and become cranky, or may even face difficulty in sleeping. It is your job to reassure them and help them stick to their normal routine.
- See If They Are Exposed To The Right Media: Not all the information you read or watch on social media, newspapers and television is worthy of your child’s attention. For instance, they may find some images disturbing and get frightened.
Note: As far as pregnant women are concerned, it is under investigation if the disease gets transmitted from mother to child. So, it is better if they follow precautions in order to protect themselves from getting exposed to the virus.
As responsible parents, you are advised to stay calm and follow the guidelines mentioned above. If you are worried about the symptoms, get in touch with your paediatrician as soon as possible. Do not encourage rumours and follow good personal hygiene.
The good news is that the health insurance industry is offering coronavirus specific health insurance. To know about such a policy, call us at our toll-free number 1800-1205-698.
Also, read Coronavirus Symptoms and Precautions in India
Benefits of Health Insurance Policy in India