Exercises to Get Relief From Lower Back Pain
Published On Jan 19, 2021, Updated On Oct 13, 2022
Table of Contents
One of the most common diseases popular among people of all age groups is 'Lower Back Pain.' From the younger generation to the elderly people, everyone complains and looks for remedies to get relief from lower back pain. Some may prefer to have medications while others rely on exercises for lower back pain.
If you want to say goodbye to your lower back pain then exercising regularly can be a great advantage to get relief from the lower back pain.
While movement may be the ideal way to eliminate lower back pain, it is important to learn that only the right kind of exercise can help you do so. Remember, performing the wrong exercises can put too much stress on your back, thus making the problem even worse.
Here are a few exercises that you can start practising to throw lower back pain out of your life:
5 Exercises for Lower Back Pain Relief
Below mentioned 5 exercises, when included in the daily routine can help prevent lower back pain.
This lower back pain exercise will lengthen your lower back as well as relieve tension and pain.
Steps to perform the knee-to-chest stretch exercise:
- Lie on your back. Keep your knees bent. Put your feet flat on the floor.
- Use both your hands to hold your right lower leg. Interlace your fingers.
- Keep your left foot flat on the floor.
- Pull your right knee up to your chest.
- For 30 to 60 seconds, hold the right knee against your chest.
- Release your right knee.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat steps 2 to 7 with your left leg.
- Repeat three times for each leg.
Tension in the lower back can be one of the reasons for back pain. Trunk Rotation exercise will help you relieve stress and strengthen your core muscles.
Steps to perform trunk rotation exercise:
- Lie on your back. Bring your knees up toward your chest like you are sitting on a chair.
- Extend your arms out to the sides completely. Keep your palms face-down on the floor.
- Roll both bent knees over to your right side. All this while, keep your knees together and hands on the floor. Stay in this position for up to 15 to 20 seconds.
- Return to the starting position. Repeat step 3 on your left side. Hold the position for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Repeat 5 to 10 times on each side.
Besides helping you say goodbye to your lower back pain, Wall Sits exercise will also enhance your muscle endurance.
Steps to perform Wall Sits exercise:
- Stand with your back facing the wall. Keep the distance of about 10 to 12 inches.
- Keep leaning into the wall till the time your spine is flat against it.
- Slide down the wall slowly. Do this until your knees are bent slightly. Continue pressing your lower back into the wall.
- Hold the position for a count of 10.
- Carefully slide back up the wall.
- Repeat 8 to 12 times.
Flexion Rotation is the most beneficial exercise that will stretch your lower back and hips and provide instant relief from lower back pain.
Steps to perform Flexion Rotation exercise:
- Lie on your right side. Keep both the legs straight.
- Bend your left leg. Hooking your foot behind your right knee.
- Hold the left knee with your right arm.
- Keep your left hand behind your neck.
- Slowly rotate your upper body backward. While doing so, touch your left shoulder blade to the floor.
- Repeat the rotation stretch 10 times. Keep hold of each stretch for 1 to 3 seconds prior to moving out of the rotation.
- Repeat steps 1 to 6 on your left side.
This lower back pain exercise will reduce the stress that you feel in your lower back. Moreover, it will lose your muscles and make it more flexible. Hence, hamstring stretches will improve your posture and enhance your flexibility.
Steps to perform this Hamstring Stretches exercise:
- Lie on your back with one knee bent.
- Next, place a towel (in long-form) beneath the ball of your foot on the unbent leg.
- Pull back on the towel slowly while straightening your knee.
- Hold the stretch for at least 15-30 seconds.
- For each leg, repeat 5 times.
Now that you know the exercises for lower back pain, you can simply work out at home. However, it is advisable to consult your doctor in the first place to avoid any mishappenings while performing the exercises. Rest, keep yourself active in other ways and ensure that you eat well.