Every Woman Should Have Health Insurance
Published On Nov 02, 2020 5:30 AM By Sakshi Aggarwal
Women are as susceptible to diseases as men, but they tend to pay least attention to their healthcare needs, perhaps due to their priorities in which they often put their families before their own selves. Insurance data indicates women, as primary insured, account for a much lower percentage even in developed countries than men. However, certain factors make it critical for women to consider adequate health insurance more seriously than men.
The National Family Health Survey (NFHS) done by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare reveals that only 20% of the women in the age group of 15-49 are insured under any health insurance. This data is very shocking and it needs to be changed because women are at much higher risks for many illnesses. This fact has been expanded upon further in this article.
Know More: 4 Popular Women Health Insurance Plans of 2020 You can Buy Online
Growing Health Issues Among Women
The article further discusses the prominent issues that have been noticed among women, and they also stand to the reason as to why women should prefer having health insurance:
- Women Are More Susceptible to Mental Illness: The mental illnesses have been on the rise since the last decade. The recent years have also seen the acceptance of these issues in society. The World Health Organisation states with data the women are more susceptible to mental illnesses when compared to men. Since these issues are on the rise, there is an immediate need to have a cover against such a future possibility.
- 50% of Women in the Country are at a Risk of Heart Disease: A study done between 2014-2016 in collaboration with the health ministry found that about 50% women in the country are at an increased risk for cardiac issues. This number was expected to rise in the coming years. Cardiac issues are expensive to treat and it is imperative to have a health cover so that you don't lose your life savings in treatment.
- Maternity Cost: Women also need to consider diseases and conditions specific to them, that need hospitalization and care. Maternity costs have increased steadily in the last decade, and most insurance plans have a wait period for allowing claims related to maternity related hospitalisation. Thus, the earlier a woman enrols in health insurance the better it serves her plans towards raising a family. Fertility related concerns are also more common. Healthcare coverage helps ease some of the financial strain associated with such treatments.
- Cancer Among Women is More Prevalent: Cancer specific to the female anatomy accounts for most deaths due to cancer in women (after lung cancer, which is responsible for most deaths). This is a huge concern, and women need to plan ahead. In addition to health insurance, they should also look at critical care coverage which specifically covers female specific cancer. It would provide them much needed fixed benefit during such times.
- Increased Risk of Osteoporosis: Owing to their genetic construction, women are more susceptible to osteoporosis than men. Hospitalization and other related treatment might be covered under a health insurance plan without which a lot of money, in senior years, can go out of pocket, thus, important for women, to consider health insurance for such needs.
Read here: Why Women Need to Buy an Individual Health Insurance Policy?
Women empowerment can truly happen if women are equally insured as men, in addition to having equal opportunities. Modern working women should be aware of various provisions and ways in which she can avail insurance individually or as part of her family. Many insurance companies are promoting special plans to encourage more enrolment of women in health insurance. Savvy women and men should take advantage of these offerings.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.