Covid Kavach Health Insurance - Features, Exclusions And More
Published On Nov 20, 2020 5:30 AM By Sakshi Aggarwal
The number of coronavirus cases in India is increasing on a daily basis. With no proper vaccine for the deadly virus available as of now, every individual is just looking for ways to secure themselves. Be it by ensuring the proper use of masks or following social distancing guidelines, people all around the world are trying their best to keep themselves protected.
To help people feel more secure, all the general and health insurance companies in India, as per the guidelines of IRDAI, have mandated Covid Kavach, the covid-specific health insurance plan. Let us uncover more about Covid Kavach.
What Is Covid Kavach?
Covid Kavach Policy is an indemnity based health insurance policy. Mandated by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI), Covid Kavach Policy provides coverage for hospitalisation expenses, in case the insured individual is diagnosed with Covid-19. It is a standard health insurance policy that provides access to first-rate medical treatment as well as coverage for all Covid-19 related medical bills.
What Are the Prime Coverage Features of COVID Kavach?
Covid Kavach is full of coverage benefits. The key features of the policy include:
- Available on individual & family floater sum insured basis
- The policy tenure is 105 days, 195 days, and 285 days
- People between the age range of 18 years and 65 years are eligible
- Covers hospitalization or home care treatment expenses for Covid-19
- Covers diagnosis or health-check up expenses for coronavirus only for positive cases
- Covers the costs of personal protective equipment or PPEs, gloves, masks, and other consumables
- Covers charges for a ventilator, ICU, cost of oximeter and oxygen cylinder
- Provides coverage for self, spouse, kids, parents, and parents-in-law
- Sum insured options range between Rs. 50,000 up to Rs. 5 Lakh
- Pre-hospitalization treatment covered for 15 days
- Post-hospitalization treatment covered for 30 days
- The waiting period is of 15 days
- Ayush treatment covered
- Road ambulance covered
- Covers comorbidity
What Covid Kavach Policy Excludes?
Covid Kavach Policy provides coverage for a string of benefits. However, it also excludes a lot of aspects. Some of the key exclusions under the policy are:
- Medical expenses due to daycare procedure or OPD treatment
- Hospitalization for diagnostic and evaluation purposes
- Expenses incurred on dietary supplements without a doctor's prescription
- Expenses related to rehabilitation and cure
- Expenses related to unproven treatment
- Health expenses caused due to war
Who Should Buy Covid Kavach Health Insurance?
Covid Kavach has its features uniform across all general and health insurance companies. However, it is more comprehensive in nature in comparison to existing Covid plans. Covid Kavach is a perfect choice for those individuals and families who are currently not covered under any health insurance plan. In addition, people who are not covered adequately should also look forward to buying this policy and getting themselves secured, at least against the coronavirus.
It is important to understand that if you do not possess a policy at present and buy a regular one, you would have to wait at least 30 days to get covered. If you go ahead and buy the Covid Kavach policy, you would have to wait for 15 days to gain coverage. So, if you are at the risk of being diagnosed with Covid-19, Corona Kavach would immediately come to your rescue.
Let us take one more example to understand the benefit of the Covid Kavach Policy. Assume that you are a diabetes patient. You have tested positive for coronavirus. Now, since you are corona positive, your Corona Kavach will become active. However, if during your hospitalization, if your diabetes starts acting up & requires proper treatment, your Covid Kavach Policy will cover you for that as well, up to the extent of your sum insured.
Do you lack any health insurance policy at the present time? Do you want to ensure financial and medical support, in case your health starts deteriorating due to coronavirus or any other disease in the coming time? Go ahead with the purchase of Corona Kavach Policy. Rest assured, you won't regret your purchase!
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.