A Look At Preventive Health Care
Published On Mar 29, 2019 5:30 AM By Chinansuka Agarwal
In the current scenario, individuals are witnessing a surge in lifestyle diseases. Today, ailments like diabetes, hypertension, lung diseases, cardiac-related ailments and cancer have become more common. The primary reason for the rise in such illnesses has been an inactive way of life, smoking and drinking addictions, pollution, over-populated cities, fatty foods, etc. Henceforth, the need for preventive health care arises to face any health condition.
Preventive Health Care
Preventive healthcare, as the name suggests includes identification and minimization of risk factors of diseases, early disease detection and course of action for improvement of existing illness. An old saying, “Prevention is better than cure.” Preventive health care works similarly. It allows individuals to know about their health conditions well in advance. There are many fatal diseases such as cancer or heart diseases, if not diagnosed within a stipulated time, may lead to dire consequences. Thus, the best way to avoid these situations is to remain aware of the health conditions through regular checkups and preventive methods.
Health insurance provides coverage for hospitalisation expenses and provides a shield against rising healthcare costs. But, when it comes to coverage for preventive treatment such as doctor’s visits and diagnostic tests, these health insurance doesn’t work too well. This is where the role of preventive health care plan comes.
There is a stark difference between health insurance and a preventive health checkup. Health insurance covers the cost of medical care, generally excluding the cost of diagnostic tests and preventive services, whereas preventive health care is solely designed to provide coverage for preventive services and diagnostic tests. As more and more people become aware of prevention rather than treatment, there would surely be a paradigm reduction in the healthcare cost.
Need for Preventive Healthcare
There are many critical illnesses like cancer and heart-related diseases which if not detected early or necessary medication provided can lead to fatal results. The preventive healthcare plans help in early diagnosis of such conditions and thus, the treatment can be provided at an early stage. Also, the preventive care plans offer health checkups taking into consideration the family history. Thus, the probable chances of developing such diseases are detected early, and the individual can take the required precaution. Based on the results of the preventive health checkup, individuals can modify their lifestyle and improve their quality of life.
Types of Preventive Health Care
There is a gamut of preventive healthcare packages offered by varying companies that not only provide a safety net but also help create awareness among people. These include:
- Regular checkup packages: These packages provide regular checkups at specific hospitals, so the policyholder is aware of the current state of health.
- Family packages: These packages offer preventive healthcare services for the entire family. From kids to adults, everybody is covered under the same plan. These packages provide consultations with specialists at top hospitals at affordable rates. There are also customized packages separately for men and women catering to their specific medical needs.
- Packages for children: These customized packages are specially designed for kids up to 13 years of age. The packages offer services like paediatrics, ophthalmology, dental, general checkup, etc.
- Executive packages: Executive or corporate packages offer preventive services to the employees of the organization. The employers choose customized plans for their employees where they offer checkups and consultations at customized rates at various hospitals across India.
- Diabetes packages: These packages offer checkup of vital organs, which can be affected by diabetes. These include heart, liver, brain and kidney.
- Dental packages: These packages offer specialized dental checkups offered by medical institutions.
- Cancer packages: Cancer packages offer cancer screening for early detection of the disease and prevention of the disease by identifying the risks they might face in the future.
- Cardiac packages: These customized plans offer screening procedures, checkups and consultations for cardiac-related ailments. The regular checkups and screening procedures help in identifying the risk of heart-related diseases. The policyholder can undergo a complete cardiac checkup at various hospitals across India. Consultations with the specialists provide corrective measures and lifestyle changes of an individual keeping in view the family history of an individual.
- Fertility packages: These packages offer fertility checkups and tests for assessing the fertility quotient and ovarian function. It also provides consultations with fertility experts and doctors.
You are free to choose the plan that is best suited for your needs. The primary purpose of these packages is to keep individuals aware of their health condition and avoid the risk of fatal health issues. Neglecting a disease may lead to irreversible conditions, and the preventive health care plans help in preventing these situations.
Common Tests Included Under Preventive Health Care Plans
- Blood tests
- Cholesterol levels
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Diabetes tests
- Cancer screening
- Genetic testing
- Pap smear
Few preventive packages offered by the hospitals
- Packages for men
- Packages for women
- Cancer package
- Packages for kids
- Packages for adolescent
- Fertility quotient packages
- Cardiac packages
- Age-specific health packages
Private players offering preventive health checkups
- Indus Health Plus
- Hindustan Wellness
Under section 80D, the policyholder can claim the tax deduction for the preventive health care plan. There is a tax waiver of Rs. 5,000 for expenditure on preventive health checkup in a particular financial year. This deduction can be claimed on an individual basis and is irrespective whether the person has a health insurance or not. This is to be included in the overall deduction of Rs. 25,000 for payment of premium under section 80D.
Apart from the hospitals and private players, various insurers also offer preventive health checkups included in their health plans. These health checkups are provided to the policyholder as an add-on without payment of any extra premium. Preventive health care is undoubtedly going to play a significant role in shaping the future of the Indian health care industry. Not only combating the various ailments, but awareness regarding fatal diseases and avoiding future illnesses is the demand of the hour. Preventive health care is surely a way out and should be acted upon before it becomes too late!