How to Prepare Your Car for a Road Trip?
Published On May 02, 2021 11:00 AM By InsuranceDekho
This checklist will ensure that our road trip is hassle-free and smooth sailing.
Table of Contents
There’s nothing like a long road trip with friends and family. It’s the perfect way to unwind and spend quality time with loved ones. Moreover, there is no hassle of purchasing a ticket and hoping and planning your schedule around it. However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when going on a road trip to keep you safe. With these things in check, you can go for this road trip with a clear and peaceful mind.
Things to Keep in Mind for the Car
Make sure to check the following aspects of the car before leaving for your road trip:
- Important Documents: Ensure that you have all the important documents of your car close at hand either as a soft or hard copy. These include the Registration Certificate, Pollution under Control Certificate, Driver’s Licence and the Insurance Policy Document. Also, ensure that all these documents are valid and not due for expiry while you are on the road.
- Fill Up the Tank: Before starting a road trip it is best to entirely fill your fuel tank from a trusted fuel pump station. It will ensure a smooth trip.
- Plan Your Route and Rest Stops: When planning to leave for a road trip make sure to check the route on the map and the suitable rest stops along the way. It will ensure the driver/s get enough rest and the passengers also have a comfortable journey.
- Tyre Check: Ensure that your car tyres have enough air before leaving for the trip. Moreover, you can fill them with Nitrogen as it provides better grip and fuel mileage to the vehicle.
Things to Carry for the Car on the Road Trip
The following checklist will ensure you carry all the essentials for the road trip:
- Long Rope: This can come in handy in several different situations, such as tying the luggage on top of the car etc.
- Extra Coolant and Engine Oil: In case you are running low on any of these things you can ensure that there is extra with you. It will ensure that your trip is trouble-free.
- Extra Tyre: In case of a puncture, having an extra tyre will ensure that you do not have to wait for a tyre to be sent to your location or tow your car to the nearest garage. It can also be useful to carry an additional tire tube and Stepney.
- Basic Toolkit: Make sure to have the basic toolkits required for your car with you in case of a mishap, so any basic fixes required can easily be made.
In a nutshell, the above-mentioned points are sure to make your car in perfect shape for going on a road trip. When travelling it is also important to make sure that car insurance is in order. In case of a mishap of some sort, the car insurance will provide compensation for the damages. Hence, if you do not have own damage insurance you can purchase the insurance before a road trip as well. When purchasing insurance make sure to do it online. It allows you to compare the different car insurance companies, check their quotes and their network of cashless garages all in a few minutes. You can also renew an existing insurance policy online. Lastly, if you take long road trips frequently make sure to check some of the add-on covers as they may be relevant for you. Some of the ones that can make a difference to you are the roadside assistance cover, the zero depreciation cover, the passenger cover, engine cover and the return to invoice cover.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.