How Car Insurance Policy Cover You Against Natural Calamities?
Published On Oct 08, 2021 10:00 AM By InsuranceDekho
Natural disasters are unpredictable. They not only claim lives but also destroy properties, including cars. Read this article to know how car insurance policies cover you against natural calamities.
Table of Contents
Natural disasters can occur anytime. They cause immense damage to your belongings. Cars are one of the most prized possessions. When natural disasters like earthquakes, floods, storms occur it becomes imperative to make sure that your car is safe. It is advised to take steps beforehand to ensure that your car is insured. If you have an insured car, it will be easier for you to repair it and take care of other damages so that you do not have to pay for the damages out of your pocket.
How Does a Car Insurance Policy Cover You Against Natural Calamities?
A car insurance policy covers any damages or losses caused to your car because of natural calamities like storms, floods, earthquakes, etc. You should have active comprehensive insurance coverage because third-party car insurance does not cover any damages resulting from natural disasters.
All comprehensive insurance policies cover damages due to the occurrence of any natural disasters. And you do not have to pay any additional amount to obtain insurance for car damage. This is not the case with third-party liability insurance cover, even if you take the best insurance. In that case, you have to bear the cost of repairing or replacing your damaged car on your own. Insurance companies will not provide any money or additional help to cover the damages. You need a comprehensive policy if you want your car insurer to cover the damages caused due to the occurrence of natural disasters.
Things to do When Your Car is Damaged In Natural Calamity
In case your car is damaged you need to do the following things-
- Click pictures of your damaged car from all angles.
- Shoot a video of your damaged car.
- Note down the date and time of disaster.
- Collect news articles regarding the occurrence of natural calamities.
- File a car insurance claim with your insurance company.
- Do not move the car from the spot. Let the company inspect the car.
- Do not repair the damages unless your insurer approves them.
How to Raise a Car insurance Claim?
- Call the claim support team.
- Inform them about the car damages caused due to natural disasters.
- The Insurance Company will assign a surveyor to inspect damages.
- Cooperate with the surveyor and provide all details that are required.
- Surveyor will submit the report to the insurance company.
- Once the company approves it, send your car to a garage for repair.
- Your insurance company will verify the documents and will pay your claim amount.
You may also like to read: Everything About Multi-Year Car Insurance Plans
Some insurance companies come with a variety of add-on covers that provide convergence for damages that are not covered under a comprehensive insurance policy.
Take a look at some of the add-on covers-
- Engine protection cover: It indemnifies any damage or loss caused to the engine of your car due to the occurrence of a natural calamity.
- Zero depreciation cover: It protects your car from depreciation and helps you to get an IDV equal to the market value of your car.
- No claim bonus protection: It ensures that your no claim bonus remains untouched even if you raise a car insurance claim.
A comprehensive insurance policy covers car damages caused due to natural calamities. You can enhance the coverage by purchasing relevant add-on covers available with the best car insurance companies. Remember to follow the guidelines stated above when you claim insurance.
How To Claim Car Damages Due To Natural Calamity Under Car Insurance?
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.