Car driving tips for beginners
Published On May 03, 2023 10:00 AM By InsuranceDekho
Car driving tips for beginners
There is no denying that learning to drive a new car requires great skill. Just like learning to do anything requires great patience and skill, the same is the case with learning a new car. There are so many things that you need to consider while learning to drive a car in India. You also need to keep certain things in mind while driving a car on Indian roads. So, here is a guide that talks all about car driving tips for beginners.
Table of Contents
A List of Car Driving Tips for Beginners
Here is a list of some of the car driving tips that every beginner must keep in mind while driving:
- Familiarise yourself with the different aspects of the car: First and foremost, it is very important that you get familiar with the different parts and aspects of the car. For instance, you must be aware of the ABC of the car i.e. the accelerator, brake, and clutch. You should also know about the different buttons and understand their functionality such as you must be aware of how to open the car fuel tank, turn on the headlights, and others. You must also be familiar with the gear and its location.
- Be confident: You must be also very confident while driving the car, especially when you are driving for the first time. It is obvious that you might get nervous while driving the car as it is your first time, however, it is important that you calm down and don’t let fear stop you from driving the car. Moreover, when you drive the car in a panicked state, then that often results in accidents, thus you need to be calm and confident.
- Drive for short and safe distances: As a beginner, it is very important that you begin driving the car in regions that are safe. For instance, you must not straightaway drive on a road that is crowded. You must instead drive in a region that is safe and has lesser people around so that there is no danger to anyone around. Moreover, you must begin riding for shorter distances as that will help in building your confidence. Once you have started driving for short distances and your confidence is built, it becomes easier to gradually increase the distance. So, initially, start with driving for a short distance and a safe region only.
- Drive with an experienced driver: If you are driving a car for the first time, then it is advisable to do so with an experienced driver. This will help in building your morale and moreover, if anything goes wrong, then the experienced driver can provide you with the necessary assistance as and when required.
- Adjust the mirrors and seat according to your need: The rear and front sides of the car mirrors should be adjusted in a way that you get a clear view of the road. As the mirror plays an important role in a safe ride, it is very important that you adjust the mirrors in a way that only 10% of the car is visible and you can clearly have a view of the roadside. You should also adjust the steering wheel and seat accordingly. The seats should be adjusted in a way that you are able to drive the car in a comfortable manner and you are not at all strained during driving.
- Do not forget to wear a seat belt: Whether you are driving a car for the first time or you are a pro at it, you must always ensure to wear a seat belt. On wearing a seat belt while driving the car, safety is ensured and moreover, if there are chances of an accident, then on wearing a seat belt the risk of injuries becomes lesser. It is also important to understand that not wearing a seat belt is punishable and you might have to pay hefty fines for the same.
- Drive with both hands on steering wheels: One of the most essential effective car driving tips for beginners is that you must drive with both your hands on the steering wheels of the car. You can ensure control over the car by keeping your both hands on the steering wheel and avoiding the risks of accidents.
- Do not overspeed: You must never overspeed while driving a car if you are a beginner. If you are driving a car for the first time and that too at a very high speed, then there are high chances of an accident. This is mainly because when you drive a car at high speeds, then it becomes difficult to take control of the car. So, it is best to maintain a moderate speed while driving a car.
- You must avoid using mobile phones while driving: You should always drive the car without any distractions and thus do not use phones during the same. In fact, if you use phone while driving for a purpose other than navigation, then you may be even fined. So, avoid distractions and do not use your phone while driving.
- Carry all the essential documents: Even though you are driving the car for the first time, it is important that you carry all the necessary documents. These documents include driving license, car registration papers, car insurance, and others.
- Use the car signals rightly: You must also make sure to use the car signals in the right manner. With the help of car indicators, you can easily communicate with others on the road. So, whenever you are switching lanes or anything else where you need to communicate with other drivers, then make sure to turn on the car signal.
- Do not tailgate: You must never try to indulge in tailgating and instead try to maintain a safe distance from other vehicles on the road. This will help in reducing the chances of collisions, so you must avoid tailgating.
- Follow all the traffic rules: As a beginner, it is very important that you follow all the traffic rules rightly. The sooner you start adhering to these traffic rules, the better it is for you to drive safely in the coming days. So, never break the traffic signals in order to reduce the chances of road accidents.
Thus, you must adhere to the above-mentioned car driving tips if you are a beginner. You must also keep all the documents like car insurance, driving license, and others while driving a car.