What is AYUSH Coverage in Health Insurance?
Updated On Mar 01, 2021
Table of Contents
The health insurance companies had been directed by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) in 2013 to provide AYUSH cover under their different health insurance plans such as senior citizens' health insurance plans and comprehensive health insurance plans. With the help of this cover, any in-patient treatment expenses of the policyholder associated with Yoga, Naturopathy, Ayurveda, Unani, Homeopathy, and Siddha procedures are reimbursed by the insurance company. This step was considered and applied to see to the popularity amongst Indians for alternative treatment procedures.
What is the Coverage Extended to the Policyholder under AYUSH Benefit?
Highlighted below are the things that are covered by AYUSH:
- A specific percentage of the sum assured is kept by the insurance providers in order to meet the expenditure related to alternative treatments.
- The alternative treatments that are covered under AYUSH include Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy treatments.
- Taking alternative treatments in any government hospital, which is authorized by the Quality Council Of India or National Accreditation Board is eligible for AYUSH.
What are the Benefits of Health Insurance with AYUSH Treatment Cover?
You should look for health insurance with AYUSH treatment cover due to the following reasons:
- The treatment expenses under AYUSH is very less.
- AYUSH treatment is highly effective and beneficial
- This treatment method is considered to be one of the best for the senior citizens or elderly people.
- AYUSH cover is easily available to individuals in various locations across India.
- The patients are allowed to go for an easy shift from traditional medicines to an alternate treatment without having to worry about finances.
- AYUSH treatment helps the patients in tackling various lifestyle problems like drug abuse or any other addictions along with various diseases like diabetes, hypertension etc in an effective way.
- The usage of traditional medicines in AYUSH treatment reduces not just the safety issues but also the side effects that can be commonly observed due to consumption of chemical drugs.
- The policyholder with the AYUSH cover is offered multiple simple treatment options for various chronic illnesses like cardiac ailments, kidney ailments, and others.
- A holistic approach to healthcare is provided through AYUSH cover thus filling any gaps in standard medical services.
Common Exclusions Under AYUSH Cover
Highlighted below are common exclusions under the AYUSH treatment cover:
- Rejuvenation and Preventive treatments that are not prescribed by the doctor or required medically.
- Treatments that are undertaken at healthcare facilities, that are not hospitals.
- Hospitalization cost is only for the purpose of investigation or evaluation.
- Massages, Spa, health rejuvenation procedures or any other such treatments.
- Outpatient medical expenditure, daycare procedures under alternative treatment.
- Getting hospitalized for less than 24 hours.
Things to Remember About AYUSH Treatment
You should remember the following points regarding AYUSH cover before buying any health insurance plan:
- Various health insurance companies lay down some conditions that need to be fulfilled by the policy buyer before AYUSH benefit can be claimed by them. Ensure that you know these conditions in advance prior to investing your money in a health insurance plan.
- At the time of selecting a health insurance cover with the benefit of AYUSH treatment, you may find an extra premium amount related to it.
- Only by purchasing a regular health insurance plan, you can get covered for AYUSH treatment. Therefore, in case, you are looking for a particular plan that offers alternate treatment, it is advisable to look for a basic health insurance policy that offers AYUSH cover.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.