Top-Up Vs Super Top-Up Health Insurance Plans
Updated On Jan 18, 2024
Choosing the right health insurance cover for yourself and your loved ones can be a very confusing task sometimes. There are a plethora of health insurance covers offered by several insurance companies. Though most of the covers offer slightly similar features some of the companies provide exclusive coverage benefits to their policyholders to establish a strong buyer-seller contact and to provide them with quality services above all. The decision to buy health insurance coverage depends on a lot of factors like the applicants’ age, medical history, pre-existing diseases, financial budget, and any other requirements. You look for all these elements before buying a suitable health insurance policy.
Sum assured under a health insurance cover is one of the most important elements to look for. If you compromise the sum assured under the plan, then the quality of treatment is also compromised which can affect your hospitalization experience at the time of an emergency. Therefore, to provide enough sum assured to the customers, the insurer offers top-up and super top-up plans which can be bought as add-on covers and satisfy the need of sum assured for a person.
Table of Contents
Difference Between Top-Up And Super Top-Up Health Insurance Cover
Though both insurance cover serves a similar purpose, they are slightly distinct in their features. Let us look at the differences between the top-up and super top-up health insurance policy:
1. Top-Up Health Insurance Cover
The prominent features of the top-up health insurance plan are as follows:
- It covers the policies that offer additional coverage that is beyond the limit of the existing health insurance coverage.
- It covers the medical expenses incurred from a single illness only.
- Over the base health insurance cover, it provides coverage for only one hospitalization of the policyholder.
- You can choose this health insurance coverage if you are sure that there is no risk of terminal illness and you are not suffering from any chronic disease.
- This cover will help you get extra coverage to protect you against any medical crisis.
2. Super Top-Up Health Insurance Cover
The standard features of super top-up health insurance coverage are as follows:
- This plan covers all the hospitalization expenses above the threshold limit of the existing health insurance policy.
- It covers the medical expenses incurred from single or multiple illnesses.
- Unlike top-up health insurance coverage, it considers all the bills submitted by the policyholder.
- You must choose this plan if you are the risk of getting hospitalized more than once for the treatment of chronic disease.
- The premium amount under this cover sums up to be less than the total hospitalization bill incurred from your treatment.
- This plan will look after all the hospitalization bills submitted by the policyholder for the claim at the time of an emergency.
Considering the above features of both top-up and super top-up health insurance plans, you must make a choice based on your medical history and pre-existing medical conditions. Both the health insurance covers have been designed to make sure that the policyholder does not run out of money at the time of a medical emergency. It makes sure that the coverage of the existing health insurance policy is extended and quality treatment at a private hospital is provided to the customer at an affordable price.
You must carefully read the policy-related documents to check on the inclusions and exclusions of your purchased health insurance coverage as it makes the claim settlement process a lot more quick, smooth, and hassle-free. Make sure that basic inclusions like pre and post-hospitalization, domiciliary expenses, in-patient costs, ambulance charges, cashless treatments, etc are offered by the insurer.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and is meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.