Top Five Health Insurance Riders At a Glance!
Published On Apr 15, 2019 5:30 AM By Sakshi Aggarwal
Riders in health insurance are additional toppings on your pizza. But as extra toppings cost extra, so do riders. One has to pay an extra amount over the regular premium to get extra coverage. Simply put, health insurance riders provide you with an extra benefit at some additional cost.
As health insurance riders are provided to you at an extra cost, it is essential for an individual to figure out if he/she has its requirement or not. If you opt to buy all the riders, the amount of insurance premium will rise much. IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India) has put a limit of 30% on the premium on riders of the basic insurance plan. So, be careful while choosing with the riders.
Here are some of the top health insurance riders-
1. Room rent waiver- Quite a few insurers put a limit on the room rent and include standard rooms or semi-private ones in health insurance plans. With a room rent waiver, you can choose the room as you want with a higher sub-limit or without a sub-limit. You don’t have to pay any extra charges in the event of hospitalization in this case.
2. Personal accident rider- Personal accident rider covers all the possibilities in the aftermath of an accident. This includes accidental death, permanent and temporary disablement. Also, in case the policyholder dies in the accident, his/her family is entitled to twice the amount of the policy.
3. Critical illness cover- This majorly provides cover for the illnesses that are terminal in nature. These include heart attack, organ transplant, tumour, cancer or multiple sclerosis. The insured individual in this rider gets lump sum irrespective of what the total expenditure in the treatment amount to.
Generally, insurers provide critical illness rider for nearly 10-15 ailments. But in comprehensive plans, an insurer can cover up to 38 critical illnesses in comprehensive plans. The same depends on the requirements of the policyholder.
4. Maternity cover- Maternity cover provides coverage against expenses incurred during childbirth but only after the end of the waiting period. The term for waiting period depends on the insurance company and the insurance plan and could be of 24 months or more. Some insurance providers offer coverage to the newborn child until the end of the maturity period.
5. Hospital cash- It provides a daily cash allowance to the person insured which he/she can use in case of hospitalization to meet the medical expenses. Hospital cash can be utilized for a specified number of days. This number will be mentioned in your health insurance policy.
Therefore, health insurance riders do not have the sole purpose of covering medical conditions and hospitalization but also secure the insured for unforeseen circumstances in life ahead. Different riders offer different types of benefits.
Designed for the policyholders with particular medical conditions to benefit in future especially for hospitalization, health insurance riders offer better care and coverage at an affordable premium.
In case you have a pre-existing health condition or even otherwise, then the insurance brokers at insurancedekho.com are here to guide you. They will assist you in the process of buying the best insurance plan along with riders or add-ons at an affordable premium.
So, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Choose a rider wisely to secure your health and wealth!
Need for Riders in Health Insurance