Tips to Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle with Diabetes
Published On Mar 02, 2021
Table of Contents
Diabetes is one of the most common diseases among people on a global level. Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disease, which results in high blood sugar. When a person has diabetes, their body either fails at making enough insulin or fails at effectively utilizing the insulin made, thereby preventing the sugar to move from the blood into cells to be used for energy or simply stored. It must be noted that untreated high blood sugar due to diabetes can cause damage to the eyes, kidneys, nerves, and various other organs.
Every day, numerous people get diagnosed with either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. Life with diabetes may seem restricted, but it is for the good. If you are struggling with diabetes at present, know that rather than worrying about your body and the effects of the disease on your overall health, you can bring about a massive change in your everyday life and take control of your well-being. How? Let’s discuss.
10 Essential Tips For Living Healthy With Diabetes
By following the below mentioned 10 tips, you can easily welcome and maintain a healthy lifestyle with diabetes, even if may seem infeasible:
1. Do Not Stress Much - Physical or mental stress is a big contributor in enhanced blood sugar levels. Diabetics who remain stressed for a long time are prone to experience sugar spikes. Thus, it is important to keep stress levels to the minimum and practice meditation, yoga, exercise, deep breathing and other de-stress techniques.
2. Do Not Skip Breakfast - People suffering from diabetes, especially type 2 can ruin their sugar levels by not eating breakfast. Many make the mistake of not eating breakfast, thinking it would add to the calories. However, the contrary is true. People with type 2 diabetes, who skip breakfast have higher blood sugar levels throughout the day.
3. Eat a Lot of Fruits and Vegetables - Carbohydrates play a big role in impacting blood glucose levels. Diabetes patients are advised to reduce carbohydrate portions, which can help them manage their glucose levels.
4. Change Your Drinks - If you are a diabetic, make sure you limit aerated and sweetened drinks since they are loaded with empty calories. You can go for green tea instead.
5. Reduce Excessive Weight - If you are an overweight diabetic, it would be better for you to lose some weight. To ensure the same, you can go ahead with reducing your overall portion sizes. Remember, losing the extra pounds will help you manage blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels.
6. Add Fibre To Your Diet - Eating food full of fiber works wonders for diabetic patients. Eating fiber rich food such as whole grain and beans gives a feeling of fullness after every meal, thereby helping one reduce the calories they consume. What’s best is that fiber-rich food will also aid indigestion.
7. Eat frequent meals - Eating frequent meals will help you increase your metabolism. Diabetics can notice an increase in their blood sugar levels on overeating as well, so reduced food portions are recommended. Also, keep in mind that you will be able to live happily and healthily on quitting processed and refined foods. Cake and confectionary items are also a big no.
7. Reduce Salt Intake - Diabetes patients are at the risk of developing hypertension and heart disease. Therefore, it is important for them to limit their salt intake.
8. Exercise Daily - It is very important for diabetes patients to be physically active and maintain a healthy weight. The same can be achieved by doing regular exercise so that cells can become more sensitive to insulin, thereby increasing efficiency. Apart from lowering blood sugar, being active can help you reduce blood pressure and cholesterol, ultimately reducing the risk for stroke and heart disease.
9. Sleep 6 to 7 Hours Daily - A diabetic should sleep for at least 6 to 7 hours on a daily basis to allow the body to rest and keep the blood sugar in control. Don't forget, lack of sleep often leads to increased blood sugar levels.
Diabetes patients should also get their blood sugar checked on a regular basis. Keeping a track of the same will help in making more efforts towards the diabetes control goal. To take the best care of your health, do not forget to choose health insurance for diabetes. Undoubtedly, a diabetes cover will support you financially in case of a medical emergency due to the disease.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.