Main Benefits of Ayushman Bharat Yojana
Updated On Nov 02, 2020
In 2018, the Government of India launched Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PM-JAY), now more popular as Ayushman Bharat, which is one of the largest Government funded healthcare initiatives in the world. It provides comprehensive coverage to more than 10 crore Indian families. Let us look at what are the main benefits of Ayushman Bharat.
Main Benefits of Ayushman Bharat Yojana
Following are the key benefits available with Ayushman Bharat Yojana:
- Higher Sum Insured: Healthcare schemes prior to the launch of Ayushman Bharat had lower SI coverage. Most of the schemes like the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) or the various other state sponsored schemes provided coverage between Rs. 30,000 – Rs. 3 lakhs. Ayushman Bharat provides Rs. 5 lakh coverage on a family floater basis at no cost to the insured citizen. This is one of its biggest advantages.
- No Cap on Family Size: Another important limitation that Ayushman Bharat addresses is the partial inclusion of the earlier schemes. There is no cap on the number of family members who are covered, this was earlier subject to a maximum of 5 family members. Also, there is no discrimination on the basis of gender, caste, creed or physical ability of the person which aims to make this scheme totally inclusive.
- Coverage For Pre-Existing Diseases: Pre-existing diseases are covered from the day of enrolment which is a huge advantage for insured citizens.
- No Premium: Ayushman Bharat is an entitled based scheme for the socio-economic bottom layer of the society. Hence, the premium is shared by the Central and State Governments at no cost to the insured beneficiary.
- Cover Hospitalization Expenses: As a secondary and tertiary care cover, Ayushman Bharat covers all aspects of in-patient treatment including pre/post hospitalization, medical consultation, diagnostics, medicine and supplies, accommodation, etc. Out-patient treatment coverage is, however, not covered under this plan.
- Large Number of Treatments Covered: A huge number of treatments and procedures are covered. According to the official release, more than 1,300 treatments are covered at present. This large number of treatment coverage ensures that patients can get treated or a large number of diseases which have unique treatment procedures. there is also a possibility of choice between the old and the cutting edge method.
- Wide Network of Cashless Hospitals: More than 23,000 hospitals, both public and private, have been empanelled under this scheme which makes healthcare accessible to people in the remotest parts in India.
- Pan India Coverage: One of the other benefits of Ayushman Bharat is its coverage throughout India. This makes it convenient for migrant labourers, and people involved in trades that require constant movement, to avail healthcare anywhere in India.
- Covid Cover: Coverage for Covid-19 treatments is also now part of the Ayushman Bharat scheme. With the number of cases hitting more than 7 million in our country, it is quite necessary to provide coverage through a comprehensive healthcare plan to as many citizens as possible.
Ayushman Bharat is an ambitious initiative to provide affordable healthcare to the bottom 40% of the society in our country. In line with the sustainable development goals (SDG s) of the World Health Organization (WHO) for Universal Health Care (UHC), this scheme aims at being truly inclusive. According to the official website, more than 12 crore e-cards have already been issued, and claims worth Rs. 13 thousand crores have been settled so far – both testify effectiveness of this scheme.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.