How to Claim the Diabetes Cover in Health Insurance
Published On Jan 05, 2021 5:30 AM By Sakshi Aggarwal
In a country like India, where the number of diabetic patients is extremely high, even after considering the current stats only a limited number of insurance providers are offering insurance concerning the needs of diabetes patients. Although a lot of insurance companies do offer term insurance for diabetes, still not many insurers are ready to offer a comprehensive health insurance cover for diabetes.
Well, this is due to the fact that even after considering the complications associated with diabetes, there are greater chances that the policyholder might outlive the duration of the health insurance. Therefore, after thoroughly considering the expenses incurred by diabetic patients for the purpose of treatment and medications, insurance companies are unsure regarding offering these patients a comprehensive cover that can handle these expenses.
What Do You Mean by Diabetes Health Insurance?
A health insurance plan covering diabetes offers coverage for treatments and hospitalisation expenses arising because of diabetes. Moreover, diabetes health insurance can also be referred to as a comprehensive health insurance policy that includes a cover for diabetes and for other health complications arising due to it.
Claiming Diabetes Cover in Health Insurance
Claim for diabetes in health insurance can be made by the individual, in case they are suffering from an injury, or worsening of their health due to not being able to manage diabetes reasonably, or failing to diagnose diabetes. There are many easily identifiable symptoms of diabetes like excessive thirst, urinating frequently, weight loss, and blurred vision. You can file a claim for diabetes under health insurance in the following ways:
1. Reimbursement Claim: Inform your insurance provider if you get hospitalized for more than 24 hours. Then, you need to provide information regarding hospital bills and all other necessary documents, to initiate the reimbursement process.
2. Cashless Claims: Select a network hospital from the list provided by your insurance company. Then, at the hospital desk, show your e-health card and request for the cashless claim form. If all the information is relevant, then your claim will be processed.
Reasons Why Diabetes Health Insurance is Important
Highlighted below are a few reasons to buy a diabetes health insurance cover:
1. Expensive: The healthcare expenses of diabetes is generally high because of the regular expenses involved, besides associated health risks and complications. However, health insurance offering diabetes coverage will ensure better management of finances.
2. Critical Illness Risks: The risk of contracting critical illnesses is higher in diabetic patients. Diabetic patients often face diseases such as kidney failures, cardiovascular diseases, etc.
3. Annual Health Check-Ups: Annual health check-ups are significant to make sure that you are fit and in case if there is an existing disease, then to trace it on time for the purpose of recovery. As many illnesses such as diabetes go unnoticed, hence annual check-ups are extremely important.
4. Increasing medical Expenses: There is a rise in medical expenses on a yearly basis, even if you are not prone to diabetes, it is highly significant to get yourself insured with a health insurance plan. A health insurance plan would offer coverage to an insured person against all kinds of diseases and illness, even for a minor consultation such as OPD.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.