How to Choose Health Insurance to Manage Dialysis Costs?
Updated On Nov 21, 2020
Kidneys are one of the vital organs of our body. The prominent function of the kidney is to remove waste and excess fluid from the body. These crucial kidneys can get affected by physical injury, diabetes, or high blood pressure. These disorders cause severe damage to our kidneys. As a result of which kidneys lose the ability to filter waste from the blood. When these wastes are not removed, its toxicity affects our blood severely.
So, to deal with such conditions, Dialysis has opted as the best possible option. Dialysis is the process that replaces the functioning of kidneys; it maintains the balance of our body by removing waste, salt, and extra water. It regulates a safe level of chemicals in our blood, such as sodium and potassium. Dialysis also keeps a check on high blood pressure.
Coverage for Dialysis by Health Insurance
The health insurance plan covers end-stage renal failure and kidney transplants. Dialysis is an expensive treatment. There are plans like the Employer Group Health Plan (EGHP) or Individual coverage plan which provides coverage for Dialysis. These plans cover the expenses of the dialysis machines, medications, laboratory tests, and hospitalization.
There is also a policy called Critical Illness Policy that covers a variety of disorders like Cancer, stroke, paralysis, etc., this policy also gives great coverage to kidney failure.
To avail of such coverage, health insurance companies have certain eligibility criteria like a waiting period, age range, the sum insured, etc.
Important Aspects of Dialysis Health Insurance
Given below are important aspects of dialysis health insurance:
- Waiting Period: The coverage plan for Dialysis includes certain factors that regulate the type of plan that one can opt for. In most companies, the waiting period for the coverage for Dialysis is 90 days, and the survival period should be 20 to 30 days. After this waiting period and survival period, a person having such a deteriorated condition can opt for a health insurance coverage plan.
- Sum Assured: The minimum sum insured for Dialysis stated from Rs 1 lakh. The sum insured can be extended up to Rs 1 crore depending upon the needs of the patient.
- Age Criteria: The age range criteria are one of the most important factors in providing health coverage. For adults, the age ranges from 18 years to 65 years of age while for children, the age range is 5 years to 25 years of age. In the case of a newborn, kidney failure coverage can be availed from day 1 to 20 years of age.
With these requirements fulfilled, one can choose among various health coverage plans for Dialysis.
Benefits of Dialysis Health Insurance Plan
Given below are the benefits of a dialysis health insurance plan:
- Due to the extended age range, Dialysis for adults can be availed easily.
- Kidney failure in children and newborn are also considered under the coverage
- The flexible amount of insured money covers the heavy expenditure of hospitalization
You May Also Like to Read: Importance of Health Insurance for Kidney Failure Treatment in India
Dialysis is a chronic ailment. It requires months or years to maintain the functioning of kidneys. For such heavy expenses, it is better to get health insurance coverage for kidney failure and Dialysis.
You May Also Like to Read: Best Critical Illness Health Insurance Policies Which Cover Dialysis
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.