Exercises to improve digestion
Published On Jan 15, 2021, Updated On Apr 24, 2021
Digestion is a very important function of our human body, that supplies energy from food to various body parts. But most people have trouble digesting food and suffer from many digestive problems like gastritis, ingestion, constipation, etc. These conditions can result in tremendous discomfort all through the day, shifting their concentration from work. For a healthy digestive system, it is important to eat right and follow a healthy lifestyle, and perform some exercises to improve digestion.
Exercises That Can Help to Promote Digestion
Poor digestion can result in many bowel problems and could disrupt the quality of life. Performing certain exercises regularly will improve the process and also help in enhancing overall health. These exercises are as follows:
1. Yoga: Certain yoga poses target the abdomen and can help promote healthy digestion and appropriate metabolism. Yoga poses such as the child pose, pranayama, forward and downward bend poses, triangle pose, bow pose will help relax the abdominal muscles. They also will stretch the gut and prevent problems like acidity and bloating. Yoga also soothes the mind and decreases stress-related digestive disorders like gastritis.
2. Simple Breathing Exercises: Even simple breathing exercises performed in a calm environment can help improve certain digestive problems like bloating and heartburns. To perform this, the person has to sit up straight and take up deep breaths, putting the belly muscles into action. This will aid digestion and decrease stress levels as well.
3. Walking and Cycling: Brisk walking for at least 30 minutes every day will keep the person away from all digestive and metabolic disorders. Walking enhances peristalsis or the contracting function of the intestine and prevents constipation. Cycling also works in easing out digestion, and also helps to reduce the belly fat.
4. Sit-Ups and Crunches:Sit-ups and crunches are the best exercises for healthy digestion. It is good to try different variations of these crunches such as long arm crunch, vertical leg crunch, and even reverse crunch. As this workout focuses on the abdominal muscles, they help in bringing the digestive system on track. They prevent excess gas formation and bloating and can help a great deal in reducing belly fat as well.
Effect of Exercises on Digestion
Performing the above-mentioned exercises will provoke the entire digestive system and will ease out stomach problems. It prevents chronic digestive problems and helps the person lead a healthy life. Other benefits of exercises are as follows:
- It keeps the organs of the digestive system intact
- Helps the abdominal organs to function properly
- Exercising regularly will help in the maximum absorption of nutrients from the food.
- Helps to burn excess fat and improves appetite.
- Helps to get rid of all digestion related problems.
The main cause of many health problems is faulty lifestyle practices and being inactive for a major portion of the day. A sedentary lifestyle can have a serious impact on the digestive organs and can result in many preventable diseases. Regular exercise is the only remedy to overcome these problems and complement the digestive system that works to our benefit.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.