Things to Do If You Lost Your Car Insurance Papers?
Published On Feb 22, 2021 11:00 AM By InsuranceDekho
A car insurance policy provides maximum cover against damage-related costs. If a claim is to be registered, it is important to create an insurance form. If one removes an insurance record, a duplicate car insurance policy may be obtained.
Your car policy is a crucial and legitimate document that specifies the finer aspects of the insurance company's deal with you. Right through the policy period, it is important to keep it safe. It can be very frustrating to lose your car insurance paperwork. However, as the policy paper can be quickly replaced, you do not need to stress much.
Things to Do If You Lost Your Car Insurance Policy
The process of obtaining a duplicate car insurance policy is not a challenging task. In reality, obtaining a duplicate car insurance policy becomes much simpler if you buy car insurance online. Follow the steps below to get a duplicate copy of your car insurance
- Inform the Insurance Company Immediately: The first step to follow when you know that you have misplaced the car insurance document is to promptly notify the insurer. Call the insurer at their toll-free number or send an email to reach them. It will be better if you inform the insurer as quickly as feasible of your car insurance plan's loss. In this way, the insurer can begin the process of providing a duplicate copy of the car insurance policy.
- File a First Information Report (FIR): File an FIR regarding the missing car insurance policy at the local police station after contacting the insurer. Share the received copy of the FIR with the insurer together with a written application. When requesting a duplicate car insurance policy, this process enables you to clarify your position.
- Publish an Advertisement: The next step to follow is to do put an advertisement in the local newspaper about the failure of your car insurance policy. As per the existing regulations, to request the finder to return the car insurance policy, you must put an advertisement in a vernacular as well as an English language newspaper that is distributed within the state wherein you live. Know that from your pocket, you will have to bear the expense of advertisement publishing.
- Apply for Duplicate Car Insurance Policy: You must apply for a duplicate car insurance policy to your insurer after the advertisement has been put in. Remember to include in the application your full name, policy number of the insurance, issue date, form of coverage, etc. Besides, attach the FIR copy with specifics of how you lost the insurance policy for the vehicle.
- Indemnity Bond: Last, to get a duplicate car insurance policy, you should get an indemnity bond. A notary must accept the indemnity bond. Ensure your full name, address, and the signatures of 2 witnesses are included in the statement. The stamp paper fee is paid by you to secure the indemnity bond. Send it to the insurer once the bond is ready, who would then give you the duplicate car insurance plan.
When driving a vehicle, a car insurance policy is a compulsory document. It is important to have a copy of this document with you at all times. Not only is it helpful in the case of any unfortunate incidents, but it also helps prevent penalisation. If you lose your car insurance policy, a duplicate car insurance copy can be obtained easily. If the above steps are followed, within a few days, you will receive the duplicate car insurance policy. However, on these papers, the word "duplicate" will be written specifically.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.