The Complete Winter Car Care Guide: Some Smart Tips and Tricks
Published On Nov 21, 2020 12:00 PM By InsuranceDekho
Have you ever wondered if the cold affects your car adversely? Well, it does and here is what you can do about it.
Most care guides for the car talk about the need for care in the monsoon season. However, the winter season brings with it, a different set of challenges to the health of your car. Though winter is not very extreme in most parts of India, it does not hurt to stay extra careful. Here is a quick guide on how to take care of your car in winter. Click here to read more on routine maintenance.
Simple Tips To Care For Your Car In Winter
The following are easy tips and tricks you can follow to take good care of your car in the cold weather:
- Warm Up Your Car: The simplest and most important tip. Make sure to keep your car running at regular intervals in the cold, especially if it stays parked outdoors. Warming up your car before you move is a good habit in this weather. Though the problems of older cars are rarer now, this is still a good safety measure to take up. In the cold, the engine oil tends to thicken. However, if you heat your car this decreases making sure the natural wear and tear on your engine is lower. Click here to know how to restart your car.
- Battery Health: Extreme heat is not good for car batteries. However, the winter brings with it other challenges. If the battery charge is low, in winter there is a good chance your battery might die out. Batteries have distilled water inside them and it plays a key role in the chemical reaction that is required for it to run. In case this water freezes it can cause irreplaceable damage to the cells. The signs that this has happened is the electrical system not functioning properly, such as start-up problems, lights flickering cabin lights non-functional. In case this happens it is best to have a certified mechanic take a look at it.
- Pressure of Tyres: Molecules of matter usually expand when it's hot and contract when it is cold and this is no different for the air inside the tyre. Hence, tyre pressure in summer increases and winter decreases. Hence, it is best to get your pressure levels checked often. Driving with low tyre pressure can be unsafe and affect your driving. Click here for tyre cover add-on.
- Headlights: Winters also bring with it fog. This is dangerous as it can affect visibility on the road for drivers significantly. In winter, it is crucial to ensure the car lighting system works perfectly. Moreover, if your location has very heavy fog consistently it might be wise to add fog lamps, in case your car does not have one.
- Coolant level: The coolant, a green coloured liquid that we know for keeping our engine cool in the summers. In the winter it acts as an anti-freeze, working round the clock it ensures that the temperature of the engine is regulated, Hence, make sure the coolant levels are checked and if required filled. Click here for consumables cover.
How To File Car Insurance Claim After An Accident?
Significance of Different Car Insurance Add-Ons
In an overview, it can be said that cars require just as much care in winter as it does in monsoon and summer. Following the above-mentioned tips will ensure your car is at optimum driving conditions and you can lower the chances of your car breaking down or needing extensive repair. Click here to know the signs that there’s a fault in your car.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.