Self-Inspection for Car Insurance Renewal
Self-inspection for renewal of car insurance is a feature that requires you to use your mobile to check your car. You are expected to shoot a video of the vehicle and give it to the insurance provider; this feature is often referred to as self-inspection for car insurance. This way, there is no need for the insurance provider to send its representatives to check the vehicle. It saves time and your car insurance can be renewed easily.
It is becoming easier these days to buy and renew car insurance. In this transition, technology has a big role to play. A feature known as self-inspection for the renewal of car insurance is provided by some insurance providers. Using this, the policy can be renewed without a physical inspection, especially, where there’s a break between the expiration of policy and renewal.
How to Perform Self-Inspection for Car Insurance Renewal?
The self-inspection process would vary from one insurer to another; the level of complexity and simplicity will vary. Here's a description of the procedure usually practiced.
- Step 1: Download the App: You need to download the app of the insurer from which the self-inspection will have to be done. For iOS/Android users, this app may/may not be available. Also, make sure the ap is updated
- Step 2: Share the Details: You would be asked for your basic details after you have downloaded the app on your mobile. These details consist of name, car details, number of the policy, etc. Often, a lot of the data from your registered mobile number will be tracked so that you do not have to fill in the details. Therefore, when buying the policy, it is important to enter the same details and mobile number as mentioned.
- Step 3: Video Capture: Then you must capture a 360-degree video of the vehicle until the basics are covered. Ensure all angles are taken, particularly places where there is any damage. Hit ‘send’ once you finish ‘uploading the video’ (you require high-speed Internet for uploading).
Note: The insurer will ask you to carry-out the self-inspection again if it is not perfect, or reject the renewal if the necessities are not met.
Why Self-Inspection Must Be Performed
Here are some of the advantages of choosing self-inspection for the renewal of car insurance.
- Quick: It is easier to perform self-inspection instead of having to wait for the insurance provider to do it. You need not wait for several days until the inspectors come to physically check the car. Alternatively, in a matter of a few hours, you can carry out the inspection yourself and get your car insurance policy renewed
- Easy: Self-inspection is simple. It's as easy as your mobile capturing any footage. You have to make sure that the vehicle is completely captured and the footage is taken in such a manner that the car is visible. Shoot from a camera that has a higher resolution for good video quality.
- Convenience: To conduct self-inspection, you do not require any special gadgets/equipment. Your internet-enabled mobile is more than enough. As per your convenience, you can carry out your self-inspection.
Customarily, the insurer initiates a procedure called ‘break-in’ if you want to car insurance renewal that has expired/lapsed. An inspection by approved surveyors is required to be carried out and the policy is given based on a satisfactory inspection. Self-inspection of your insurance renewal is a feature wherein you could inspect your car using a smartphone. Policyholders can renew the policy with this feature without a physical inspection, which typically takes 2-3 days.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.