Is Personal Accident Cover for Owner-Driver Compulsory?
Every car owner in India is mandatorily required to have a personal accident cover. However, its purchase with a car insurance plan is optional.
Table of Contents
The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has declared that personal accident cover from vehicle insurance policies shall be disclosed.
Reasons to Get Personal Accident Insurance
Every owner-driver must ensure that they have at least basic personal accident coverage. Every day, there are several road accidents. As a result, everyone should have themselves covered in case of an accident. The following are some of the benefits of having a PA cover policy.
If a policyholder dies in an accident, the insurance company will reimburse his family the amount he has insured. In such instances, the nominee would receive the total insurance amount based on the policy's coverage.
A typical PA insurance plan would cover the three sorts of physical disabilities listed below: a) permanent partial disability, b) permanent total disability, and c) temporary total disability.
Personal Accident Plan Cover Exclusions?
Most auto insurance companies will not cover the following events or occurrences under a PA policy:
- Childbirth and pregnancy
- Suicide or self-harm
- Accidents caused by hasty driving or driving while impaired by drink, drugs, or other intoxicants
- Pre-existing injury disabilities
- Suffering from any mental illnesses
- criminal offence
- Participating in dangerous hobbies, sports, or adventures, particularly if untrained
What Should You Consider When Getting PA Coverage?
1. Age -The premium is not prejudiced based on the policyholder's age. This is because uncertainty does not consider ageing. The losses are the same, and all policyholders are in the same situation.
2. Income- A personal accident policy is determined by the policyholder's work and income rather than his or her age. Your PA insurance plan may fluctuate depending on your income.
3. High Risk- Most car insurance companies refuse to provide personal accident coverage to persons who are exposed to high risks, such as those who work in high-risk industries such as air hostess or pilot, or those who participate in high-risk hobbies such as paragliding or bungee jumping.
Advantages of Purchasing Personal Accident Insurance
The following are the advantages of getting own-damage insurance:
- Security And Peace Of Mind
In the event of uncertainty, in which the owner-driver suffers from a disability or dies, there is a major impact on the individual and family's earning capacity. With this style of cover, there is some padding to help the family cope with the changes.
- Minimal Documentation Required
Personal accident insurance, whether obtained in conjunction with automobile insurance or in any other form, can be purchased online. This is the simplest choice because it involves little to no documentation and can be completed at your leisure.
- Simple Claim Process
The claim process for making this type of insurance claim is simple. The full procedure can be completed either offline or online. Furthermore, once the procedure is completed, most insurance companies give compensation in a timely and efficient manner.
To summarise, whatever personal accident policy you intend to get, give it a full read through the many terms and conditions linked with it to avoid falling victim to any hidden or misleading ones. Check to see if you are getting what you are promised before signing the contract. If you have any questions, contact your insurance provider right immediately to acquire the best insurance coverage. It is your responsibility to stay safe and provide for your dependents at home.
For further reading:
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.