Important Car Insurance Details to Consider While Relocating
Updated On Oct 14, 2023
Going to a new location Remember to do these things for your car insurance before you shift:
Having to relocate from your current location could be an exciting experience for you. However, no matter how you feel about the situation, it is sure to be a lot of work and a draining experience overall. There are things to pack and shift and then get used to an entirely new place. Transferring a car or bike across the country can be an added stress to the situations. Hence, when making this change there a number of things you can keep in mind for your car insurance as well.
What Should You Consider About Car Insurance When Relocating?
Here are some things to keep in mind when relocating:
1. Policy Upgrade: Remember that your insurance policy is only valid inside India. Moreover, if you plan to relocate, there may be changes that will be made to your existing car insurance policy. For example, the car insurance premium may become higher depending on where you are moving. In metro cities, the number of cars is much higher and hence, the rate of accidents is also higher. If the city you lived in was a tyre 2 city and now you’re moving to one of the metros your premium will increase.
2. Strengthen Insurance Policy: A standard car insurance can be further fortified using the add-on covers available. When shifting to a new location, make sure to select covers that will be useful to your individual needs. For example, maybe you are shifting to a flood-prone area, make sure to check for an engine cover. Or if you drive with your family regularly maybe you want to ensure their safety with a Passenger Cover. There are several such add-ons available such as the Zero Depreciation Cover, Return To Invoice Cover, Consumables Cover etc. That you can take a look at.
3. New Insurance Provider: If the car insurance expiry date is close to your relocation time consider renewing the policy before it. You may also choose to shift to a new insurance provider, who offers better policies for your new circumstances. With the option of purchasing and renewing car insurance online such changes are no longer as cumbersome as before, it can also be done in minutes with a few clicks. For quotes for car insurance click here. Click here to know more about car insurance companies.
4. NOC From RTO: When you are shifting from one state to another, there are certain changes that you will have to make. One of the most important documents for making this change is the NOC that the Regional Transport Office in your current location will give you. In the new state that you shift to, you will require this document to get your car registered there.
5. Inform Your Insurance Company: When relocating remember to update your new address by informing the insurance company. You can do this over a phone call, email or SMS. Moreover, they will also inform you as to any other procedure you may have to undertake for this relocation.
In an overview, there are some things to remember when relocating. Make sure to inform and update your insurance provider regarding the changes you are making. In a new state, the respective RTO will give you a new registration number, remember that your previous RTO must issue a NOC for this procedure first. New locations may have different requirements, so it may be wise to upgrade and/or strengthen your policy or even look for a new one. Lastly, be cautious to renew your insurance. Forgetting to do so can lead to a number of issues that can add to your list of things to do when shifting. Click here to read similar articles.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.