Hybrid vs Electric Car?
Updated On Oct 16, 2023
Hybrid vs Electric Car?
India's automobile industry is growing fast, with new innovations happening almost every day. Whether regarding the launch of a new vehicle or introducing unique features in the cars, the automobile industry is undergoing immense changes. Now, to fight against the problem of pollution, there are electric cars available that have zero emissions and are thus highly eco-friendly to the environment. On the other hand, there are different types of vehicles that also contribute towards reducing environmental pollution, such as the hybrid car. Many people often get confused about what hybrid and electric cars are. So, in this blog let us walk you through the differences between electric and hybrid cars.
What is a Hybrid Car?
As the name suggests, a hybrid car is one which uses both electricity and fuel to function or generate power. This means that a hybrid car is equipped with both a petrol and an electric engine. A hybrid car falls under the category of Hybrid Electric Vehicles or HEVs and is a great way for increasing fuel efficiency.
Listed below are the benefits of using a Hybrid car:
- As a hybrid car uses both electric and petrol engines, it produces lower emissions. This makes it a safer alternative in terms of eco-friendly concerns.
- A hybrid car is also a fuel-efficient option as it uses both types of engines, an internal combustion engine, and an electric engine.
- One of the most important benefits of a hybrid car is that you need not put the car to a halt to generate power. This is because the power is automatically generated by the electric motor as soon as you apply a brake.
In addition to the above benefits, the major drawback of using a hybrid car is that it is a costlier option as compared to internal combustion engine vehicles.
What is an Electric Car?
Electric cars on the other hand are ones that use an electric engine to generate power. Electric cars fall under the category of Electric vehicles or EVs and have become extremely popular over the past few years. Unlike internal combustion vehicles, electric cars make use of an electric motor or a rechargeable battery. In order to charge the battery of the electric car, they need to be connected to a charging port.
Some of the benefits of electric cars are listed below:
- One of the major benefits of using an electric car is that they produce zero emissions and are thus extremely environmentally friendly. The use of an electric car produces no harmful effects on the environment.
- Electric cars have a higher efficiency as compared to other vehicles as well as produce higher performance. Moreover, as a vehicle car has fewer components, they are comparatively easier to maintain.
However, it is important to remember that electric cars are a costlier option, and while making the purchase, the price should also be taken into consideration.
Hybrid vs Electric Car
Listed below are the differences between hybrid and electric cars that you should know about:
- Battery charging: The battery of the hybrid car is automatically charged and on the other hand, an electric car is charged using an external charging point. In fact, electric cars are equipped with sockets where you can easily charge the battery. On the other hand, the battery of a hybrid car is charged when a brake is applied.
- Emissions: As compared to hybrid cars, an electric car produces less emissions. This also makes electric cars an eco-friendly option. The reason behind this is that electric cars function on batteries, and thus reduce the chances of harmful emissions.
- Cost: The cost of hybrid cars are at par with internal combustion vehicles. However, on the other hand, electric cars are an expensive choice when compared to other vehicles.
- Distance range: Hybrid cars in comparison to electric cars can run for longer distances. The sole reason behind this is that a hybrid car makes use of both electric and petrol engines to generate power. Moreover, hybrid cars also get automatically charged, and thus run for a longer distance. While, with electric cars, the car will stop working as soon as the battery dies.
- Fuel efficiency: The fuel efficiency of hybrid cars is higher as compared to an electric car.
So, depending on your budget as well as your requirements, you can buy either an electric car or a hybrid car.
Thus, we hope that you now know the difference between a hybrid and an electric car. No matter which type of car you buy, an electric car or a hybrid car, you should always make sure to buy a car insurance policy to offer your vehicle much-needed financial protection.
Also read: Does Credit Score Impact Car Insurance?