How to Download Car Insurance Policy Copy Online?
Published On Apr 22, 2021, Updated On Aug 16, 2023
Misplaced your insurance papers? Here is what you need to do to get a duplicate copy.
Navigating the world of car insurance can be complex, but obtaining a copy of your car insurance policy doesn't have to be. In this blog, we'll guide you through the simple steps of duplicate insurance copy pdf download by vehicle number copy online. Whether you're a new policyholder looking to access your documents or an existing one in need of a duplicate copy, we've got you covered with an easy and efficient process.
Steps To Download Car Insurance Policy Copy Online
As opposed to the traditional ways of going to the insurance office, filing an FIR complaint, today, the process has got much simple and quick, thanks to technology. With the online method, it is also possible to download a copy of a car insurance policy in a fast manner, and that too from the comfort of the home.
Steps to download car insurance policy copy online.
- Step 1: Visit the website of your car insurance provider. Select the type of insurance you are dealing with, in this case, car insurance.
- Step 2: Next, depending on the insurance provider, you will either need to log in to your account using your registered mobile number, email address or car insurance policy details. You can view the details and then download the copy. Step 3: Once you log in to the policy document, the policy papers will be available for download. If not you can file a request for a duplicate copy by contacting customer service and they will send you a copy of the document.
Having stated so much about the ways of downloading car insurance copies online, let’s also throw some light on the importance of having a car insurance plan.
Importance Of Having A Car Insurance Plan
The benefits of having car insurance are umpteen. So, enumerated below are some of the key benefits of car insurance:
- Protection Against Uncertainties: With car insurance, you can stay protected from any kind of uncertainties that may occur on the road. Be it accident coverage, third-party insurance, or any relevant coverage, you can get all kinds of protection you need with car insurance.
- Cashless facility at network garages: Insurance companies have tied up with network garages where policyholders can avail cashless claims service . With a network garage in your car insurance plan, you can easily get your car repaired.
- No Claim Bonus: No claim bonus is issued as a reward to customers who have made no claims during the policy tenure. With no-claim bonus, policyholders can get discounts up to 50% on car insurance premiums for making no claim in five consecutive years.
In addition to these, car insurance offers several other benefits. So, always make sure to buy a car insurance policy along with your new car.
Getting a Duplicate Copy of your Car Insurance Policy
Here are several convenient suggestions for obtaining duplicate copies of your insurance documents without excessive difficulty:
Methods to Acquire Duplicate Car Insurance Policy Copies:
Step 1. Reach out to your insurance agent
If you obtained your car insurance through an insurance agent rather than directly from the insurance company, promptly contact the agent when you become aware of the missing documents. Nowadays, many agents retain copies of their client's insurance papers. Inform them about the lost documents and request them to send a PDF copy of the document via email.
Step 2. Correspond with the insurance company
Typically, insurance companies offer email support to address car insurance-related queries or issues. If you've misplaced or forgotten your car insurance number and lack any related details, write to your insurer regarding the loss through their customer support email ID from your registered email address for verification. Be sure to include the following details in your email:
- Registered mobile number
- Registered email address
These individuals will assist the insurer in locating your insurance policy information. They will either dispatch a digital copy of the insurance policy or share the policy details via email.
Step 3. Lodge an application
To secure a duplicate of your car insurance documents, you must submit an application for duplicate policy issuance. While completing the application, input all crucial details accurately, including the policyholder's name, policy number, policy issuance date, and type of coverage. Explain how and under what circumstances the policy papers were lost. If the policy was acquired jointly, file a joint application alongside the other policyholder. This ensures that both policyholders are informed about the incident and consent to applying for a duplicate insurance policy copy.
Step 4. File a police report
Certain insurers require an FIR (First Information Report) copy before issuing duplicate car insurance papers. If this is the case with your insurer, visit the relevant police station in your locality and report the loss of your car insurance documents. Subsequently, submit an application to obtain an FIR copy from the police station. Once you have the FIR copy, present it to your insurance company along with a written application.
Step 5. Publish a public notice
In the event of losing your insurance papers, it is mandatory to publish a notice in a widely circulated local newspaper to notify the loss. Keep in mind that you'll be responsible for covering the entire cost of the advertisement in such instances. While composing the ad, remember these details:
- Mention the insurance policy number
- Policyholder's name
- Name of the insurance company
- Vehicle's registration number
- After the notice is published in the newspaper, provide a copy of the advertisement to the insurance company to receive a duplicate copy.
How to Get Car Insurance Papers Online?
The majority of insurance companies offer an ePortal where customers can carry out various tasks, such as renewing policies or obtaining duplicate copies of their car insurance documents. If your insurer provides this service, access your account using your credentials like customer ID and insurance policy number, then proceed with the National insurance policy download. Here is an outline of the likely steps to follow to understand how to get a car insurance copy online:
- Go to the official website of the company.
- Choose the option to download an electronic copy of your policy.
- Enter your policy number and registered mobile number.
- Receive an OTP (One-Time Password) on your registered mobile number.
- Input the OTP into the portal to verify your identity.
- Provide your registered email ID.
- Receive a copy of your car insurance policy in PDF format to your email.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Car Insurance Offline?
If you prefer to pursue the process of obtaining a duplicate vehicle insurance copy offline, adhere to the steps detailed below.
Step 1. Notify Your Insurance Provider
Upon losing your original vehicle insurance documents, it is crucial to inform your insurer promptly. You can accomplish this by making a call or sending an email, initiating the procedure to request a duplicate car insurance copy.
Step 2. File a First Information Report (FIR)
Subsequently, you need to file an FIR at the nearest police station regarding the loss of your car insurance papers. This report, along with a copy of the FIR and a written application, should be submitted to your insurance provider. These documents collectively authenticate the loss of your insurance documentation.
Step 3. Publish a Public Notice
A vital step involves placing an advertisement in your local newspaper, publicising the loss of your car insurance documents. This procedure is a standard requirement and requires you to cover the costs associated with the advertisement.
Step 4. Submit an Application
To request a duplicate car insurance policy, you must provide a written application to your insurance provider. This application should encompass essential insurance particulars, including your name, policy number, issuance date, coverage type, and details of how you lost the insurance documents.
Step 5. Execute an Indemnity Bond
The final step involves signing an indemnity bond, verified by a notary, to obtain your duplicate car insurance copy. This bond should bear your complete name and carry the signatures of two witnesses. Once you furnish the indemnity bond to your insurer, the process to acquire a duplicate policy will be set in motion.
If you've grasped the procedure for obtaining a duplicate vehicle insurance copy offline, you might want to initiate the process promptly.
How to Find a Car Insurance Policy Number?
Here are six methods to locate your car insurance policy number, outlined as follows:
- Reviewing the policy document: To find your car insurance policy number, you can conveniently inspect the policy document itself.
- Via the insurance provider's website: Access your account on the insurance company's website and input the necessary information to discover your car insurance policy number.
- Through your insurance agent: If you obtained the policy through an insurance agent, you can get in touch with them to retrieve your car insurance policy number.
- Contacting customer support: Reaching out to the insurance company's customer support hotline allows you to retrieve your car insurance policy number.
- Visiting the insurance company's branch: To locate the car insurance policy number, you can visit the nearest branch of the insurance provider. The branch representative may request specific details for verification purposes.
- Insurance Information Bureau (IIB): You also have the option to contact the IIB to obtain your car insurance policy details, including the policy number.
Points to Remember If Your Car Insurance is Lost
Here are some key considerations to bear in mind if you find yourself without your car insurance policy documents:
- All vehicles operating in India must possess valid third-party vehicle insurance. Operating a vehicle without proper third-party liability coverage is against the law. Therefore, if you discover that your insurance papers are lost or stolen, take immediate action and apply for a duplicate copy promptly.
- To ensure the security of your car insurance paperwork, it is advisable to store the documents in a secure location. Additionally, maintaining photocopies of the original insurance documents can prove beneficial. These copies can be presented to legal authorities in case of accidental loss.
- An alternative approach to safeguard your documents is to preserve them digitally. Digital copies of the documents can be stored using apps, allowing you to produce them when necessary.
Apply for a New Car Insurance Policy
If you're having trouble locating your policy documents, lacking information like the policy number or purchase date, and are unable to obtain assistance from your insurance provider, an alternative could be to purchase new auto insurance through online channels.
Thanks to the advancement of modern technologies, acquiring car insurance has become a straightforward and convenient process. You have the option to select either third-party coverage or go for a comprehensive car insurance plan, which offers protection for both you and your vehicle in the event of an unexpected occurrence.
In a nutshell, it can be concluded that accidents may occur at any point in time, thus having car insurance at all times is a must. You should also keep a copy of your car insurance ready at all times so that there is no problem even when you lose the car insurance policy. Moreover, you can always get in touch with us at InsuranceDekho to get quick assistance on your car insurance plan.
- How can I locate my car insurance policy number?
If you've purchased your car insurance online, access your account to retrieve the policy document containing your policy number. However, if you've chosen offline insurance purchasing, you'll need to visit your insurer's nearest branch for this information.
- Is the policy number the same as the group number?
No, a group number is assigned when a company secures insurance for its employees. Conversely, a policy number is unique to you and your specific policy.
- What benefits come with purchasing car insurance online?
Online buying offers paperless transactions and eliminates physical documentation. These advantages expedite application processing and ensure efficient, swift claim settlements.
- Which documents are necessary for a car insurance claim?
The following documents are required for claim settlement:
- Copy of your insurance policy.
- Your driver's licence.
- Completed claim form.
- Vehicle's Registration Certificate.
- Pollution Under Control (PUC) certified.
- Fitness certificate.
- Police report or First Information Report (FIR).
- Original repair invoices and receipts.
- What's the process for initiating a car insurance claim?
Notify your insurer about the incident and the extent of vehicle damage via phone. They will guide you on the subsequent steps.
- Can I renew an expired policy?
Yes, policy renewal is possible after a satisfactory vehicle inspection by your insurance company.
- I've misplaced my insurance policy. Can I obtain a duplicate?
Yes, if your policy is with an online insurance company, log in to your account to view, download, or print a duplicate copy. If obtained offline, visit the nearest insurer branch to acquire a duplicate.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.