How To Apply For Driving License In India?
Want to apply for driving license? Read more to know about how to apply for a driving license in India
Table of Contents
The learner's licence and the permanent licence are the two types of driving licences issued in India. Only a six-month learner's permit is valid. Only after one month has passed since the learner's licence was issued, a person can get a permanent license.
How To Apply For A Driving License In India?
Here are ways in which you can get your license in India:
1. How to Apply for Driving License Online?
Applying for a driving license online is a simple process and involves only a few steps.
- Go to the official Sarathi website of the Road Transport & Highways Ministry. From the column named "Sarathi Services," select "New Driving license."
- You will be redirected to a new web page, which will have all the details about it. Read through the instructions. Download the form and fill all the required information.
You may also like to read:- Can Car Insurance be Purchased Without Driving Licence and Registration Certificate?
2. Process To Fill The Driving License Application Form Online
The process for filling out an online application for a learner's license or driving license is:
- Visit the Sarathi website and download the driving license application form
- Fill in the form as per the instructions provided on the screen and click on 'Submit'
- For minor applicants, the form is to be printed out and Part D is to be filled out and signed by the parent/guardian at the nearest RTO
- Upload the documents to be submitted along with the application form (proof of age, proof of address, learner's license number)
- A Web Application Number will be generated after submission, which can track the status of the application
- Once the application has been processed, a notification will be sent via SMS
3. How To Apply For A DL In RTO Offline In India?
The procedure to apply for a driving license in India is very simple and straightforward. The steps given below will help you understand how to apply for a driving license offline.
- The applicant has to obtain a Form 4 which is the application form for motor vehicle driving license in India. The form can be downloaded from the state transport website. Alternatively, the customer can also visit the nearest RTO to procure Form4.
- Completely fill the application form and submit it with other documents like age proof and address proof at the RTO in the jurisdiction in which you live. Also, schedule a slot for driving license test at the RTO and pay the fee for taking the test
- Be present at your driving license test center on the specified time and date. Once you clear the test, you're driving license will be awarded on the spot or will be sent to your registered address
- Also, if you are taking driving lessons from a driving school, the school will help you apply for a driving license
After completing the form, the applicant can submit it online by clicking on the 'Submit' button at the bottom of the form. After submitting the form, an auto-generated Web Application Number will appear on screen.
Note that your driver's licence is also a valid form of identification approved by the Indian government. The fact that you have this document proves that you are eligible and authorised to drive anywhere in India.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.