Do's and Don’ts of Filing Car Insurance Claims
Published On Jan 28, 2021 10:00 AM By InsuranceDekho
While filing for motor insurance, even a small error on the part of the claimant can result in the claims being denied or delayed. Thus, it is important to file the claims very cautiously to prevent any hassles while claiming for the sum assured.
The ultimate aim of seeking a car insurance policy is to avail financial benefits when the car gets involved in an accident or other mishaps. By intimating the car insurance company about the loss that occurred to the car and by registering the claim, the insured will be able to get the entire sum assured by the insurer. Thus they can enjoy complete peace of mind, as their policy will cover the financial implications of the accident. But there are certain definite Dos and Don’ts with car insurance claims filing to avail benefits without any trouble.
Do’s to Ascertain While Filing the Car Insurance Claim:
The most important step to file a car insurance claim is to ensure that all the required documents such as policy papers, driving license, and Police FIR copy are at hand. Other things to do for a hassle-free claims filing process are as follows:
1. Inform Your Insurance Company
It is important to inform the insurance company soon after the accident to help them process the claims process instantly. They will also take necessary measures to safeguard the insured from legal proceedings. Any unreasonable delay in claim intimation could result in denial or repudiation.
2. File an FIR
Filing an FIR at the nearest police station is the first thing to do in the event of an accident. It is important to submit an FIR copy along with the claim request form to help the company process the claims settlement easily.
3. Be Honest in Disclosing Information
It is not a good idea to hide honest information from the insurance provider as it can lead to claims rejection. Insurance companies will only honor genuine claims.
4. Collect Evidence if Possible
Collecting photographic and video graphic evidence of the accident site, including the damages to the car, injuries sustained by self and the third party comes in handy for hassle-free claims settlement process. It can be beneficial to collect the names and the contact details of the witnesses as well.
Don’ts For Filing Car Insurance Claims
Similarly, there are certain don’ts of filing a car insurance claim and those are as follows:
- Do not move any part of the vehicle from the site of the accident, unless it is of dire necessity.
- File an FIR and follow appropriate protocols as claims are not encouraged for informal settlements.
- Do not drive under the influence of alcohol as the claims will be rejected under this condition.
- Never fill in wrong information in the claims settlement form, as even minor mistakes can make the claims settlement a troublesome process.
- Claims will be rejected if the personal car is used for commercial purposes.
- Claims will be rejected if the driver is involved in rash driving or street racing.
- Never attempt to do any out-of-court settlement.
Benefits of Car Insurance Premium Calculator
How Useful Are Add-On Car Insurance Covers?
Following the defined protocols while filing the claim will help in the easy settlement of the car insurance. If there are any doubts about the settlement process, then it is beneficial to seek legal help. Understand the claims process of the company thoroughly and file the claims accordingly.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.