Authorised and Local Service Centers - Which To Choose?
Published On Nov 17, 2021 10:00 AM By InsuranceDekho
If you have a problem with your car and need it fixed or maintained, which of these two options should you choose: a local garage or an authorised service centre? In this article, you can read about which service centre one should opt for.
Table of Contents
Due to normal wear and tear, automobiles, like other equipment, require routine maintenance and repairs. These repairs, on the other hand, are notoriously expensive and may be a cause of anxiety for any automobile owner. When this happens, you may ask if you should go to your neighbourhood mechanic or an approved vehicle repair shop. The majority of us choose the less expensive choice of a local technician. This, however, is not always the greatest option. Read this article for basic guidance about which service centre one should visit.
Local Garage VS Authorized Service Centre - Which One To Opt For?
Cars and motorcycles are made up of a complex combination of electrical and mechanical components that are subject to wear and tear as well as the impacts of the environment, necessitating routine maintenance to guarantee maximum performance. Furthermore, if they are involved in an accident, they may require repairs or part replacements. In any case, you may be faced with a problem when deciding whether to use a local garage or an authorised service centre for the work.
Pros of Availing Services At Local Garages
- Labour costs: Authorized service centres are more expensive than local garages. They'll keep your spending under control. Regular or routine maintenance services, such as oil changes, filter cleaning, and common part replacement, can be performed at a local garage if the materials used are original, manufacturer-recommended.
- Specialisation is not an issue: Independent workshops that specialise in a premium or single-brand vehicles exist, demonstrating that specialisation is not limited to licenced repair centres. Of course, you should do your homework and double-check that the folks you're dealing with are knowledgeable about what they're doing. While some brands have their own set of standard operating procedures (SOPs), many other aspects of service are standardised.
Cons of Availing Services At Local Garages
- Local garages frequently hire people who are masters of none and jacks of all crafts. As a result, certain faults with your automobile, model, or brand may not be serviced at your neighbourhood garage. They will most likely use the trial-and-error method to solve an issue, which is not the best approach. You can have counterfeit components installed in your automobile under the guise of the genuine article, only to run into further issues down the road.
- In terms of technological pedigree, local garages are typically under-equipped or lag behind authorised repair centres. Updates from manufacturers are often introduced, and your local garage may not be prepared to handle them. There is no service standardisation among local garages. Your car's warranty may be invalidated if you do incorrect maintenance.
Pros of Availing Services At Authorized Service Centres
Experts: Professionals working at authorised service centres have an extensive understanding of various automobiles, makes, and models, as well as their peculiarities. They have a good idea of what has to be done. Because there is no trial and error, the service or repair operation is exact and reliable.
Quality: The contrast in the quality of work between someone who "thinks" they're on the right road and someone who "knows" they are is always noticeable. Consider something as simple as the colour of your car's paint. At a small garage, repainting a piece of the automobile with the same paint can provide varied results, vs the uniform, seamless reproduction at an authorised repair centre.
Warranty: To keep the warranty on a new automobile, it must be taken to an authorised service centre.
Cons of Availing Services At Authorized Service Centres
- You may not be permitted to see your automobile while it is being serviced or repaired. You'll just have to believe them, but it'll be well worth it. In addition, the workload at a good authorised service centre may be heavy, resulting in minor service delays. However, if there is a lot of demand, you can trust them. Also, labour costs are often greater than at local garages, but you may be certain of higher-quality service.
When all of the advantages and disadvantages are considered, it is clear that licenced service facilities are a better alternative than local garages, whether your car needs routine maintenance or extensive repairs. For new automobiles that are still under warranty, service centres are often the only option. Premium vehicles must also be serviced exclusively by authorised mechanics. Make sure your auto insurance coverage is appropriate and current now that you know where to go. Because it will financially reimburse you if your automobile is damaged in an accident, natural disaster, or fire.
You may also like to read:
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.