All About Anti-Theft Device and Its Impact on Car Insurance
Published On Jan 24, 2021 10:00 AM By InsuranceDekho
One of the best ways to prevent the theft of cars is to install an anti-theft device that is approved by the Automobile Research Association of India (ARAI). This device will enhance the security of the vehicle and will lower the insurance premium as well.
The installation of anti-theft devices enhances the security of the vehicle and also lowers the insurance premiums. The incidence of car thefts has dropped considerably in India owing to the installation of anti-theft devices. As there are fewer claims of theft, owing to the installation of such devices, the insurance companies render them great discounts on insurance premiums. The car insurer can generally get a discount of a maximum of Rs. 500 in the insurance premium, if the vehicle is fitted with an anti-theft device. This discount is not available in third-party insurance cover.
About Anti-Theft Devices and Their Impact on Car Insurance
Anti-theft devices are gadgets that help in keeping the car secure. It is a must for those living in theft-prone areas. Most new cars from Toyota, Ford Motors, and Mahindra come fitted with an in-built anti-theft system in their high-end models.
The anti-theft gadgets make use of many technologies to realize their objective, these devices could be mere locks or alarms and there is an excellent relationship between anti-theft devices and car insurance. The anti-theft devices enhance the security of the car, makes it easily traceable, and acts as a theft deterrent., And the insurance companies reward the car owners with discounted insurance premiums, for installing this device in their vehicle.
In India, it is important to install credible anti-theft devices that are certified by the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) to avail discounts on the premium. After fitting the anti-theft device, car owners should inform the company about the security measure either through email or call.
Despite the installation of the anti-theft device, if the vehicle is still stolen, then it will result in a seamless claim settlement by the insurance company.
Types of Anti-Theft Devices in India
There are many different types of anti-theft devices in India for four-wheelers that are approved by the ARAI. These devices are as follows.
- GPS tracking system: These devices help to locate the real-time location of the vehicle.
- Car Alarm: This device will emit an alarm if anyone tries to tamper with the car, alerting people around the car.
- Electronic Immobilizer: Some car keys are fitted with a technology that sends signals to the vehicle to start the engine. Without such signals, the car will not start. These are thus high-end technical tools that help to keep the car safe.
- Kill Switch: This device has a switch that switches off the part of the car engine, making it immobile, until the switch is on. These switches can be kept in a hidden location of the car to prevent access by thieves.
- Mechanical Immobilizers: These devices are not high-tech and are not very expensive. These devices make use of mechanical devices to stop the mobility of the car. Some mechanical immobilizers are gear lock, Tire lock, steering lock, etc.
The anti-theft devices are not very costly and can cost anywhere between Rs. 3,000 (basic alarm device) and Rs. 17,000 (GPS enabled system). But they can be of much help in decreasing the insurance premiums considerably.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.