What Is Insurance for Electric Bikes?
Electric motorcycles, or e-bikes, have grown in popularity in India due to technological advancements and increased environmental concerns. Compared to conventional fuel-powered motorcycles, these bikes are more environmentally friendly and sustainably built because they are mostly powered by electricity.
A particular kind of two-wheeler insurance designed especially for electric bikes is called electric bike insurance. Owing to the distinctive features and parts of e-bikes, like batteries, electric motors, and chargers, this insurance offers coverage tailored to the particular requirements and hazards connected with e-bikes.
Like regular bike insurance, electric bike insurance provides a defence against theft, damage, and legal responsibility to third parties. But it also includes other coverages specific to e-bikes, such as problems with the motor, damage to the battery, etc. Every Indian who owns an e-bike must comprehend the need to purchase electric bike insurance as the market for these vehicles expands.
- Save upto 75%*Lowest Bike Premiums
- 11.5 Lakh+Happy Customers
- Claim Support7 days a week
*TP price for less than 75cc two-wheeler. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers which are subject to modification. Terms and conditions apply
Types of e-bike insurance policies in India
It's critical to understand the various policy options when purchasing electric bike insurance in India. Every kind has a distinct function and provides varying degrees of coverage:
- Third-Party Liability Insurance: Required by law, this policy protects against harm an insured e-bike may cause to another person or their property. It does not provide coverage for injury to the rider or damage to the insured bike.
e-bike Third Party Insurance rates have been mandated by the government based on the cubic capacity of the bike - The lowest rates are as cheap as Rs 1.25 per day
Engine Cubic Capacity (cc) of the e-bike
Third Party E-Bike Insurance Premiums
Upto 3 KW
Rs. 457 / year
Between 3 - 7 KW
Rs. 607 / year
Between 7 - 16 KW
Rs. 1,161 / year
Greater than 16 KW
Rs. 2,383 / year
- Comprehensive insurance: This is a more comprehensive type of coverage that includes coverage for both third-party liability and damage to the covered electric bike. For owners of e-bikes looking for comprehensive protection, it is advantageous. Typically, incidents like vandalism, theft, fire, and natural disasters are covered.
- Own Damage Insurance: Insurance specifically intended to cover losses to the insured e-bike without the involvement of a third party is known as standalone own-damage insurance. For people who currently have third-party insurance and wish to safeguard their own e-bike against possible harm, this coverage can be helpful. This cover is available till first 5 years from the date of purchase of the bike since when you buy a new bike you have to buy a 5 years Third Party policy as mandated by law
What covers or add-ons are available with e-bike insurance?
A basic e-bike insurance policy's protection is enhanced by add-ons, which let policyholders customise their coverage to meet their specific needs. Although the primary policy may provide all-encompassing coverage, add-ons target particular areas of concern:
- Zero depreciation cover: Also referred to as bumper-to-bumper coverage, zero depreciation insurance guarantees that the insurer will not take depreciation into account when determining how much to pay for a claim. This implies that there are no depreciation deductions and you can receive the full claim amount.
- Battery and Electrical Component Cover: Because e-bikes depend on batteries and electrical components, this add-on especially makes sure that these parts are protected from harm or malfunction.
- Roadside Assistance Cover: This coverage provides services like towing, basic repairs, battery jump-starting, and more in the event that your e-bike breaks down in the middle of a ride.
- Return to Invoice: This add-on makes sure you receive the invoice price of your new e-bike, not just the current market worth, in the event that it is stolen or completely destroyed due to an accident.
- Personal Accident Coverage for Pillion Riders: This add-on expands the rider's personal accident coverage to include pillion riders, even though it is already included in the regular policy.
- Engine and Gearbox Protection Cover: Provides targeted defence against water seepage, oil leaks, and other interior component problems for the engine, gearbox, and other vital components.
- Consumables Coverage: This type of insurance pays for replacement costs for items that may be needed following an accident, such as distilled water, engine oil, nuts, bolts, screws, washers, grease, lubricants, clips and AC gas.
The Advantages of Electric Bike Insurance
Getting insurance for your electric bike has several benefits in addition to guaranteeing adherence to regulations:
- Financial Security: E-bikes are equipped with special, frequently expensive parts. Having insurance protects you from having to pay a large amount of money for replacement or repair following unplanned events.
- Coverage against Theft: Due to their growing appeal, e-bikes may become more attractive to thieves. In the event that a bike is stolen, comprehensive insurance coverage offers reimbursement.
- Coverage for Third-Party Liability: Mishaps may result in losses to third parties. Insurance provides protection from the resulting financial obligations.
- Comfort: Having insurance for your e-bike gives you peace of mind, enabling you to enjoy your rides without worrying about unforeseen expenses or damages.
- Protection Against Unexpected Natural Disasters: Full coverage insurance shields your e-bike against harm from unanticipated natural disasters including hurricanes, earthquakes, and floods.
- Assistance in Case of Breakdowns: As an optional service, some insurance companies provide roadside assistance to guarantee support in case of unplanned car problems.
- Increased Resale Value: Over time, you stand to gain from an e-bike that is well-maintained and insured fetching a higher price on the market.
Just as it’s important to choose the right bike, it’s important to pick the appropriate e-bike insurance policy. It is crucial to comprehend the different kinds and advantages of e-bike insurance, especially in light of India's expanding e-bike sector.
What Does an Insurance Policy for E-Bikes Cover?
Policies for e-bike insurance, especially comprehensive ones, are made to provide broad coverage. Insurance companies may differ in the precise details, but generally speaking, the following are covered:
- Third-Party Liability: Protection against any legal responsibility resulting from harm an insured e-bike causes to a third party or their property.
- Own-Damage Coverage: Defence against harm caused by a variety of events, such as crashes, overturning, or accidents, to the insured electric bike.
- Theft: Should your e-bike be unlucky enough to be stolen, the coverage will pay you according to its insured declared value (IDV).
- Natural Disasters: This category includes losses brought on by landslides, earthquakes, floods, storms, and other natural disasters.
- Man-made Disasters: This covers losses brought on by strikes, riots, terrorist attacks, vandalism, and other man-made disturbances.
- Battery Damage: Given the vital role that batteries play in e-bikes, a lot of policies provide coverage for damage to or malfunctions with batteries and other essential electrical parts.
- Personal Accident Coverage: Offers a one-time payment in the event that an accident involving an insured e-bike results in the rider's permanent complete disability or death.
What Does an E-Bike Insurance Policy Exclude?
Even if e-bike insurance offers complete protection, there are some situations and circumstances in which the policy isn't applicable. Several typical exclusions consist of:
- Wear and Tear: The e-bike's normal wear and tear or ageing is not covered.
- Electrical or Mechanical Breakdown: Generally, routine failures or breakdowns that do not stem from an occurrence that qualifies for insurance coverage are not covered.
- Driving While Under the Influence: Damages sustained when operating a bike while under the influence of drugs or alcohol are not covered.
- Driving Without a Valid Licence: The claim can be denied if the rider was not in possession of a valid driver's licence at the time of the collision.
- Contractual Liability: Unless it's an insurance contract, all liability resulting from a contract pertaining to the e-bike is often excluded.
- War or Nuclear Risk: This policy does not cover damages resulting from war, mutiny, or nuclear threats.
- Utilising Bike Beyond Restrictions: The policy will not pay damages if the e-bike is used beyond its restrictions, such as utilising a personal e-bike for business travel.
- Intentional Damage: Claims resulting from deliberate wrongdoing or willful misconduct are not covered.
- Unspecified Add-Ons: The benefits that come with some add-ons won't be applicable if you haven't mentioned them in your policy expressly. In the event that you do not possess a zero depreciation add-on, depreciation will be taken into account while settling claims.
Even though a lot of frequent inclusions and exclusions are covered by this list, it's important to read your policy paperwork carefully. It guarantees that you are aware of exactly what is and is not covered, assisting you in making well-informed choices when purchasing and utilising e-bike insurance.
How Is the Premium for Electric Bike Insurance Calculated?
A number of criteria are taken into account when determining the rate for insurance on electric bikes, including:
- IDV: The insured declared value, or IDV, is the maximum amount that the insurer will guarantee against theft or complete loss. It's basically the e-bike's current market value. Generally speaking, a greater IDV equals a larger premium.
- Type and Model of the E-Bike: The type, model, and variant of the e-bike can affect the premiums. Premiums for high-end models may be greater because of part costs and probable repair costs.
- Age of the E-Bike: Due to depreciation, older e-bikes may have a lower IDV and thus a lower premium.
- Geography: A higher premium may apply to areas that are more likely to experience accidents or thefts. For example, because of greater traffic congestion, premiums in metropolitan locations may be higher than in rural ones.
- Add-Ons Selected: Since each add-on adds extra coverage, the more add-ons selected, the higher the premium.
- Claim History: You may be eligible for a No Claim Bonus (NCB), which can drastically lower your premium if you filed no claims during the prior policy year.
- Type of Coverage: Compared to third-party-only plans, comprehensive policies typically have higher rates due to their broader coverage.
- Power and Capacity of the E-Bike's Battery: The e-bike's power and battery type can affect the premium. High-performance e-bikes may cost a little more.
It is essential to use online premium calculators and compare different e-bike insurance policies in order to get a better idea of the potential cost of your electric bike insurance.
Comprehensive Insurance for E-Bikes
E-bike comprehensive insurance is a comprehensive policy that offers broad coverage, guaranteeing defence against a wide range of possible hazards and threats:
- Coverage Scope: As the name implies, comprehensive insurance provides protection against both third-party liability and harm to the covered e-bike. The complete policy covers you whether the damage is caused by theft, vandalism, natural disasters, or man-made disasters.
- Flexibility to Add-Ons: Choosing comprehensive insurance has several benefits, including the ability to improve the coverage with different add-ons. You can modify the coverage to meet your needs, whether they are for roadside assistance, 0% depreciation, or battery protection.
- Theft Protection: A complete policy makes sure you get paid for your stolen e-bike based on its insured declared value (IDV).
- Personal Accident Coverage: This type of coverage is usually included by default with the policy and offers a lump sum payment in the event that the rider is killed or becomes permanently disabled as a result of an accident involving the insured e-bike.
- Peace of Mind: You can ride your e-bike with more serenity knowing that you're covered against a variety of potential disasters if you have extensive coverage.
Even while comprehensive insurance provides a wide range of coverage, the cost is typically higher than that of basic third-party liability insurance. But many think it to be value for money given the broad protection it offers.
Factors to Consider when Purchasing E-Bike Insurance
It is important to select the appropriate insurance for your e-bike. The following are some things to think about before choosing:
- What You Need Covered: Choose the hazards that you wish to be shielded from. It may be advisable to get comprehensive coverage if you want complete protection. In cases when legal compliance is your primary concern, a third-party policy may be adequate.
- Value of E-Bike: To protect yourself against potentially high repair or replacement costs, it is important to have comprehensive coverage if you possess an expensive e-bike with high-end features.
- Add-Ons: Consider any extra coverage you might require, such as zero depreciation or battery protection, which is particularly important for e-bikes.
- Your budget for the insurance premium should be established. Adequate coverage is crucial, but it should also be within your means and readily affordable.
- Claim Settlement Ratio: Find out how many claims the insurance has settled in relation to how many it has received by checking its claim settlement ratio. A greater ratio indicates favorability.
- Customer Reviews: To gain insight into the insurer's overall dependability, claim processing effectiveness, and service quality, read online customer reviews and feedback.
- Network of Cashless Garages: To ensure a hassle-free and seamless repair process, find out if the insurer has a large network of cashless garages.
- Policy Exclusions: To learn what is and isn't excluded, carefully read the policy statement. This can help avoid miscommunications when making claims.
- Make sure the insurance gives a No Claim Bonus if you haven't filed any claims in the past year. This can lower your rate.
- Simplicity of Purchase and Renewal: Having the option to simply buy, administer, and renew insurance online is a benefit in the current digital era.
Why Is E-Bike Insurance More Expensive?
For a number of reasons, e-bike insurance is typically more expensive than traditional bike insurance.
- Cost of E-Bike Components: Electronic control units, electric motors, and batteries are examples of specialised parts found in electric bikes. These parts are frequently more expensive to replace or repair than parts for conventional bikes.
- Battery Replacement: An e-bike's battery is a crucial part, and replacing one is somewhat expensive. The insurance rate may increase just for this reason.
- Greater Initial Cost: Compared to bikes powered by petrol, e-bikes often have a higher purchase price, which raises the insured declared value (IDV). A larger premium may be the outcome of a higher IDV.
- Restricted Experience: Since e-bikes are still a relatively new product, there isn't much experience with repairs. Due to this scarcity, the cost of repairs may increase, which may raise the insurance rate.
- Electrical Failure Risk: There is a chance that an electric bike will have an electrical malfunction, which can occasionally be difficult and costly to fix.
- Theft Rate: Due to their growing popularity, e-bikes are a prime target for theft, particularly because their parts can command a high price on the black market.
How Can I Lower My E-Bike Insurance Premiums?
Your e-bike insurance can be more reasonably priced and still provide sufficient coverage by lowering the costs. Here are a few successful tactics:
- NCB: You are eligible for a No Claim Bonus (NCB) if you did not file any claims during the preceding year. Over time, this reduction might add up and drastically lower your premium.
- Greater Voluntary Deductible: You can lower your annual premium by choosing a higher voluntary deductible, which entails paying a greater share of the claim sum.
- Installing anti-theft gadgets: Installing gadgets on your e-bike that have been certified by ARAI can reduce the likelihood of theft and result in a premium discount from your insurance.
- Policy Comparison: Research different e-bike insurance plans online before purchasing or renewing your coverage. Rates from other insurers may differ, and you may be able to get a better bargain by comparing e-bike bike insurance plans from InsuranceDekho.
- Insurance Bundling: If you require many types of coverage (such as health and auto insurance), think about combining them under a single provider. Bundled plans are eligible for savings from several businesses.
- Examine Add-Ons: Although they offer additional protection, not all of them may be required for your e-bike. Review and remove pointless add-ons on a regular basis to lower the premium.
- Discounts for Membership: You may be eligible to receive a reduction on your insurance rate if you are a part of specific riding organisations or groups.
- Online Purchase: Because purchasing a policy online involves fewer operating expenses, some insurers provide discounts for such purchases.
- Pay Annually: You should pay your premium on an annual basis rather than on a monthly or weekly basis. This frequently leads to a small discount.
- Good Driving Record: Continue to have a clean driving history. Those without a history of traffic infractions or accidents may qualify for reductions from certain insurance.
Calculate Your Bike Insurance Premium Online
Select your Two wheeler brand
Which city is your Two wheeler registered in?
When did you buy your Two wheeler?
How Do I File an Insurance Claim for an E-Bike?
Knowing the proper method to file a claim in the unfortunate event of an accident, theft, or damage to your e-bike is essential. Here's a detailed how-to:
- Safety comes first: if you are in an accident, make sure that everyone else is safe as well. If needed, relocate to a secure area.
- Alert the Authorities: Report theft, vandalism, or serious accidents by filing a First Information Report (FIR) at the closest police station.
- Collect Evidence: Take detailed pictures of the damage, the scene of the accident, and any damages to third parties. Take down the witnesses' contact information if there are any. This will bolster your assertion.
- Instant Notification: Report the incident to your insurance provider as soon as you can. Most insurance companies have a deadline for reporting incidents, which you must meet.
- Claim Registration: Visit the website or mobile app of your insurer, or get in touch with customer service. Give the information required to register the claim. You will be provided with a claim reference number that you can use in any further correspondence.
- Document Submission: Please send in the necessary paperwork. A copy of the FIR, your insurance policy, your driving licence, pictures, and the e-bike's registration certificate could be included in this.
- Claim Assessment: To determine the full amount of the damages, the insurer will dispatch a surveyor. Based on the terms and circumstances of the policy, they will confirm the information and calculate the claim amount.
- Repair & Settlement: After the evaluation, you can bring your e-bike to a recommended network garage for maintenance. The insurance will pay the garage directly when a cashless claim is made. Reimbursement claims require upfront payment and subsequent reimbursement.
- Claim Closure: The claim will be closed after the authorised and disbursed payment has been received.
How Can I Purchase and Compare Online E-Bike Insurance?
Online insurance purchases for e-bikes are practical and make comparison shopping simple. How to do it is as follows:
- Go to a Reputable Online Insurance Comparison Platform: Visit websites such as Insurance Dekho.
- Give E-Bike Details: Please enter your e-bike's make, model, year of production, and any other pertinent details.
- View Quotes: Using the information you entered, the platform will present several quotes for e-bike insurance from several insurance companies.
- Compare Policies: Consider coverage, add-ons, claim settlement ratio, customer ratings, and other inclusions and exclusions while evaluating the policies in addition to premiums.
- Select Add-ons: To improve protection if you've chosen comprehensive coverage, pick the add-ons you want.
- Read insurance Terms: To ensure you understand the coverage, exclusions, and terms of the insurance, read the policy details before making a decision.
- Go ahead and buy: After selecting a policy, click the "buy" or "purchase" button.
- Complete Specifics: Please supply your personal information, e-bike information, and any other necessary data.
- Pay: Select a payment option, such as UPI, debit or credit card, online banking, or virtual wallets, and finish the purchase.
- Delivery of the Policy: Your registered email address will receive the e-bike insurance policy following a successful payment. A digital copy is also available for download from the website.
How to buy an e-bike insurance policy on Insurance Dekho?
Purchasing insurance coverage for an e-bike from Insurance Dekho is a simple and convenient process. Here's a detailed how-to:
- Check out the website: Go to the Insurance Dekho official website.
- Select E-Bike Insurance: Click the link to choose either two-wheeler or e-bike insurance from the homepage.
- Enter Specifics: Enter the necessary information about your e-bike, including the model, year of purchase, make, and registration number.
- Get quotations: The platform will present you with several insurance quotations from various insurers based on the information you have provided. This enables you to compare and select the one that best suits your needs.
- Choose Add-Ons: If you choose a comprehensive policy, you can choose to add more coverage or add-ons. Select the ones you think are required for improved security.
- Review & Proceed: Make sure everything is accurate by going through every detail. Continue to the payment section after you're pleased.
- Make Payment: Proceed with the transaction by selecting your desired payment option, such as a credit or debit card, net banking, UPI, etc.
- Receive Policy: You will receive an email with your e-bike insurance policy as soon as your payment has been approved. It is also available for direct download from the website.
How Can You Use Insurance Dekho to Renew Your Lapsed E-Bike Policy?
It's critical to renew your e-bike insurance as soon as possible if it has expired. Using Insurance Dekho, you can renew your lapsed policy in the following ways:
- Log on to the Portal: Go to Insurance Dekho.com and choose the option for two-wheeler insurance.
- Add Policy Information: Give information about your expired coverage, including the policy number, specifics about the e-bike, and personal data.
- Inspection Requirement: In the event that your insurance has been inactive for a long time, it may be required to conduct an inspection. Use the site to arrange an inspection if necessary. A designated agent will come by to evaluate the state of your e-bike.
- Obtain Renewal Quotes: The portal will display renewal quotes from various insurers following the inspection. To locate the greatest offer, compare these.
- Choose Add-Ons: Choose any additional covers or add-ons that you think will improve your coverage.
- Proceed to Payment: Select your final option and then proceed to the payment portal.
- Final Payment: Make the remaining payment using the method of your choice for the renewal.
- Policy Confirmation: You will receive an email with the updated e-bike insurance policy as soon as your payment is approved. You may download it through the web as well.
Bike Insurance for Popular Bike Models
Two Wheeler Insurance Add-ons
Bike Insurance By Popular Bike Manufacturers
Explore Two Wheeler Insurance
Bike Insurance Companies Reviews & Ratings
Electric Bike Insurance
What is insurance for electric bikes?Financial protection for electric bikes against theft, damage, and liabilities resulting from unanticipated events is provided by electric bike insurance. It can cover own damages, third-party liabilities, or both, depending on the policy selected.
Why does the cost of e-bike insurance exceed that of standard bike insurance?Since e-bike parts are expensive, batteries need to be replaced, there is a shortage of repair knowledge, and electric bikes are generally more valuable than traditional cycles, e-bike insurance is typically more expensive.
Do I need a different insurance coverage for the battery on my e-bike?The majority of all-inclusive e-bike insurance plans include battery coverage. To make sure the battery is covered by your policy, it's best to review the terms or speak with your insurer.
Can I apply my No Claim Bonus (NCB) from my previous bike to my new e-bike?Indeed, NCB is linked to the policyholder rather than the car. When buying a new e-bike and selling your old one, you can apply the accrued NCB towards the insurance of the new bike.
Which kinds of e-bike insurance are offered in India?There are basically two types: Comprehensive Insurance (which covers both own losses and third-party liabilities) and Third-Party Liability Insurance (which is required by Indian law).
Bike Insurance News
Check out our list of top models, including prices, features...27 October 2023
Know the key differences between spoke wheels and alloy whee...27 October 2023
Know the RTO rules, guidelines, benefits and highlights for ...27 October 2023
Explore the cheapest and most affordable third-party two-whe...25 October 2023
Looking for the best low maintenance bikes in India in 2023?...25 October 2023