Important to Opt for Super Top-up Health Insurance
Updated On Nov 28, 2020
What is a Super Top-up Health Insurance Plan?
A top-up plan is upgraded financial support that one can avail of. It increases the coverage of insurance above your basic plan. This also provides an increase in insured sum but with low costs. Basic plans cannot suffice many medical emergencies as the sum insured in the basic plan is of maximum R5 lakh to Rs 10 lakhs. To avail more sum for your medical expenses, you can take up the super top-up plan which would cover the whole expenditure of hospitalization and other medical expenses. A super top-up plan can cover the total expense that is above the deductible amount.
How do These Plans Work?
A super top-up plan can be used when one reaches the maximum limit of their basic plan. The policyholder has to choose a deductible amount at the time of making a super top-up plan. Once the expenditure surpasses the deductible amount, the super top-up plan starts covering the expenses henceforth. You can also avail of the coverage through a super top-up plan in subsequent claims. In later emergencies, as the deductible amount has been claimed, the super top-up plan becomes active. If the policyholder wants to have subsequent coverages, then they have to choose any one plan (either basic or super top-up). The holder can also choose both the plans if a single plan does not cover the expenditure. In that case, the deductible amount would be covered by the basic plan, and the higher expenses get covered by the super top-up plan.
Importance of Super Top-Up Health Insurance
A super top-up plays as an extra hand to a basic health insurance plan. Sudden medical emergencies cannot be estimated and result in skyrocketing expenditure. The most effective way to handle such a crisis is having a super top-up plan as a backup. Here are some of the benefits of a super top-up plan.
- It starts when the total expenditure exceeds the deductible amount set by the policyholder. This means the policyholder only has to pay the deductible amount by themself or can choose a basic health insurance plan. After that, the super top-up plan would cover all the expenses.
- This plan can cover medical expenses ranging from Rs 30 Lakhs to Rs 1 crore depending upon the company.
- A super top-up plan has a very low premium amount. This is due to one of the clauses in the deductible scheme.
- The waiting period and limitations for covering any medical condition are similar to that of a basic health insurance plan which is a hassle-free process.
- Most companies provide cashless claims on their super top-up policies. This would prevent the last-minute rush for cash.
- There are a variety of deductible amount options allowed by companies. This can suit up to the need of the medical condition.
Health insurance policies are a boon at times of need. The basic or super top-up plan is a way to opt for the type of coverage one needs according to their needs. As the medical facilities are too costly, it is recommended to take super top-up plans along with a basic plan. This would help in covering the extremely high expenses of hospitalization and advanced medical facilities.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.