Tips For Successful Filing Of Car Insurance Claim
Published On Nov 18, 2020, Updated On Feb 21, 2023
How can you ensure your car insurance claim is not rejected? Read this article to find out.
If you own a car, it is now mandatory to have at least a third-party insurance policy for your car. However, it is also advised that you purchase one because it comes with a number of benefits. Car insurance is like protection for your car and hence you as well. In case of a mishap damages to your car, a third party, damage due to fire or even if your car gets stolen are covered with car insurance, meaning you will be compensated for it. Here are some tips to ensure the claims you make in case of a mishap are successful. Click here to read the dos and don’ts of car insurance.
Things to Remember When Filing for Car Insurance Claim
The following are some tips to remember when filing for Car Insurance:
- Inform Your Insurance Company At The Earliest: The best chances at successful claim come with early notification to the insurance company. The possible delays in such occasions are provided for, however, if you wait too long since the mishap your claim can be refused on the grounds of the time elapsed since the event.
- Do Not Repair or Modify Your Car Without Informing: In the event of a mishap, you must inform the insurance company and only if they say yes can you send your car for repair if you want compensation for it. Similarly, car insurance covers existing accessories, any changes made without informing can be grounds for not paying claims for the same. Click here to read more about cashless garages.
- Collect Information: Whether it is a natural calamity, a fire, or accident, collect as much information as you can of the incident. You can also make a video or take pictures that clearly show the damage to the vehicle, it will help you when filing for a claim.
- File an FIR: In case of an incident that involves another party or an on the road accident, filing an FIR is compulsory and will be required as one of the documents in filing for car insurance claim. Click here to read about third party insurance.
- Get a No-Trace Certificate From the Police: If you are filing for the claim for a stolen car, you will need to obtain no trace certificate after filing for an FIR confirming that the police could not trace your vehicle. This document is compulsory for stolen car cases.
How to File for a Car Insurance Claim?
The following steps are a guide to filing for car insurance claim:
Step 1: Call your agent, as soon as possible even if you are not at fault when a mishap occurs.
Step 2: Follow the instruction given to you by the agent and provide the required documents depending on your situation.
Step 3: When filing for a claim keep a record of who you spoke with, what they said, along with their contact details. Your insurance company may ask for these details.
Step 4: After you complete the required formalities, contact your agent to know when and how the claim will be processed.
Having car insurance adds a layer of protection to the car and can bring you relative financial stability in the face of life’s uncertainties. We come to rely on our insurance in times of crisis, hence, if our claims are rejected it can be disappointing. Following the above mentioned tips will ensure your claim has the highest possibility for success. To improve your standard car insurance click here.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.