Tips For Taking Care of Covid-19 Patients At Home
Updated On Apr 23, 2021
The coronavirus has scared people all over the world, especially the elderly and those with an underlying condition. But not all people go terribly sick with the infection and most people experience mild symptoms and can be treated at home with covid-19. By following simple self-hygiene measures and by taking adequate rest, a balanced diet, and medicines, it is possible to manage mild covid infection at home.
Protocol for Home Care Management of Coronavirus Infection
The common symptoms of covid-19 are fever, fatigue, cough, and breathing problems. If the symptoms are not severe, they can be treated at home like any other cold or flu. The Protocol for home care management of Covid-19 are,
1. Rest:Take plenty of rest and sleep adequately. Good rest will speed up the recovery process and prevent unwanted exertions.
2. Fluids:Drinking plenty of water will help to cleanse the body and flushing out the virus. With fluid replacement, we can fight dehydration and prevent the condition from getting worse.
3. Take Medicines Appropriately: Over the counter, medicines can be used to treat mild fever and cold. Also, doctors will prescribe zinc, vitamin C, and other supplemental medicines to maintain rich immunity levels.
4. Food: It is important to eat a balanced diet that is rich in protein. Whole grams, eggs, milk with turmeric should be a part of the everyday diet to build a strong defense in the body.
5. Monitor: It is good to monitor oxygen saturation levels with the help of pulse oximeters. It is important to watch for worsening of symptoms and notify the health care provider immediately.
Protecting Self While Caring for Others with Covid-19
While caring for family members with covid diagnosis, the caretaker should take many precautions to prevent cross-infection. These precautions are,
1. Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least twenty seconds.
2. Consider using a hand sanitizer with 60% alcohol content.
3. While sharing the same room with the infected person, wear a mask, and maintain at least a two-meter distance from the ill person.
4. Clean the different surfaces of the home such as floors, tabletops, doorknobs, etc., with wipes and sprays.
5. Handle the sick person’s clothes with gloves and wash them in the machine. Wash hands thoroughly after removing the gloves.
6. Avoid contact with the bodily fluids of the sick person, especially respiratory waste.
7. Wash hands thoroughly before and after removing the mask and the gloves.
When to Seek Emergency Medical Attention?
While treating a Covid positive person at home, it is important to watch for all emergency warning signs. It is important to seek immediate medical care when the following symptoms emerge.
- The person suddenly faces trouble in breathing.
- When they feel persistent pain or pressure in the chest.
- Unexplained confusion and altered state of mind.
- Bluish discoloration of the face and the lips.
Most people with mild coronavirus symptoms can be treated at home with guidance from a healthcare practitioner. It is important to stay away from others and practice cleanliness protocol to protect self and others at home.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.