Do Health Insurance Plans Cover Mental Illness?
Published On Nov 19, 2020 5:30 AM By Sakshi Aggarwal
Mental health issues have extended recently. With the increase in mental health awareness in people now we understand the importance of mental health. Mental illnesses need special attention and require a huge expense. So getting health insurance coverage would provide great support while dealing with such illnesses.
Are Mental Illnesses Covered Under Health Insurance Plans?
Health insurance companies consider any ailment as mental illness solely according to the Mental Health Act, 2017. This act includes “disorientation in thinking, mood, memory, or perception in which the individual is not able to make judgments or complete the ordinary demands of life and also the mental conditions associated with alcohol and drug abuse.”
So any person who fits these criteria according to this act would be considered mentally ill. The treatment of mental illness includes medication, medical procedure, consultation, and hospitalization. To cope with such expenditure, an individual needs health coverage. With several exclusions, some companies give coverage for mental illnesses through health insurance plans. This plan would provide support at times of need.
Also Read: Health Insurance Policy For The Physically And Mentally Challenged People
Exclusions In Health Insurance Plans
A mental health plan has exclusions that are not included under the coverage. One of the most common exceptions is mental retardation. As mental retardation is not a sudden mental illness, a person who is mentally retarded cannot be given this coverage. Also, the mental health issues rising due to substance abuse or alcohol would not be considered under this plan.
Coverage and Waiting Period in Mental Health Coverage
Read below to understand coverage and waiting period in mental health coverage:
- The mental health coverage includes hospitalization, OPD cost, doctor’s consultation, and rehabilitation.
- This plan can only be availed concerning the waiting period.
- If a mental disorder is already present then the waiting period is 2 to 3 years
- The sum insured for this coverage starts from Rs 5 lakh to Rs 10 lakh.
- Some companies provide their mental health coverage according to specific age groups like mental illness like for autism the coverage can be given to the patients of 3 to 25 years of age.
Also Read: Simple Tips for Anxiety Management
Benefits of Mental Health Coverage
A mental health coverage offers the following benefits:
- As the coverage is provided according to the Mental Health Act, 2017, it is easy to decide when a person can avail of mental health coverage or not.
- The fees of a psychologist or therapist are Rs 1500- Rs. 2000 Approximately. The amount insured by this plan can cover these expenses.
- Some plans also provide sublimit for preexisting mental illness.
- This plan covers major expenses like hospitalization or rehabilitation.
- Mental health coverage given by health insurance companies is a hassle-free claim settlement procedure.
Mental health disorders are common these days. To treat such a disorder, it is not possible to have an ample amount of money. So in such an emergency, we all need support. Health insurance companies relieve our stress by providing mental health coverage as a helping hand. Hence one should avail such a great plan and make their future secure.
You May Also Like to Read: How to Take Care of Your Mental Health During the Coronavirus Outbreak
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.