How to File Bike Insurance Claim
Updated On Aug 06, 2020
How to File Bike Insurance Claim
Undoubtedly a bike insurance plan ensures utmost peace of mind while riding a bike. It offers you many benefits by covering you against unforeseen expenses in case of a mishap. Thus, knowing how to claim these benefits becomes important.
What is a Two Wheeler Insurance Claim?
Bike insurance claim is a request that a bike insurance policyholder submits to an insurance company in order to avail policy benefits. There are two types of claims in bike insurance. Read below to understand them:
1. Cashless Bike Insurance Claim
As the name suggests, this is a completely cashless process. This means that if you make a cashless claim against your bike insurance policy, then you will not have to pay anything except for the deductibles you have agreed upon and the rest will be taken care of by the insurance company. A deductible is a compulsory and voluntary part of the claim amount that you have to pay every time a claim arises.
Note that every insurance company has tie-up with garages where the insured can avail cashless services as per the terms and conditions of their bike insurance policy. These are known as network garages.
2. Reimbursement Bike Insurance Claim
In the reimbursement process, you are required to pay for the repairs from your own pocket first after informing the insurance company. Then you raise a claim for the expense and the insurance company reimburses the repair amount after subtracting the deductible amount. You can get your bike repaired at a non-network garage of your choice.
Note that a non-network garage is where you are required to pay the bills on your own for the services taken and then make a claim for reimbursement.
How to Make a Bike Insurance Claim?
You may be aware that there are different types of bike insurance policies that offer different benefits. These are third party bike insurance policy, standalone own-damage bike insurance policy, and comprehensive bike insurance policy. Third party bike insurance policy covers you for third party liabilities, standalone own-damage bike insurance policy covers you for the expenses incurred due to damages sustained by your bike, and comprehensive bike insurance policy offers financial protection against the third party expenses as well as own damages incurred by your bike.
With different bike insurance policies, the claim process for them also varies. Read below to understand.
1. Third Party Bike Insurance Claim Process
If your bike meets an accident or hits a third party, then follow the steps below to make a claim:
- Immediately inform the police and your insurance company
- The insurance company will forward your claim to Motor Insurance Claim Tribunal Court for verdict after registering it
- After verification, the Motor Insurance Claim Tribunal Court will decide the amount to be paid.
2. Own Damage Bike Insurance Claim Process
Follow the steps given below in case your bike is damaged due to accident or natural or man-made calamity:
- Inform your insurance company within the stipulated time. File an FIR immediately (in case of accident)
- An investigating officer will be appointed to examine the damages. After survey, the officer will send the report to the garage to start the repairing
- The insurance company will directly settle the expenses with the network garage. In case of reimbursement claim (for services availed at non-network garage), the insurance company will reimburse the amount as per the terms and conditions stated under the policy.
3. Claim Process in Case of Theft
Follow the steps below to make bike insurance claim in case of theft:
- Immediately file an FIR and inform your insurer
- Submit the documents related to your bike
- The police will issue an untraceable certificate after 90 days in case it is unable to find the bike
- On the basis of investigation, the insurance company will consider it as total loss and pay up to the Insured Declared Value
Documents Required to File a Bike Insurance Claim
You are required to submit the following documents to claim two wheeler insurance:
- Duly filled claim form along with your signature
- Copy of Driving License
- Copy of RC (Registration Certificate)
- Copy of first two pages of the policy document
- FIR in case of accidental damage
- Original bill of repairs, cash receipt, and the proof of release.
Now that you have mastered the bike insurance claim process, you must learn that having a bike insurance policy does not give you a license to drive carelessly on the road. It does not mean that you do not need to obey traffic rules or can cause damage to others sharing the road with you.
So, ride safely but FIRST get insured before anything else.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.