Two Wheeler Theft Claim Settlement Process Online
Updated On Mar 16, 2021
How to file for claim if your car is stolen? Read this article to know everything about the process.
Bike thefts are common in India. And thus despite parking their bikes in designated parking areas, bike owners often fear losing their dream bike. This is where a reliable bike insurance policy comes handy. A bike insurance policy can not save you from theft but can always protect you from the financial losses which you may incur in case of a misfortune event.
But before we get into the insurance claim process for a stolen bike, let us first understand, What a theft cover in insurance is?
Theft cover in bike insurance policy covers you in case your bike gets stolen. You can avail this cover and breathe easy if you own either a standalone own-damage bike insurance policy or a comprehensive bike insurance policy.
Read on to know the insurance claim process in case your bike gets stolen.
Insurance Claim Process For Stolen Bike
Filing a claim under your bike insurance policy is not any rocket science. You are just required to follow the simple steps mentioned below:
1. File a First Information Report (FIR)
Filing an FIR is the first and most important step in filing a claim under your bike insurance policy. You are required to do this at the nearest police station as soon as you get to know about the mishap. Keep a copy of the FIR as the insurance company will require the same.
2. Inform Your Insurance Provider
Do not delay in informing your insurance company about the theft as they may have their own process to carry out which may take time. They might assign a Claim Inspector to handle the issue. It is advised to cooperate with the inspector and answer the questions honestly.
3. Intimate the Road Transport Office (RTO)
It is mandatory by law to inform the Road Transport Office about the theft. You will be required to complete all the formalities according to the rules of your RTO.
4. Submit Untraceable Report
If the police is unable to trace your bike after 90 days, then they will issue you an untraceable report and the matter will move to the court of law. The court will issue a Non-Objection Certificate (NOC) after which the insurance company will begin with its own investigation.
5. Claim Process At the Insurance Company
If the insurance company is unable to trace the bike, then it will begin the claim process. Submit the required documents and you will receive the claim amount.
Documents required for Insurance Claim Process For Stolen Bike
You are required to submit the following to make a claim for your stolen bike:
- Your driving license
- Copy of registration certificate of your bike
- Copy of driving license
- FIR document
- Transfer papers from the RTO
- Duly filled claim settlement form with your signatures
- Original keys of your bike
Tips to Avoid Two Wheeler Insurance Claim Rejection:
The following are some tips to follow to avoid claim rejection:
- Honesty: When filing for a claim be completely honest and transparent about the mishap. In case there is some form of discrepancy that appears due to the wrong information or untruthfulness your claim can be cancelled.
- Delay in Informing: When a mishap occurs, inform the insurance provider as soon as possible. If you wait too long the insurance company can use the delay as a reason for refusing to compensate for the losses.
- Adding Accessories: When you add or remove certain accessories in the car you must inform the insurance provider as they account for the car parts when calculating the insurance premium. If there are changes made without informing the insurance company and there is repair required on the same part the insurance company can refuse to pay the compensation.
- Illegal Driving: Driving while intoxicated, with an invalid or expired license etc., is considered illegal and any mishaps that occur due to these types of behaviour is not compensated.
- Collect Information: When applying for a claim, collect as much information as possible for the claim process, it will make the entire process much faster and more full-proof.
- Geographical Limits: Keep in mind that all the bike insurance companies only offer their services within India’s borders. Hence any mishap or robbery that occurs outside the country will not be compensated.
- Renewal: Keep in mind, in case your policy has expired/lapsed when you make a claim, it is not valid. The insurance company in such a situation has no obligation to compensate for the losses. Hence, remembering to renew the insurance on time is crucial.
Points to Know About Two-Wheeler Theft Claim Settlement
When it comes to claim settlement, the coverage for stolen two-wheeler vehicles is easy to gain. Here are some significant points which you need to know with which you can get your claim settled without any hassle:
- Opt for Optimum IDV – The policyholder can reduce the two-wheeler insurance premium by opting for a lower amount of Insured Declared Value (IDV). However, it is always recommended to select a higher premium amount and select the most suitable IDV as it could prove to be a saviour for you while making a claim in a situation where your two-wheeler gets stolen. You should select an IDV based on the factors like CC, make, model, etc.
- When Stolen Bike Is Recovered – If your two-wheeler vehicle is recovered after being stolen, in such a condition, you will not be eligible to get any amount of claim from your two-wheeler insurance company. In case, your bike or scooter was under a loan, then your insurance company can reimburse the payout amount to the financier of your motorcycle or bike, while you will be entitled to pay the remaining amount.
- Renew Two-Wheeler Insurance – An expired two-wheeler vehicle insurance plan is of no use. You must timely renew your two-wheeler insurance policy to keep it active. The must suggested and suitable way to renew a two-wheeler insurance policy is through the online mode as it saves time and money for policyholders. In short, your bike or scooter is precious, hence, to seek any claim against its loss or damage, you should constantly renew its plan without any break.
Now that you know what is to be done if you do not find your bike at the parking spot, you must also know the importance of renewing our bike insurance policy. Without a valid bike insurance policy, you will not be able to avail of any benefits for your lost possession and hence always keep it handy and keep it active before it gets lapsed.
At InsuranceDekho, you can not only purchase a reliable bike insurance policy but renew it too. So, to ensure that you stay protected against a misfortune event such as bike theft, keep it covered at all times with an active bike insurance policy.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.