Consequences of Driving a Two Wheeler Without Insurance Policy in India
Updated On Mar 16, 2021
Is Insurance Compulsory? What are the consequences of not having one? Read this article to find out.
It is estimated that more than 70% of two-wheelers plying on the roads are uninsured. This is primarily because people are unaware of the benefits of bike insurance policies or they tend to forget to renew them timely.
Whatever the reason, if you are caught riding without a relevant bike insurance policy on the Indian roads, then you will be punished.
Fine for Driving Two-wheeler without Insurance
As per the new Motor vehicles Act, the penalty for not having a third party liability bike insurance policy has been doubled from Rs. 1,000 to Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment for up to 3 months.
Other Fines For Traffic Violations
Not only for riding without a bike insurance policy, but the legislation provides for strict punishment for many traffic related offences. These include the following:
- A compensation of Rs. 5 lakh for death and Rs. 2.5 lakh for grievous injury in a motor vehicle accident case.
- Penalties for Rs. 1,000-Rs. 2,000 for over speeding
- Fine of Rs. 5,000 for driving dangerously
- Fine of Rs. 1,000 and suspension of license for 3 months for driving without a helmet
Pay for Third Party and Own-Damage Expenses
In a collision or a mishap, if you accidently harm any person or his property, you will be held liable to pay for the damages or losses sustained by the person, which is known as a third party liability. If your two-wheeler vehicle is covered with a third party liability insurance policy, then it covers the losses incurred by you towards a third party, otherwise, you would have to bear the losses incurred, where if the person dies, your financial liability could be too high to bear. Apart from bearing the losses caused to a third party, you could also have to bear damages suffered by your own vehicle in the absence of a standalone or own-damage two-wheeler insurance. Hence, driving without a bike insurance plan, the onus of paying for the repairs is on you and due to the high cost associated with the repairs of your car, a financial crisis is inevitable.
Hence, it is a wise option to go for at least a third party bike insurance policy to ride legally on the Indian roads.
How to Buy a Bike Insurance Policy Online?
To purchase a bike insurance policy online at InsuranceDekho, you must follow the simple steps given below:
- Visit insurancedekho.com.
- Select your bike’s Make, Model, Variant, and Fuel Type.
- Select the City of Registration and Year of Purchase.
- Tell us ‘Have you made a claim in the previous year?’ by selecting yes or no.
- Click on ‘Calculate’. You will find the right IDV and premium for bike insurance policy on your screen.
- Pay bike insurance premium online for the selected policy via secured payment gateway.
Congratulations, the bike insurance policy is yours. Now you don’t have to pay hefty fines or be punished for riding without insurance on the Indian roads.
Note that you will receive the policy documents within the stipulated time via email.
What are the Types of Two-Wheeler Insurance?
When purchasing insurance it is best to do it online. With a few clicks, you can compare different two-wheeler insurance companies, the quotes they offer and their network of cashless garages. However, with the choices online it is important to know some of the basics of two-wheeler insurance and make an informed decision. One of the most basic things to know is that there are three main types of two-wheeler insurance in India, based on the coverage they provide:
- Third Party Insurance: This is the type of mentioned above, without which you can be fined, It takes care of third party liabilities in case of a mishap including bodily injuries, death and property damage.
- Standalone Own-Damage Insurance: This type of insurance provides compensation for damages to the policyholder’s two-wheeler in case of a mishap. It is not a compulsory cover.
- Comprehensive Insurance: As the name suggests, this type of insurance covers the cost of both third-party liabilities and own-damage costs in case of a mishap. Moreover, it provides both under a single premium making it the most trouble-free option of the three.
Wrapping It Up!
To avoid multiple losses and complications of riding without a bike insurance policy on the Indian roads, you must buy a relevant bike insurance policy and keep renewing it before expiry.
Nowadays it has become really easy to own a bike insurance policy. All you need to do is make the best use of technology and get your bike covered within a few minutes online.
To make the process simpler, you can even get in touch with the knowledgeable customer care executives at InsuranceDekho and share your requirements over call. They will help you own the best bike insurance policy that will ensure you have a stress free ride.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.